Zuiko Lens difference, can someone explain please

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have two similar lenses in my gear - due to my wife purchasing the E-400 twin lens kit for my birthday, and then my purchasing the E-510 twin lens kit recently...!!

However, even though the focal length of the lenses is the same, the one that came with the E-510 is markedly smaller, and has different specs - and I don't fully understand the difference. Please can someone here explain the difference to me..?

E-400 kit lens spec:
Olympus Digital 40-150mm, 1:3.5-4.5
1.5m/4.9ft - infinity

E-510 kit lens spec:
Olympus Digital 40-150mm, 1:4-5.6 ED (???? what's the ED?)
0.9m/2.96ft - infinity

Also, the E-400 lens is notably larger than the E-510 lens. I'd say at least 2" longer when set at 40mm, and 1" longer when fully extended at 150mm.

I am assuming that the ED with the E-510 is the better lens yeah? That correct?

From warehouseExpress:

Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
The ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm (35mm equivalent focal length: 80-300mm) is a compact, lightweight and reasonably priced telephoto lens. Its powerful 3.8 zoom makes it the ideal supplement to the 14-45mm lens.

Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm F4-5.6 II
Boasting the smallest size and lightest weight in its class, this cost-efficient 3.8x telephoto lens uses an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations. Incorporating a circular aperture diaphragm for beautiful defocusing, this lens assures high picture quality throughout the zoom range, as well as providing an astonishingly short closest focusing distance of 90cm throughout the zoom range.

As to the quality the first F3.5-4.5 is the faster (lower Fno), but the 2nd tho slower (as the blerb ses) should have less fringing and aberations. Both are the same price so you can get a faster lens with slightly more aberrations or a slower lens with higher QOR.

Thanks Paul... so I have the best of both worlds then :) cool!

so I have the best of both worlds then

You do. :D

but sadly never in the same shot. ;)

Some back to back tests could be in order here, as you're likely to prefer the look of one over the other.

You do. :D

but sadly never in the same shot. ;)

Some back to back tests could be in order here, as you're likely to prefer the look of one over the other.
Ooooh.... great idea :)

If I have time, I will set up some tests over the weekend.

Back