Zoom for my 70D

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a walk about zoom lens for my Canon 70D. Initially I was looking at the Canon 24-105L but after reading reviews it seems it wouldn't suit a crop sensor camera like the 70D and I would be better spending my money on a Canon 15-85 which is about half the price. Any other lenses I should be considering? I'm not striclty looking at just Canon lenses

FWIW

I have the 24-105mm and bought at the time I used my crop body 7D........yes, it really is not wide enough on crop body at the 24mm end but I lived with that as at the time that lens came highly rated and used now on my 5D3 it is still my walk about lens :)

I have the Canon18-135mm lens, not the best quality lens on the market but the zoom range works well with the crop sensor camera.

I have the EF-S 15-85mm on my 7DII and the missus has an EF-S 18-135mm USM Nano on her 80D. Both perform well.

I have the Canon 17-55 is. Great image quality, and fast f2.8

I highly recommend this lens but it is quite big and expensive.

The benefit of the15-85 would be the longer zoom range (particularly at the wider end in my opinion) and presumably better Image stabilisation. All at the cost of the 2.8 aperture which is very handy.

There is also the sigma 18-35 1.8 art which I don't think has been mentioned. Very sharp zoom lens, but as a walk around you are sacrificing quite a bit of range.

I've got the 24-105mm f4 and use it on a 50d, I really don't have a problem with the wide end. I'm used to it and having never owned a ff camera I have nothing to compare it with.
Before i bought the lens I went through a load of my photos shot with the kit lens (18-55) to see how often I shot below 24mm and it was quite rare, so thought I'm not losing out by not having between 18-23mm.

If you were considering the Canon 24-105 but are put off by the cost then give the Sigma 24-105 Art lens some consideration as it is considerably cheaper and of comparable image quality to the Canon L equivalent. It doesn’t have weather sealing like the Canon, but then your 70D isn’t, and it doesn’t have a red ring, but then it doesn’t have the Canon price tag either.

Back