Zoom upgrade help

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys I've kind of filled my kit out the the point I want, well nikon d3100, 50mm 1.4, sigma 17-70mm, sigma 10-20mm, just ordered my new flash to replace my sb400, and will add a sigma 30mm 1.4 (probably second hand) when i get payed for sum privet work 2mora. And then ill possibly sell/trade in the sb400, kit lens & mayb the 50mm plus my tamron 70-300mm for a better zoom in a month or so-well b4 the British F1 at silverstone.

So what do u guys think, hold out for a 300mm prime or 2.8 zoom upto 300mm?

A good copy of the Sigma will give you the EFL of a 300 on your crop body. You might want something longer for Silverstone.

The f/2.8 will allow you to throw the fence more OOF if you shoot wide open, especially if you're close to the fence. The longer lens will allow you to get greater separation between the fence and racers.

What version of the tamron 70-300 have you got, the latest VC version is supposed to be very good on a budget. Personally 70-200 ain't the way to go especially for Silverstone. Are you only going up on race day and will be in the stands for the whole time, if so, harsh, but fair comment is don't waste your money as the images won't be great, just enjoy the racing. If your going up for the weekend or at least practice / qualifying then you could look at a used sigma 120-400mm f4.5.6 OS, that might just fall into your budget range.

At 1.75kg I would suggest this is very handholdable. If I can handhold the 500mm f4 at nearly 4 Kgs you should have no problems with this lens, plus it has sigmas new OS system

Any other idea for this upgrade at the 400 note range?
In answer to your question, no (other than the one I already recommended)

Even the Nikon 80-400mm VR £600
You could try and find a sigma 80-400mm, tokina 80-400 or tamron 200-400mm but none of these lenses are great performers.

For £400, you have the sigma 120-400mm which is still available at mpb photographic or for considerably more one for sale on the for sale forum, but if you're not interested in that lens, then I would say, save your money and increase the budget.

Last edited:
Back