Zoom Lens Advice for £700

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking for a budget zoom lens for an upgrade from my canon 55-250mm that will give me the best results for the money.

I would like to do wildlife and perhaps try a few airshows. I dont mind second hand ,my budget is £700

Ive been looking at this

•Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Can anybody offer any advice ?

I think ive seen the canon 100-400 go for that second hand:)

or the 300f4 prime?

how about the 70-200... you will prob get an F4 version for a lot under your budget and then can add a 1.4 tc to it if you need some extra reach

Sell your present lens and get a 100-400

Yes sounds like an idea it never crossed my mind , i would of liked to have kept it for what it cost its a great lens for the money .

So would you say the Canon is a much better option even at 100mm less zoom ?

Yes sounds like an idea it never crossed my mind , i would of liked to have kept it for what it cost its a great lens for the money .

So would you say the Canon is a much better option even at 100mm less zoom ?

yep the sigma has its draw backs same as the 100-400 but the canon works better in low light IMHO

Used Canon 100-400 L IS is favourite. Good value and holds its price well. Better than any rival despite being a bit shorter. Sharp, great range, good focusing, has IS. Once of Canon's ace cards.

I would keep your 55-250 as, for what it costs it's very good, and tiny. You won't be wanting to hump that great big 100-400 about when you don't absolutely need it.

Used Canon 100-400 L IS is favourite. Good value and holds its price well. Better than any rival despite being a bit shorter. Sharp, great range, good focusing, has IS. Once of Canon's ace cards.

I would keep your 55-250 as, for what it costs it's very good, and tiny. You won't be wanting to hump that great big 100-400 about when you don't absolutely need it.

Yes sounds like it would be best to save a bit more.

Go read some reviews. Main complaints are its soft at the ends and slow focusing. People can get good results form them but its varing quality from lens to lens put me off one. The 50-500 works better light level wise but the one I tried was way to slow focusing for me.

it appears that there have been some soft copies of the 150-500, well thats the impression i get from reading on the internet, but there are loads of people out there who seem to like it a lot SO TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, i looked at one the other day as i want to buy one at some point when i find something called money......
The build quality is superb, and was well balanced on my 350d, 1 hand on camera and 1 on tripod nracket of lens, os was a tad noisy but it works really well indeed.
Have a look at this link and see what you think

http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Sigma Photos.htm

Back