Tutorial Zoo Photography Tips.

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
cosmix3 submitted a new resource:

Zoo Photography Tips. - Zoo Photography Tips.

Was asked to put this together for cowasaki's (Darren) Zoo Meet, we decided that it may as well go in here as well, so here you go, hope it is of use to you :D

Zoo Photography Tips

Setting the camera up:

What setting's to use, through time an advice I have found the best shooting mode for Zoo shots is to set the Camera to Aperture Priority, as you want to control the Depth of Field on the shots, usually around...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo (y)

Nice one Stuart, thanks for doing this. Will post a link in the Zoo thread :)

I have added a link to this thread to the Chester Zoo thread : LINK

Last edited:
Great tips Stuart thanks,will be hopefully going the chester meet so will come in very useful.

Cosmix

If you don't mind I'll print this out a few times A5 and laminate them. I will bring them on the day.

That way we can share a few and try and improve a little, or in my case a lot :D

Cosmix

If you don't mind I'll print this out a few times A5 and laminate them. I will bring them on the day.

That way we can share a few and try and improve a little, or in my case a lot :D

No probs, not sure if Darren is doing that already though :D

Nice one Stu (y)
Might be worth putting in some tips about shooting through glass/fences? Basically get as close to the glass/fence if possible, with the lens touching the glass/fence if possible.

Nice one Stu (y)
Might be worth putting in some tips about shooting through glass/fences? Basically get as close to the glass/fence if possible, with the lens touching the glass/fence if possible.

Thought I had missed something, will add it on, thanks. :D

I will print a good few copies just beforehand allowing Stuart to add anything he likes until then. I will also do some lists of all the animal pictures being requested via Rob and some maps.

Thanks for this tutorial. Im always going to zoo's and comming out dissapointed.

I hope you don't mind im printing out a copy to put into my photography bag.

Last edited:
Thanks for this tutorial. Im always going to zoo's and comming out dissapointed.

I hope you don't mind im printing out a copy to put into my photography bag.

Feel freee to, it's here to help :D

I think this will be printed out and placed in many camera bags.

Many thanks.

I wish I'd thought to look for some tips on zoo photography before today as, at a loose end, I visited Edinburgh Zoo, and it doesn't look like any of the 400+ pictures are going to be kept. Still, the zoo's only an hour and a half away, so I can always get back and try again. Light, glass, and wire meshes really were the bane of my life, today. That, and animals that don't earn their keep and sleep when they should be strutting past for the camera.

Last edited:
Hopefully (weather permitting) taking the kids to Belfast Zoo tomorrow, so many thanks for the tips Stuart.

With any luck, I'll get some good shots and be brave enough to post a few.

Visted Zoo yesterday and had a great day out. Took about 400 photos and a quick look last night, I'd say I'm happy with about 30 - 40 and well pleased with a couple.

It was almost too good a day yesterday. Being so warm and sunny, most of the animals had the sense to stay inside, great for them, but not great for photos :crying:

The glass and wire fences were a real pain, especially the glass, as a lot of it was angled, so meaning blocking out light was a real problem.

Another problem I had was the 3 kids :LOL:

Quite difficult to use the camera, when they're wanting lifted on your shoulders, or tugging at your t-shirt. But then it wouldn't be the same if the kids weren't there.

Once again, thanks for the tips, I'm certain that they helped up the number of keeper photos.

thanks a lot for the tips. brilliant!
about glass enclosures, pardon my stupidity, isnt it possible to use cpls to reduce reflections to a certain extent? we cant really get close enough to touch the glasses in most cases. and then there are all sorts of reflections, from people and worse, from overhead lights in some angles.

No problem, a CPL may do that, but you would lose 1 or 2 stops from it, which would impact on shutter speed, this could make it harder for you.

Last edited:
Great info, it's sure to come to some very good use, sharing is caring!

Back