Zoom lens advice for DX camera for portraits on a budget

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

So I have a midrange zoom that ends at 50mm but I use it on a crop body so equivalent fov 75mm. I was thinking of getting an 85mm 1.8 but it is a little expensive for me and I find it to be too long at almost 130 efov on crop. I used it before and as I do mostly 2/3 body shots outdoors I am so far from the subject with this lens that I have to raise my voice or shout to communicate with the person! Especially in the city where I mostly shoot. People also walking between me and the subject :) Even outside, space can of course be an issue. What would be better is a zoom perhaps that covers the in between focal lengths. Any recommendations on an inexpensive telephoto lens that is not terrible for less than 300 dollars? It can be DX or an older FX lens. So 35mm equivalent 75mm to something over 100mm. The first 50mm or so of the range being the important part.
If someone can suggest a prime lens for the same price that is decent that is also OK as long as it is not anything as tight as an 85 on crop.

I know many people shot or shoot with 135mm primes on full frame cameras but for my shooting style it is so impractical.

Thanks a lot

The difference between 50mm and 85mm isn't thaaaaat big and it you find 85mm too long I don't know why you just don't stick to 50mm?

I'm a bit confused by this as you're saying that the 85mm was too long but then looking for a zoom that's from 75mm to over 100mm? :confused:

I'd assume you want a fast lens for portraits and so f2.8 or wider? If so the obvious lenses for me that wouldn't be as long as an 85mm on crop body would be the Nikon 50mm f1.8g (cracking lens for around £130) or the sigma/tamron 17-50mm f2.8. The only fast tele zoom that I can think of that starts at 70mm are the 70-200mm f2.8's, but these can be quite pricey, but if you're finding 85mm too long I'm not sure that 70mm is going to be that much better?

I'm a bit confused by this as you're saying that the 85mm was too long but then looking for a zoom that's from 75mm to over 100mm? :confused:

I'd assume you want a fast lens for portraits and so f2.8 or wider? If so the obvious lenses for me that wouldn't be as long as an 85mm on crop body would be the Nikon 50mm f1.8g (cracking lens for around £130) or the sigma/tamron 17-50mm f2.8. The only fast tele zoom that I can think of that starts at 70mm are the 70-200mm f2.8's, but these can be quite pricey, but if you're finding 85mm too long I'm not sure that 70mm is going to be that much better?

Yeah thanks for the advice. I hear what you're saying. I just learned never write a post before the first coffee of the morning. I was trying to get something different to the 50mm 1.8 which I have but it actually suits me fine. I also have the Sigma 17-50 2.8. Just one thing, headshots. I rarely take them but the option would be nice. The 85 1.8 is an unnecessary expense for this. What are my alternatives? Cheers

Yeah thanks for the advice. I hear what you're saying. I just learned never write a post before the first coffee of the morning. I was trying to get something different to the 50mm 1.8 which I have but it actually suits me fine. I also have the Sigma 17-50 2.8. Just one thing, headshots. I rarely take them but the option would be nice. The 85 1.8 is an unnecessary expense for this. What are my alternatives? Cheers

As you say DX I assume you're shooting with Nikon (you don't say) so the 55-200VR would be a good budget choice for a zoom in that range.

You might be able to use some of the older lenses also but as you don't say what camera you have I don't know if they will autofocus.

As you say DX I assume you're shooting with Nikon (you don't say) so the 55-200VR would be a good budget choice for a zoom in that range.

You might be able to use some of the older lenses also but as you don't say what camera you have I don't know if they will autofocus.

Yeah it's a D90 so it has a focus motor.

Then maybe an old push-pull 80-200 f/2.8 or a Tamron 90mm macro but then these aren't much different to the 80 1.8 so you may as well get that if portraits are your thing.

What's your budget?

50mm. Any of the (Nikon fit!) AF lenses will AF on the D90. I've been advised to keep my old 50mm f/1.8 AF (pre even D designation!) since at normal apertures (f/2 +) it allegedly outperforms even the f/1.4 versions, although of course it can't do the f/1.4 "eyelashes OOF" trick.

50mm. Any of the (Nikon fit!) AF lenses will AF on the D90. I've been advised to keep my old 50mm f/1.8 AF (pre even D designation!) since at normal apertures (f/2 +) it allegedly outperforms even the f/1.4 versions, although of course it can't do the f/1.4 "eyelashes OOF" trick.
It does outperform the f/1.4D, but is quite a way behind either of the G versions.

What about the Helios 58mm discussed in another thread its very sharp and can be picked up for £30.

I don't think there are alternatives tbh, assuming I'm reading between the lines right? From what I can gather you find 85mm f1.8 too long for general use, but want something in this range for the occasional head shot, is this right? If so the zooms mentioned are an option, but they're not ideal portrait lenses as they're slow (small aperture). There's the macro lenses but they're a similar price to the 85mm f1.8. Have you been looking at used prices, the 85mm f1.8G sells for around £275-285 used, the 85mm f1.8D around £200-225.

It does outperform the f/1.4D, but is quite a way behind either of the G versions.

Not tested mine against any others, just going by the recommendations of 2 different sales persons when I fancied an upgrade. Both (on different occasions, in different shops) advised me against spending money unless I wanted/needed the shallow DoF.

I don't think there are alternatives tbh, assuming I'm reading between the lines right? From what I can gather you find 85mm f1.8 too long for general use, but want something in this range for the occasional head shot, is this right? If so the zooms mentioned are an option, but they're not ideal portrait lenses as they're slow (small aperture). There's the macro lenses but they're a similar price to the 85mm f1.8. Have you been looking at used prices, the 85mm f1.8G sells for around £275-285 used, the 85mm f1.8D around £200-225.

I just picked up an 85 1.8 D for 200 pounds including delivery on ebay. Not too shabby. Cheers

I just picked up an 85 1.8 D for 200 pounds including delivery on ebay. Not too shabby. Cheers
Bit late to this thread as you have already bought your lens.

I also have a d90 and have recently borrowed a mate's 70-210 f4 lens and it is not a bad lens for the price they go for on eBay.

Would love to get the 70-200 f2.8 Nikon or Tamron but they are way out of my price range.

Hi everyone,

So I have a midrange zoom that ends at 50mm but I use it on a crop body so equivalent fov 75mm. I was thinking of getting an 85mm 1.8 but it is a little expensive for me and I find it to be too long at almost 130 efov on crop. I used it before and as I do mostly 2/3 body shots outdoors I am so far from the subject with this lens that I have to raise my voice or shout to communicate with the person! Especially in the city where I mostly shoot. People also walking between me and the subject :) Even outside, space can of course be an issue. What would be better is a zoom perhaps that covers the in between focal lengths. Any recommendations on an inexpensive telephoto lens that is not terrible for less than 300 dollars? It can be DX or an older FX lens. So 35mm equivalent 75mm to something over 100mm. The first 50mm or so of the range being the important part.
If someone can suggest a prime lens for the same price that is decent that is also OK as long as it is not anything as tight as an 85 on crop.

I know many people shot or shoot with 135mm primes on full frame cameras but for my shooting style it is so impractical.

Thanks a lot

So the 85mm is too long for you? You want a zoom between 50-100 where the 50 end is priority, yet you buy a 85 which is closer to the 100 end?

Nikon 60mm 2.8D

One of the sharpest lenses Nikon ever produced, and can be got for about £200 used. great portraiture lens, and does 1:1 macro to boot. Bit of a noisey bugger, but you can't have it all.

Back