zoomng in on the moon

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Having taken many still of the moon, sometimes when the sky has been clear at night on a cold winter night, I thought how about a video.
So a couple of days ago I had a go with tghe panasonic HC-X1500 on a manfrotto befreelive tripod wth a wired remote switch on the tripod head handle. Tok about 10 goes until I was happy with the result below No editing as taken only added a music sound track

Last edited:
Well, that's 33 seconds of my time well spent. I enjoyed that :D

Do you know what zoom length that would be at each end?

Well, that's 33 seconds of my time well spent. I enjoyed that :D

Do you know what zoom length that would be at each end?

Sorry wish I could. Generally with camcorders like this one, at least, zoom length- ie mm- doesn't apply. I am not stuck with one lens limited length like a DSLR , this Panasonic HC-X1500 can go up to 600mm equivilant without having to change the lens. Also there is optical and digital zoom and intelligent zoom. No searching for ND filters either it has clear-1/4-1/16 and 1/64 built in.and twin SD slots with many options available

Having done videos for many years the question of zoom length really boils down to how much you want to have in frame and still in focus, not like a DSLR trying to decide on which lens to use. One of the reasons why I am going more into videography is everything is in the unit, no need to lug around umpteen lenses and filters.

to be honest it is a different way of thinking from using a DSLR type camera even with the ability for a DSLR to shoot in video which bring its own camera and lens noise and focus stepping issues

I have come away from consumer type of camcorder after 10 years and now trying to learn more on this pro camcorder with the multi menu options, even if i wanted to live streaming direct from the unit without any other gear or direct to youtube. I can.

so that is the best answerI i can give to your question

this is my first effort after getting used to the new camcorder in the back garden. If possible I prefer to include the sound with the video, not like some who cover sound up with music . in the moon vieo there was no sound so had to add a bit of music. error it is in sussex not kent next error was walking with it better staying still if hand holding

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggE2F_DTO4&t=78s

Last edited:
I just thought it might say on the box or unit. I have a couple of camcorders and one of them has a spectacular zoom but I've never pointed it at the moon.

I just thought it might say on the box or unit. I have a couple of camcorders and one of them has a spectacular zoom but I've never pointed it at the moon.
on the box it only say 25mm wide angle. 24 times -optical zoom. 32 times- digital zoom which has 2/5/10 times more.

Last edited:
Back