Zoom lens for Canon 1300d

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey folks.
Recently got my 1300d with a is kit lens. But looking for a bit more zoom.
I don’t mind purchasing second hand.
What options do I have.

I have looked at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
And the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Will be used at Knockhill for some motorsport events.
And wildlife/landscape photos.

Cheers.

Why "NSFW"?
Will never go wrong with a 70-200mm f4 L. Light enough in weight to carry all the time. Bit short maybe but the extra quality lets it use an extender with little loss except a stop or two. We dont need IS most of the time we think we do, but if you have the mony......

55-250 STM is a pretty decent lens, compact and inexpensive. Probably best bang for buck.
70-200 f/4L is renowned for being pretty sharp.
The new EF 70-300 II Nano is very good. Recently got one of these for the missus' 80D. Blisteringly fast focusing.
I would not go with the 75-300iii...

The latest incarnation of the 55 - 250 is a great lens. I used to use one of the originals on a 7D before I upgraded to a 5DIII -- my wife then inherited both the camera and lens and got some great results. She now uses the latest version on her 7DII and it hardly ever comes off the camera. It is lightweight, easy to transport and better still it is not expensive to buy.It is not as well built as some of the more expensive lens, eg the "L" series, but, suffice it to say, we have still got our original version of the 55 - 250, just in case we need it - too good to get rid of.

I'm guessing that Andy posted from his phone - I think the app defaults to NSFW on new threads.
All fixed now though.
I did indeed. And it would not let me change it.

The 55-250 is on mbp for £114.
It is tempting to buy it.

I don't know which one you're looking at on MBP, but there are several versions of the 55-250. Missus borrowed a 55-250 IS II from our daughter for our trip to Africa and it was really good.

However, if I were buying one now, I'd get the latest STM version like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-4-5-6-Lens/dp/B00EP71ETU?th=1
That is a pretty good saving on a new one.

This one here.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...Za3DyjcUxXbV4CW7YtaGpbNRe7DzjA8oaAti8EALw_wcB

I have dow sized a lot of my EF and EF-S kit as I use mainly EF-M series lenses. One of the lenses I have kept is the EF-S 55-250 STM. It is a very good lens optically and not too heavy either. The Mk II version is very good but the STM version AF motor is almost silent which means no motor noise on video.

A bargain for what you get.

Lens purchased. And a case.

Andy which lens did you get in the end? I got my son the 1300d for xmas like you he only got the kit lens 18-55mm

One New lens. Very happy.

Thanks for the tips. IMG_20180216_144443.jpgIMG_20180216_145540.jpg

Had a look back to see what I had done with my 55-250 STM, could only get into my Onedrive but this is a crop with the lens on the EOS750D

Nothing special but a grab shot on P at around 220mm bit blown but colour not bad

Have fun with the new lens

Steve

IMG-1203.jpg

Last edited:
That may prove very handy when I go off to Gran Canaria in 10 days.

Cool, enjoy!

Also suggest you pick up one of these to help protect the front and when shooting against the light.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-63-H...F8&qid=1518796096&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+et+63

While I'm at it, should you consider an ultra wide lens, you could do a lot worse than the Canon EF-S 10-18. Cracking little lens.

Absolutely agree, the 10-18 is again a little gem. It also has IS unlike the EF-S 10-22, so useful for handheld in busy street photography.
Another EF-S lens I had kept and used on my EOS M camera. Now used by my partner on her EOS1200D since I got the EF-M 11-22.

The 10-18 is out of budget for now.
Anyway I think I've spent enough on the camera and additional lens and a few accessories for now.
Only thing I think I'll be buying is another battery. And maybe a tripod.

I'm about to propose to my GF. So I'll be saving for a wedding[emoji23]

The 10-18 is out of budget for now.
Anyway I think I've spent enough on the camera and additional lens and a few accessories for now.
Only thing I think I'll be buying is another battery. And maybe a tripod.

I'm about to propose to my GF. So I'll be saving for a wedding[emoji23]
The Duracell E10 battery is very good and a lot cheaper than the original Canon but lasts just as long. I got a couple back in 2015 and no problem.

Duracell Premium Analog Canon LP-E10 Battery for 1100D 1200D Rebel T3 Kiss X50 7.4V 1020mAh https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007VKYZ30/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vrXHAbD8YHHA6

Back