zoom lens for nikon d40

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
:p hello

i am thinking of purchasing a tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 dI LD Macro lens (which has the built in focusing motor), so i can use it with my new nikon d40 slr camera (I've seen it on college cameras model no A17NII) and wondered if any body had used this lens or can recommend another one which is under £150

Jamie

I would try and stick with Nikon lens and make sure you get a AF-S as these will only focus with the D40. Some people might say that the Tamron is a good lens but I would say just stick with Nikon glass.

What sort of focal length you thinking about?

thankyou for your reply

i am wanting a focal lenght (zoom) of 300mm or more. but i find that nikon af-s lenses are too expensive, but i would still want auto focus.

jamie

hi
the tamron lens is £116, but i didn't realy want to spend more than £150 on a lens.

I had the same mindset as you initially, wanting to spend as little on lenses as possible. What I have realised after owning a DLSR for a while now, is that the more you invest in quality lenses, the better.

I have a D40X and I bought the Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro lens. It didn't autofocus, but that wasn't really a great concern for me as I have practiced a lot with manual focus and I think I can probably do it as quickly and possibly more accurately than the lens itself anyway! I used this lens for a while, and enjoyed it, but then upgraded to the 70-300mm Nikon VR lens which I found far superior in quality. It made me realise that had I have saved my money and not spent it on the Sigma lens just because it had the benefit of being cheaper, then I would have been better off.

My understanding is that this lens is very soft after 200mm and needs small apertures to achieve decent results.

Can you not hold off and try to save for a better option?

See if you can try it on your camera and get some test shots or are you not getting from a shop?

having used both nikon and sigma on the D40x i would say look for something your after aslong as it has AF-S in a nikon or HSM in a sigma and the fit is right

what you can do though and i would say is go into jessops or similar and try the lenses your after tog et a feel for tem, then go from there

i had the nikon VR70-300 and it was a fantastic lens for me, but then i spent more and went Sigma 100-300 F4 which is far superior and does just what i need

just depends on budget really but with £150 i think you will struggle to find an auto focus for price i am afraid

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 dI LD Macro lens at 300mm on Nikon D40...

Duckling_800.jpg

Make your own mind up, but I prefer the much cheaper Tamron to my Nikon.

Back