Zoom Lens advice

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I have just got into Photography and purchased a nice 40D with low shutter count and a Canon 50mm ( Nifty Fifty ) .

I have had a little play with this combination and i am more than happy with the results so far but i think i will be needing a zoom lens mainly for some night photography that i have planned.

My question is would the Canon 55-250 be an ok choice or would i need to step up to a better lens and i dont mind paying upto around £300 for now.

Any opinions more than welcome.

I guess I need to ask you what you are planning to shoot because I don't really put together focal length with night shots, so to speak. I have a 600d and 17-55 f2.8 that I highly recommend if you can afford it. It does not come off my camera much even though my other lens is the 70-200 2.8 mrk@. The 2.8 will give you much more light for night shooting as well. I personally would stay away from the lenses that have a wide range like 55-250. IMO they do not give as good of image quality.

Ok thankyou i will look into the lens you have mentioned.

Landscapes most of the time city and rural shots.

I should have mentioned that i also like potrait shots and was recommended the Canon 50mm as a starting point.

I should have mentioned that i also like potrait shots and was recommended the Canon 50mm as a starting point.

The 50mm is probably the best buy of any lens. The cost is very low and the quality is good. However I bought one when I started and ever sense I bought the 17-55 I have not used it because I can cover the 50mm range and get just as sharp pics with the 17-55. And no I don't work for them lol I just really love this lens. If you want a much sharper lens than your kit lens and your on a tight budget then the 50 is a great choice. If you are thinking more long term with many more uses then go 17-55.

Here is a shot from the 17-55

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47096888@N06/7560152050/

Last edited:
Tamron 17-50 is also supposed to be a good buy and it is 2.8

Some nice shots there Shaylou many thanks for the advice

Samens I will look into the reviews on the Tamron 17-50 2.8 many thanks.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC, new from Amazon comes in under your budget. Just got myself one and highly recommend.

Edit
Just to add, the Tamron comes with a 5 year Guarantee.

Last edited:
Some good reviews on the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but i think i will need a little more than 50mm

Been pondering on the 24-105 also and can be had for a little over £600 BNIB

n0chex said:
Some nice shots there Shaylou many thanks for the advice

Samens I will look into the reviews on the Tamron 17-50 2.8 many thanks.

Thanks for the complement on my pics. I was just thinking that Canon recently came out with a 40mm prime as well. I'm not sure of the price or how good it is but if its similar than I would go with it over the 50mm. The problem so to speak with the 50 is that its hard to fit everything in. The 40 might be the answer being wider. That is if its in the same price range.

I'm a beginner and finding the 55-250 to be a great lens for me; I'm on my phone so can't link, but if you look on my Flickr you'll see the motorbike shots are all with it and most of the first wildlife shots in India are with it too

I'm a beginner and finding the 55-250 to be a great lens for me; I'm on my phone so can't link, but if you look on my Flickr you'll see the motorbike shots are all with it and most of the first wildlife shots in India are with it too

Yea, nice shots (y)

I have read the 55-250 is very good for the price that you pay and the results are very good nice shots also.

Also been looking into Cotax zeiss lenses as they have had some brilliant reviews and the pictures look 3D.

|I have been told the MM series i should be looking out for especially the mmG versions.

I have found the lens i want Contax Carl Zeiss 35-70 3.4 and no AF but i can live with that.

I bought a Carl Zeiss in the end 28-85 but ended up sending it back as it had forign objects inside and not dust like small black particles.

Back