Zoos , good or bad ?

Edit My Images
Yes
What are people’s views on zoos ?
I believe they are on the whole a good thing to educate and they do conservation work but they certainly aren’t perfect
this article from the Guardian uses outdated examples that anyone who has visited a modern zoo would know isn’t accurate
It’s definitely not a balanced article, I subscribe to the Guardian but this is the worst article that I have seen from them that I can remember
The author states that animals are better off and happier in the wild , in an ideal world this is true but unfortunately in the modern world zoos are nessersary to educate and do conservation work as a regular visitor to UK zoos like most here i see the conservation work that zoos do
Even locally in the UK they (Chester zoo) have helped by breeding and releasing rare butterflies back into restored habitat
wasn’t sure exactly which section to post this happy if mods want to move this to another section

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...uct-fictions-about-animals?CMP=share_btn_link

It's not a great piece of writing and I'm afraid Lumley is never far from attention-seeking for personal satisfaction in my view (campaign for Gurkha pensions apart).
I have very mixed views on the subject - I would far rather see animals in their natural habitat and be the one in an observers cage myself, but on the other hand nature can be terribly cruel especially to endangered species. The latter need support, but preferably in a suitable environment that is as close as we can get to their normal. Some zoos and wildlife parks do fairly well at this, but there are a lot of commercial zoos that are terrible from what I've seen reported over the years, and even some public ones in less sympathetic countries like China. There is no comfortable answer.

It's not a great piece of writing and I'm afraid Lumley is never far from attention-seeking for personal satisfaction in my view (campaign for Gurkha pensions apart).
I have very mixed views on the subject - I would far rather see animals in their natural habitat and be the one in an observers cage myself, but on the other hand nature can be terribly cruel especially to endangered species. The latter need support, but preferably in a suitable environment that is as close as we can get to their normal. Some zoos and wildlife parks do fairly well at this, but there are a lot of commercial zoos that are terrible from what I've seen reported over the years, and even some public ones in less sympathetic countries like China. There is no comfortable answer.

yes I know what you mean its difficult to watch a big cat or bear for example pacing up and down in an enclosure but do believe that zoos nowadays do as well as they are able to enrich the lives of their animals
also I believe that if we have any chance of saving and preserving wildlife we have to get the general public on board and zoos are a good way of educating people, certainly myself I learn something every time I have a chat with zoo keepers

When I saw this story I was and still am unsure about it? Looked at positively I can see his apparent motive but with apex predators can it really matter the size of the enclosure especially bearing in mind that she will be alone (for the rest of her life?)

Where zoos are involved in conservation, then yes I am in favour.. if only to provide entertainment then clearly a no...when I see larger animals showing repetetive behaviour then I get upset by that
Agreed!
The ultimate welfare of the wild populations must be paramount and the primary purpose of captive population breeding programs.

Last edited:
Not in favour.
The animals are out of their natural environment and therefore suffering. The zoos then give a bit of "natural" environment back and say how they have enriched the animals lives.

i went to Chester zoo a couple of weeks ago with my grandson, to be honest i felt a little despondent when i came out, the bigger animals all looked bored, and i felt so sorry for them , the only creatures that looked to be enjoying themselves were the penguins and the fish.
the other side of this though i know is that there would be a lot more dead and extinct creatures, cant have it both ways , there is no easy answer

Thanks everyone for your input, interesting, I do get the point of view about animals not happy because of they are not in their natural environment but do believe that the conservation and education that good zoos carry out mitigates this at least to some extent
I have seen bears pacing up and down even in quite large enclosures and that is sad to see, I have also seen big cats do this also but in this instance I believe that’s the cat looking for the keeper as it associates the keeper with food so isn’t boredom as such Chester zoo like most zoos hide the food in different locations to try to enrich the cat’s life as best they can

i went to Chester zoo a couple of weeks ago with my grandson, to be honest i felt a little despondent when i came out, the bigger animals all looked bored, and i felt so sorry for them , the only creatures that looked to be enjoying themselves were the penguins and the fish.
the other side of this though i know is that there would be a lot more dead and extinct creatures, cant have it both ways , there is no easy answer
I really don't like zoo's, went to Chester Zoo a few years ago with the other half, and like you found most of the larger animals especially the elephants were just standing there looking so bored and depressed, I'll never go to another zoo ever.

Chester zoo is allegedly one of the better ones bar the entry fee .. they do vary though ,had a good day at the Lakeland zoo a few years back they seem to have more space there ..
and one of the nicest ones I have visited is Wrocław zoo in Poland allegedly one of the worlds oldest

Chester zoo is allegedly one of the better ones bar the entry fee .. they do vary though ,had a good day at the Lakeland zoo a few years back they seem to have more space there ..
and one of the nicest ones I have visited is Wrocław zoo in Poland allegedly one of the worlds oldest

yes agree unfortunately Chester zoo is expensive to visit, we are members , pay annually, as we are local and it gets me out of the house in winter
not been to Poland that zoo does sound good

If the animals are born into it then theres not much difference between them and owning a pet.... fish in a fish tank are surely the worse off... birds in cages maybe even worse. house cats, dogs. whats the difference., I would say Zoo OK :)

Is safari park better ? not much but...

Back