Zoom lens creep

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hoping to buy a s/h Canon 28-135mm lens. The one I'm looking at has a problem in that the zoom tends to slide or creep towards the 135mm end when the lens is on the camera and pointing downwards. Should that put me off buying if the price is right? Can it be easily fixed?

I didn't know that lenses of this length had a creep problem.
That said - you can pay a nice man at Canon to fettle it for you that will probably help if not fix the problem. However if it is a feature of this lens then it is likely to come back.

You should also check for general wear and tear. If this lens has had a hard life, which might be denoted by the creep, then walk away.

I reckon the lens probably has had a hard life - it's over 2 years old. Probably best to look elsewhere. Thanks for the comments - Greg.

Don't know that particular lens but can't say as it would bother me. My Tamron 28-75 does that normally. It has a small latch to lock it in the 28mm position if you don't want it to slide out under gravity.

Mine and a friends 24-105 F4 L have done this from new so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks again for the responses. No doubt I will have more naive questions as I attempt to get up to speed with this fascinating hobby.

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid instructors. As we say in the Army.

Back