Zoom lens for 6d

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
It's my 30th in April and I'm off to New Zealand and Thailand so as a treat to myself Ive decided to upgrade my 450D and Sigma 18-50 EX DC Macro and 55-250 (rarely used) to a 6D but im not sure what lens to get.

I am definitely getting a 40 f2.8 but Im unsure which normal zoom. I dont want to spend more than £400 on the lens, so I have narrowed the options down to:

Canon 24-105 f4l (as part of a kit)

Or

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (second hand)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tamron. Any advice?

I bought the 24-105 as part of the 6D kit and I'm delighted with it and use it about 75% of the time.
People have mentioned the distortion at the 24mm end, but I find that's easily corrected in software (I use Lightroom but DPP also has lens corrections).
The 24-105 is a great "walk around" lens and is great value as part of the 6D kit.

I had the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (albeit the older Macro version) and recently changed to the Canon 24-105. So fair I absolutely love it - the extra bit of reach is excellent and the ISO performance is such a much step on from my older crop camera (60D) that I don't miss the extra stop.

Stevie

Just swapped a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for a canon 24-105mm and got to say I'm really pleased with the results the 24-105mm renders much more pleasing images and I have a 50mm f1.4 for when the light gets low which I would recommend over the 40mm f2.8

I am reading this with much interest. I have recently sadly had my 450D pinched so using it as an excuse to upgrade, and the 6d keeps floating to the top of the pile!

The world of full frame beckons!

My biggest issue is where to buy from!

Back on topic, I have played with a friends camera, and the 24-105mm lens appears to be a very good lens as an all rounder.

JJ

Thanks for the replies

Just swapped a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for a canon 24-105mm and got to say I'm really pleased with the results the 24-105mm renders much more pleasing images and I have a 50mm f1.4 for when the light gets low which I would recommend over the 40mm f2.8

It is interesting you say you swapped the Tamron for the Canon, what made you swap? Do you feel you miss the f2.8 at all?

The reason for the 40mm over the 50mm is I find the 50mm focal length a bit 'nothing', as it's nether wide or tele and I believe the 40mm is better than the 35mm f2 and I can't afford the 1.4L

Another vote for the Canon - a lot of bang for your buck.

I swapped as I wanted more width and length in a walk around for holiday use. I I was finding the 28mm particularly limiting especially when our s110 compact was 24mm equivalent so I knew exactly what I was missing. The extra length and IS are also bonus my keeper rate is much better with the IS.

I do miss the f2.8 occasionally not as often as I thought! but I have a 35mm f2 a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.8 which I have been using more and more when not on holiday and more than covers my low light needs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies

It is interesting you say you swapped the Tamron for the Canon, what made you swap? Do you feel you miss the f2.8 at all?

The reason for the 40mm over the 50mm is I find the 50mm focal length a bit 'nothing', as it's nether wide or tele and I believe the 40mm is better than the 35mm f2 and I can't afford the 1.4L
I take the 35mm f/2 over the 40mm f/2.8 anyday, even the mk1!

Out of the two lenses you listed in the top post I'd go for the 24-105 f4L any day, unless I was going to be shooting 'lots' of low light stuff. I know you can up the ISO a fair bit with the 6D but you'll always get to the threshold eventually and then the extra stop would be great. It might be worth looking into saving a bit more and going for the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, that would give you the IQ you want and also have the extra stop to play with and still get the vibration reduction of the Canon 24-105. The only thing you would miss out on is the 71-105 reach but a 24-70 is excellent on a full frame body.

I replaced both my 40mm f/2.8 and 24-105L with a Tamron 24-70 VC and have not regretted it one jot. The Tamron more than matches the 40mm at f/2.8, and it soundly beats the 24-105 throughout it's narrower range at all settings. If you can live without the 70-105 range, I highly recommend the Tamron. I got mine from onestop-digital for around £600.

Edit. I use it on a 6D as an almost permanent fixture.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the Tamron 24-70 VC is a bit out of my price range and I think I would get tired carrying it round my neck all day... so I think I've decided to go with the 24-105 F4L and a Canon 50mm f1.4. Although the 40mm f2.8 does appeal simply for its weight so I might pick one up second hand and test it for the holiday, if I don't use it I can pass it on for minimal loss.

You won't go far wrong with the 24-105mm F4.....I've had two copies and both have been excellent. It's a genuinely great lens.

Back