Zomei ND1000 Neutral Density Filters...

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
These are available on Amazon in (at least) 77mm and 82mm sizes, reasonably priced, allegedly use Schott glass and no overt colour cast...
I wondered if anyone here had tried one?

I have a 10 stop Zomei (100x100mm) and the colour cast is minimal, approx 100 - 150k colour temp compared to an unfiltered shot of a colour card. It does subtly effect certain colour tones differently too but again from quick initial testing nothing extreme that can't be sorted in post to taste anyway. My only concern was i had a reduction in sharpness but the washing machine was going in another room and with wood floors / joists it's quite possible tiny vibrations impacted it (22min exposure). I need to retest with a bagged up tripod in better surroundings to get a conclusive answer.

Also have an Haida 10 stop 77mm too and do plan on comparing it to the Zomei.

I use a CPL in 77mm and find the quality excellent, so I guess the rest of their range would be equally as good.

Bring this back from the "dead" - is HAIDA = ZOMEI just in a different box?

And could I expect a better colour reproduction than againg Hoya ND 400? I don't get much of a cast but just nothing can make the image look same as unfiltered particularly in the browns and oranges.

I’d be very surprised if Haida and zomei are the same thing. The quality level of the two brands seem poles apart but I could be wrong. Very happy with my 10 stop Haida. I’ve had fewer issues with it than my previous Lee and Hitech 10 stoppers. My only gripe was that it did not have the gasket already stuck on when it arrived. No issue if you’re talking screw ins though.

I’d be very surprised if Haida and zomei are the same thing. The quality level of the two brands seem poles apart but I could be wrong. Very happy with my 10 stop Haida. I’ve had fewer issues with it than my previous Lee and Hitech 10 stoppers. My only gripe was that it did not have the gasket already stuck on when it arrived. No issue if you’re talking screw ins though.

Both proclaim to use German Schott glass (or any of the misspellings); yongnuo for example has a few other retail names... That's what you see in China a lot so I just wondered if that's another one. I can't really see too many new Haida filters any more by the way - none in AliExpress at all.

I'm looking at screw in.

Would you have any examples with something like brown hills in the golden hour or anything with those sort of colours? Maybe colorful skies, etc?

Both proclaim to use German Schott glass (or any of the misspellings); yongnuo for example has a few other retail names... That's what you see in China a lot so I just wondered if that's another one. I can't really see too many new Haida filters any more by the way - none in AliExpress at all.

I'm looking at screw in.

Would you have any examples with something like brown hills in the golden hour or anything with those sort of colours? Maybe colorful skies, etc?

There’s a decent review here - https://www.philstarkeyphotography.co.uk/blog-reviews/haida-filter-review

Haida are quite a lot pricier than Zomei I think. I have a 10 stop and there seems to be very little or no colour cast. I haven’t tried the screw in filters but I imagine the quality is the same.

I'm looking at screw in.

I’m on my phone at present and have no idea how to link a Flickr image but if you find my Flickr link on my profile there is a fairly recent image of roker pier using the Haida 10 stop. Think it’s the only one in there though. Not sure how much you can really glean from a single image in all honesty but it always seems pretty good in terms of colour casts or other nasties.

Back