Zoo photography days

Name
Have a guess.....
Edit My Images
Yes
As above, but are these really worth the £150+ price tag for what you get out of it. The reason why I'm asking is I'm planning to go on an African safari in 2013 and feel like I need to improve a great deal to get the most out of going.

What's your thoughts?

Andy

As above, but are these really worth the £150+ price tag for what you get out of it. The reason why I'm asking is I'm planning to go on an African safari in 2013 and feel like I need to improve a great deal to get the most out of going.

What's your thoughts?

Andy

I've never been on a Zoo photography day but I did go on one at a bird of prey centre this year and it was a great day. I suppose it depends on what the zoo is offering - will you be going into any enclosures or getting pro tuition of any kind?

I haven't been on a Zoo day but have been on a couple of Wildlife Heritage Foundation days with TP an can say most definately yes. Although I would imagine shooting up close and personal with the Zoo days are going to be different to a real Safari as your handed fantastic shots on a plate.

I've seen a couple of days advertised at Colchester Zoo with a pro tog. As far as I'm aware entry to enclosures are not allowed due to safety reasons.
The day was described as, half class based and half practical. Now I'm presuming the class bit will be processing/getting the most from your image but this is only a presumption

Perhaps somewhere like Longleat would be better at least you would be among the animals like, lions, tigers, wolves, deer & antelope, monkeys, giraffe, zebra.

I went there last year and it was a great day out, but you could do with a least a couple of days to see it properly.

Andy, don't know if you've seen but Cobra is organising a Whipsnade meet in January, if you can come along, plenty of experienced people there to help you out.
TBH I don't think zoo photography and safari and anything aliketry stalking squirrels in your local park to get a clue :LOL:

Daysleeper40 said:
Is it this one?

http://www.colchester-zoo.com/index.cfm?fa=content.list&page=232&section=13

What is your current skill level because the same company do more advanced courses which sound quite good and has various locations to choose from:

http://www.bigcatphotography.co.uk/wildlife-photography-course
http://www.bigcatphotography.co.uk/advancedwildlifephotography

Thats the one. TBH I know my way round a camera (well my old camera, still working out stuff on my new one) but I wouldn't go so far as to say intermediate either

Perhaps somewhere like Longleat would be better at least you would be among the animals like, lions, tigers, wolves, deer & antelope, monkeys, giraffe, zebra.

I went there last year and it was a great day out, but you could do with a least a couple of days to see it properly.

Hmmm.. I feel a meet coming

Andy, don't know if you've seen but Cobra is organising a Whipsnade meet in January, if you can come along, plenty of experienced people there to help you out.
TBH I don't think zoo photography and safari and anything aliketry stalking squirrels in your local park to get a clue :LOL:

I'm hoping to get to the meet, be nice to actually meet people from here as well.
I don't need to stalk squirrels at my local park, they're so friendly they sit on your lap if you sit down for 5 mins :LOL: (either that or they think I'm :wacky: )

Thats the one. TBH I know my way round a camera (well my old camera, still working out stuff on my new one) but I wouldn't go so far as to say intermediate either

Then a TP meet sounds like a good option - build up your confidence and then maybe you could go on an intermediate / advanced course if you feel like you need more classroom based stuff. I think just getting out there and practising with some more experienced people on hand will help no end (y)

(says she who is still trying to build up the courage to go to a TP meet :bonk:)

Funny you should say that Andy because I had that idea go through my head as well.

I think we need to make this happen (y)

Perhaps in the new year when everything has quietened down a bit we can look at a time and place.

sounds good to me :)

Ooooh count me in too (y)

hey mate, I've been looking through the shots taken in the past on Barberas courses, and I reckon you are already of a similar standard. I think its more of an introductory photography course - why do I say this? Well two reasons, firstly you get no additional access above and beyond and secondly so far this year I've spent around 10 hours hanging round the leopard enclosure and have yet to get either a great shot or an opportunity to get a great shot. With that in mind how does anyone get taught how to get a great shot in half a day split with the rest of the zoo?

Don't get me wrong its a good course and I'll probably put my missus on it, I just think your a bit beyond it.

Anyway, I'm up for a meet at Colchester Zoo

What's your thoughts?

Andy

No point then in taking photos of penquins at a Zoo :LOL::LOL:

Realspeed

hey mate, I've been looking through the shots taken in the past on Barberas courses, and I reckon you are already of a similar standard. I think its more of an introductory photography course - why do I say this? Well two reasons, firstly you get no additional access above and beyond and secondly so far this year I've spent around 10 hours hanging round the leopard enclosure and have yet to get either a great shot or an opportunity to get a great shot. With that in mind how does anyone get taught how to get a great shot in half a day split with the rest of the zoo?

Don't get me wrong its a good course and I'll probably put my missus on it, I just think your a bit beyond it.

Anyway, I'm up for a meet at Colchester Zoo

sounds good to me.... how about when the kiddies go back to school sound?

I rather spend that money on something else. Maybe the British Wildlife centre at least they are going soon good. Don't really understand why anyone would want to photgraphy zoo animals.

Nothing here can compare with taking photos believe me. Totally surreal experience, and just go and enjoy it and it will all come naturally.

I went in 2009 and going back in 2011 just to take it all in again.

Wildlife parks are your best bet as no fences etc, and don't think you will always need a long lens because some of the animals are so so close.

Still you have lots of time to prepeare if not going till 2013(y)

I rather spend that money on something else. Maybe the British Wildlife centre at least they are going soon good. Don't really understand why anyone would want to photgraphy zoo animals.

Simple answer, for some its the only way to photograph them. Its not everyone can travel the world to take pictures of animals in their natural habitat.
Realspeed

Just one example - there are 35 amur leopards left in the wild. Amur leopards run at speeds of 35mph and live on the far east of Russia. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time stood by the leopard enclosure at Colchester Zoo and have yet to get a decent shot of one. Now thats me knowing exactly where the leopard is, and her being reasonably contained in a very large enclosure. Now out in the wild, over an area the size of the UK, how long would it take me to actually find a leopard to be still long enough to be photographed?

There is a very real threat of extinction in the wild for amur leopards and right now the zoo breeding programme for reintroduction into the wild looks to be the best hope. Zoos don't just display animals for commercial gain, Colchester for example is an EAZA member and plays an active part in conservation and breedin programmes. You can read more about it here

So why do I want to take photos of animals in zoos? Because in my lifetime there is a very real threat that a lot of species will become extinct.

Back