Zoom converter

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would post this on this section of the forum as I'm a relative beginer. I have a Nikon D90 and a Nikon 70-300 VR zoom. I've been thinking of getting a teleconverter just to get that bit closer. I know I will lose a couple of stops but will I loose autofocus and VR as well? I have tried to do some homework on the net but find it all very confusing. Is anyone interested in offering any advise and more importantly any recommendations?

hi, looked into this myself
but have not actually experience, so bear that in mind!

two formats 1.4x and 2.0x
you will lose stops with both, more with the 2.0x
however, VR should be okay, don't see how that is affected physically...but maybe it will be less effective as you'll be at a greater focal length and therefore longer range (more wobble!)
auto focus, generally 1.4x is slower I think, but works, 2.0x may disable it
brands, I would stick to a brand that matches the lens and then check compatibility.
however, I'm not sure a TC would work on a 70-300. the way the lens moves may actually HIT the lens element, depending upon the lens.

so if you had a 70-200, that might work , or a prime.
but the 70-300 long range zooms are often using up the entire body of the lens.
so I would be careful.
there may be a 3rd party one that can accommodate this but the quality would be lower i think.
nikon's website surely has a compatibility list

as I thought
I don't see your lens on this list
http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/...converter-Compatibility/en_US_Comp_chart.html

from here
http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/DrdIaQvRZv/TC_converter_compatibility-EN_01.pdf
is this the right lens??
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED x x x
Not compatible

if this is accurate, using them together might actually damage your kit
70-300mm lenses I think aren't typically meant to be extended because they push to the design limits anyway.
not relevant for this lens but additionally on a 70-200 for example, the effect might be dependant upon the widest aperture, F4, f2.8 etc...just guessing.

recommendation?? don't do it !

Last edited:
Be carefull what lens you attach to a TC. Some are unsuitable to the point where damage may occur due to the rear element of the lens striking the TC.

Last edited:
Back