zoom compact for surveillance video?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
I need a solution for surveillance of the road / car from the house window. I can't afford buying a new mirror for my car every day so I would want to catch the scum in the act next time.

I narrowed down the base video settings to 50-70mm FF equiv., 1080p 30p set at 1/1000s (a thousandth to freeze number plates) auto aperture and iso, continuous recording to hard drive, or PC or failing that 512gb sd card, sensor as close to 1" as we can get.

I don't think any consumer level off the shelf solutions get anywhere near these specs

Police won’t do anything even with video Evidence.
When I lived in Gloucester, I filmed a group of louts throwing stones at windscreens, kicking mirrors off, jumping on cars etc. Rang 999 and they said they’d send someone out, never saw anyone.
Rang the local station the next day which was 3 minutes away and they said they’d send someone out to get the footage, no one came.
Rang again the next day and they said they’d send someone out if they had time.. never heard any more.

The kids vanadslised about 8 cars on our road causing thousands of pounds worth of damage and the police didn’t give a crap.

The kids vanadslised about 8 cars on our road causing thousands of pounds worth of damage and the police didn’t give a crap.
You should have written to the Divisional Superintendent and copied the Chief Constable. These days a second copy to your Police and Crime Commissioner is a good idea.

Having done something similar in the past, I am confident that rapid action would have followed, if at all possible. However, the police are massively under-resourced as a result of the previous two governments' "austerity" policies. It's inevitable that priorities cannot be what they were before that foolish fashion was adopted.

Nothing to with the Tories, this happened when labour were in power, either Tony Blair or Gordon brown.

West Yorkshire - took pictures of couple 'gentleman' entering a property that was not theirs carying an empty plastic bag and aothers of them carrying a full bag on their exit. Called police, provided discription they were arrested within 5 mins. An hour later I supplied a sequence of 100 images to a couple of slight supprised beat cops who took my 'statement'. The two gents got a free stay in an hmp hotel.

This happened at 8am on unday so the police were not that busy - I suspect the response just depends on the local workload - but the police do like nice clear images....

Why not get a low cost dvr and a decent real cctv camera ?

You can get a decent hilook dvr that works on the latest POE cameras (budget brand of hikvision) for about £80 - add in a surveillance drive from amazon for about £20 - and then connect up to 4 POE cameras - which is basically a network cable that plugs in at either end. No additional power supplies needed. Reasonable POE cameras can be obtained from about £35 each.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion... :banghead: :naughty:

The tories weren’t in Power and hadn’t been for some time, so not an opinion, just fact!
The police have been woefully under funded for much longer than the current run of conservative governments.

The tories weren’t in Power and hadn’t been for some time, so not an opinion, just fact!
Alas, one man's facts are another woman's raised eyebrows. Let's leave it there...

The police have been woefully under funded for much longer than the current run of conservative governments.
They were under-funded & short staffed, QED it must have been the Tories. [emoji6]

So the police were underfunded by Labour...the Tories solution was to cut 20,000 officers. :thinking:

They are so useless in my area they may as well turn the police station into a feature hotel and make officers into room service for repentance

They are so useless in my area they may as well turn the police station into a feature hotel and make officers into room service for repentance
Individual police officers are seldom "useless". Lack of resources plus much time wasted on administration and court appearances means that the overage constable is unlikely to spend more than half their duty hours dealing with their primary task of protecting the public.

A couple of my friends were hit head on ( right next to a school at 8.45am) by a guy who had passed out due to a mixture of cannabis and drink he hit them and then carried on down the pavement until he hit a wall. they carried him out of the van and he still had the joint in his hand and stank of drink, the cops turned up and my two mates pushed to get them to drug/drink test him. they said we can't do that as we would have to go back to the station to get the equipment ! It seems the normal approach around here is to just stab,shoot them or put an arrow in them. The poor cops have lost the battle or any will to do anything about it.

Back