Zoom advice please

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks.

I'm looking for your input/comments please. I'm in the market for a new zoom which I'll be using for wildlife/birds/my boys playing (you get the idea) & am thinking of the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. It seems to have good reviews and is within my budget but I'd really like to hear from people that have used/are using it. Maybe you'd advise something else?
It will be on a 400D.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian

Value for money wise have you considered the Sigma 70-300mm 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro? I have one i use with my 400D and have found it to be a lovely lens and as silly as it sounds actually felt better built than the canon to me.

Hello Ian,

I have used the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM since I purchased it new in March last year along with my 40D. I have found it to be a great lens and have always been very pleased with the results.

Whilst I have now just purchased a Canon 100-400mm, given the size and weight of this I will most certainly be keeping the 70-300mm as it is nice and light and I don't have any issues with carrying it around all day.

Sorry I am not able to help with any details about the Sigma lens mentioned by StuntMonkey.

Andy

I had a 70-300 IS before my 70-200 F4 IS L. I'm going to get another one. Very, very nice lens, sharp, contrasty, good range, little distortion.

I went for the Sigma 70-300 and I'm glad I did! I have had some decent results macro wise with it for butterflies etc. I agree with Stuntmonkey, It DOES feeol better than the Canon!

Thanks all for your replies so far.

I don't need the macro side as I already have that covered with another lens. It's just for the longer stuff really.

Back