Zooming in a photo to see distant object

Edit My Images
No
Hello All,

This is my first post here and hopefully an interesting one! My question is about zooming into a digital to photo to see an image in the distance. The reason being we stopped at a beauty spot went for a short walk and had our car broken into when we returned. The police were called but not much to go on, then we realised we had taken some photos looking back and can see a blue car which we think could be the thieves as it sits there for a few minutes at least. The photo is 3.2MB and car is probably 20-30m away and I can zoom with very basic software. We can see its a bright blue car maybe a peugeot 306, we have not told the police yet as we cant until Monday but do you think they could use it even just to get model of car?

I know it wont be like TV andCSI, but probably can do better than I can see.

Thanks for any replies.

I have access to some software that uses S spline max inerpolation (one of the better enlarging algorithm, better than photoshop anyway) but don't expect CSI results, thats pure fake I'm afraid, you just can't take a poor quality video image of a whole car 50 yards away, click a button and read the VIN plate in the door jam.

Can you upload a full size image to say hotfile and let us have a go, somebody may be able to get some detail (just don't expect miracles)

Thank you for reply I can certainly can upload the photo but first I need to check what hotfile is as I am new on here. I will look now and post for help if I have trouble.

Regards

Ok, I have registred with hotfile and uploaded which I think is the best picture. I have a link which I can send so please advise me the best way forward.

Regards

I would really love to see the results of this "investigation"....

Ok, I have registred with hotfile and uploaded which I think is the best picture. I have a link which I can send so please advise me the best way forward.

Regards
Just post the link to the file in a post here...

Crikey... talk about a difficult one....

I wasn't hopefull when I saw the image but we had a go anyway, I doubt this will help much but it's a crop from a 22376 x 14917 pixel blow up.

5700581868_20a7691ae7_b.jpg

Last edited:
My first thought is peugeot 406 coupe. I had one of these for four years; it was my favourite car, I knew it from every angle ;)

My first thought is peugeot 406 coupe. I had one of these for four years; it was my favourite car, I knew it from every angle ;)

Do you think the red object is a light on the car or something else (sign maybe?)

swanseamale47 said:
Do you think the red object is a light on the car or something else (sign maybe?)

If it is 406 coupe, the one on the left is a light. It's darker on the right for 2 possible reasons - the right side is in the shadow or/and the car is in reverse (that's why it's much lighter on the left)

Well what can I say, I have been very impressed by the replies. Even knowing the model of car may help the police as there has been other break ins in the local area. I am sure the police have a good eye for cars too.

The other guy who had a theft told us he arrived at 10-40 and got back at 11-00, the photos are from 10-49-10.50 so pretty sure its the car as our car was parked just to the left!

Thank you all again for your help and I cant thank you enough. I will keep you posted of any development.

Regards

Lets hope it'll help to brung them to justice!!! If they get caught (and I'm sure they will sooner or later) i will be happy to buy their car out of police compound ;) just love these pugs!

I have let the police know about the car, just logged it via the local number and my wife spoke to them too but the PC dealing with us is away today so may well call us back as I have found them to be very helpful so far.

I like the new pic from jon ryan too looks different to the previous one, very good effort!

Back