Zoom lens or flashgun?????

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Howdy howdy!

I'm new here, and pretty new to DSLR photography, so I'm looking for some advice:

I recently bought a Canon Eos 450D (Digital Rebel XSi if you're in the US) with the 18-55mm IS lens included. Now, I'm looking to expand my equipment, and have around £200 to spend. There are two items I have my eye on; the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS lens, and the Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashgun.

My question is, seeing as I have only enough money for one or other of these items, which of these two items would any of you buy first, and why??? I like to photograph a wide variety of subjects, from potraits to landscapes, and a lot of urban locations, both indoors and out, during daylight or in artificial/low lighting conditions (I do live in the UK after all!!) and am wondering which would be more useful for me in terms of assisting in developing my skills???

I know this may sound like a bit of a diffcult one to answer, but anyof your opinions would be valued!

Thanks

Nifkin

i would say the lens unless you work in low light alot. It depends on what you shoot!
I went with lenses over flash and i have some fast primes in my kit bag which keeps me relatively happy, i am now looking at a flash.

I am sure you will b able to afford the other item soon enough so its really down to what you need.

As above really, lens then Flash.

If you go for the lens and end up needing to shoot in very low light then there's little you can do about it other than ramping up the ISO which won't give nearly as good shots as using a flashgun. I got caught out with this and even using a 2.8 lens didn't help :(

If you go flash gun instead of the longer lens and end up need to shoot something further away then you can always just move closer to the subject - if possible that is.

I got my Canon Speedlite 430EX II after getting all my lenses and wish I'd got it sooner. Brilliant flashgun and it will compliment your 18-55mm perfectly :)

Well, I'm going toward the door with the "Controversial" sign over it.

Is it this lens you're thinking about reviewed here?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

My penn'orth is that you invest in the flash and and hold off the longer lens for now.

Why? My thoughts are that:
1. You might fall :bonk:(as we can all do) into the "buy now regret later" compromise pitfall and end up by upgrading your longer lens sooner than you might expect.

2. You've got such a broad range of subject interests that - from your description - you might get more use out of your existing lens with the addition of the flash - yes? no?

3. Give it a bit longer, work out from experience what shortcomings actually exist in your equipment and if you do find that you want/need the longer lens (and I'll bet you do:naughty:) why not save up/speak nicely to Santa/take up busking and hold off from buying the longer lens until you can get the best you can afford.

Let us know what you decide to do eh?....

I bought a 55-200 then a flashgun and regretted it, I wish I'd gone for the flashgun first. If it was me shooting what you do, I'd go for the flashgun first.

Flash is what I would go for. I got the 430 EXII last week and it is awesome. Save your money for some better glass, I am now saving pennies for the 70-200mm f4L.

I recently got the 50mm f1.4 and I have switched on to the absoloute importance of buying good glass. Do not, I repeat, do not skimp in this area. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

The flash will keep you going for ages, play with bouce flash off walls and ceilings. When you are learning flash get savin for some good glass.

I have no direct experience, but jessops are doing a flash for £35 for a canon fit.
If you don;t have the experience with flash, get the lens you want, and this for a make do. At least then when you have the cash this can become your backup/second flash, and you can play with it in the meantime. Just a thought, don't take me too seriously.

I'm now leaning towards getting the flashgun, as I'm beginning to think that I'll have enough flexibility with the 18-55mm for experimentation before moving onto another lens, and, let's face it, the built in flash on most SLRs is always lacking! Thanks for the advice though, either way! If you have any more opinions I'd be glad to hear them!

I would recommend getting the 430 EX II. It will be all you need when starting out and the eTTL metering will be a huge asset when learning the ropes. Please trust me on this, don't fall into the trap of buying cheap kit that will just p**s you off and turn you against flash.

I would recommend getting the 430 EX II. It will be all you need when starting out and the eTTL metering will be a huge asset when learning the ropes. Please trust me on this, don't fall into the trap of buying cheap kit that will just p**s you off and turn you against flash.

Said I didn't know much:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back