Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Aiai, another gun :( (well, which is not so surprising seeing the theme ;) ).
Really have a strong dislike for guns, but that aside, this is one great picture. Even on my crappy monitor the contrast between the black shirt and the background is pinsharp.

I love the overall mood of the picture too, could be a poster for a Tarantino movie as well!

The look on the mans face is great as well!

That's a very moody shot, and it works very well indeed.

That is really my type of shot Chris.
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT :clap: :clap: :clap:
(And coming from somebody who doesn't like "people shots" that's high praise indeed!!!)

I do like dark and moody and you've pulled it off perfectly in this one - you've got the darkness there but still managed to keep the distinction between yourself and the black b/g. It's very nicely presented too with the border and limited colour palette it's really got that film poster feel to it.

:LOL: Have I mentioned that I like this yet?

If you say 'WHAT' one more time!

(y)
"I dare you, I double-dare you!"

pure quality...

Much like this image, great idea & brilliantly executed! Although having not seen Godfather II it makes me think of Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

I love everything about this image(y)

Aiai, another gun :( (well, which is not so surprising seeing the theme ;) ).
Really have a strong dislike for guns, but that aside, this is one great picture. Even on my crappy monitor the contrast between the black shirt and the background is pinsharp.

I love the overall mood of the picture too, could be a poster for a Tarantino movie as well!

The look on the mans face is great as well!
That man is me:), thanks for the comment, and for the record its a kiddies gun that i painted as blue just didn't cut it in the underworld:LOL:

Shoot is nice, the feel of the pic is right for a ganster sorta feel. I like it.

That's a very moody shot, and it works very well indeed.
Cheers guys

That is really my type of shot Chris.
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT :clap: :clap: :clap:
(And coming from somebody who doesn't like "people shots" that's high praise indeed!!!)

I do like dark and moody and you've pulled it off perfectly in this one - you've got the darkness there but still managed to keep the distinction between yourself and the black b/g. It's very nicely presented too with the border and limited colour palette it's really got that film poster feel to it.

:LOL: Have I mentioned that I like this yet?
Thanks Sarah, the separation comes from the rim light behind me. I was pretty pleased the way this turned out, it was great fun and i have a few other shots that made me laugh when i looked after. The efforts to get a scary "im going to shoot you face" :LOL: on some of them i look in pain or constipated.

"I dare you, I double-dare you!"

pure quality...

Much like this image, great idea & brilliantly executed! Although having not seen Godfather II it makes me think of Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

I love everything about this image(y)

Thanksh Dave, yeshhh your right it doesh have a touch of the Connery:LOL:

Looks good to me. Should you go in for the hitman business have a few clients for you!!! :LOL:

Really liking that, found someone else that can get their hands on a gun...

The lighting is really nice and gives the shot a dark feel.

Spot on

The lighting for shoot is perfect and very moody. Brilliant shot
thanks mate
Looks good to me. Should you go in for the hitman business have a few clients for you!!! :LOL:

ok send me a list and i'll go and pop a cap in their ass:cool:

Really liking that, found someone else that can get their hands on a gun...

The lighting is really nice and gives the shot a dark feel.

Spot on

thanks mate, it was easy to get a gun, just give the lady in the toy shop £3.99 and she gives you a deadly weapon:LOL:

Quad: I really like this. It has a lot of impact and is a strong image. After a minute or so looking at it I wondered about their height, then dismissed it, then wondered what it would look like with a thread going through each eye "stringing" them together, then thought it would detract from the shot.

Shoot: Amazing. Glad you had fun getting dressed up, and I'm with you on the difficulties of self-portraits. Nice moody lighting works well.

It's all good stuff,

Ian.

Week 15 Single

Another fun session, this time it took me up a large hill with a backpack full of gear, a light stand and two tripods and a dining room chair.:D To be honest i didnt care less what anyone would think about me stomping up the hill with the chair over my shoulder but i guess it looked pretty silly. I was doing pretty well messing around with the lighting and was enjoying being out in the open with Luca(pooch) and the sheep until a couple of lads came up and joined me, i dont mind having a chat but i really did want them to clear off and leave me to get on. They stayed the entire time i was up there which was rather annoying!:annoyed: Anyway, I was hoping this picture would turn out ok because i didn't have a back up plan. I took two i liked but i think this one is my favourite. I'll post the second place image too to see what you think.

Alone, not lonely
4526273857_8ee52fa82c_o.jpg

4526273957_b575a4a852.jpg

Last edited:
I like your first image Chris for its more natural looking lighting. I am finding the lighting on your second image a bit too harsh on the chair back.
Good take on the theme. Iain

I like your first image Chris for its more natural looking lighting. I am finding the lighting on your second image a bit too harsh on the chair back.
Good take on the theme. Iain

Thanks Iain, yeh the back of the chair was a bit of a shame, to be honest it was a lot worse and i had to do a bit of pp to sort it out, i didnt think i could push it any further.

I fractionally like the first image over the second image, both are very good. Well done.

Allan
Thanks Allan:)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow!!!! I love both of these . . . even if I do think that you're a mad man for hauling a dining chair halfway up a mountain.
100% got my vote for the most inspired interpretation of single of the week.

Hard to pick a favourite, but I think I'd go for the second.
While the first seems to be a bit more about the landscape, the second has a far more intimate focus on you - both through the tighter crop and the lighting on you and the chair.

Not a thing I'd change in either of them though.
Absolutely brilliant (y)

I thought about doing something like that... but didn't :LOL:

I like them, I like the landscape shots, and I like the way you've used the flash on the second one to pull out the chair and yourself.

Excellent techniques (y)

Now that's an unusual idea (y) I prefer the first but would have put you even more to the right. If I was being really picky I would have wanted the chair to be level but that's really really picky :D

Now that's an unusual idea (y) I prefer the first but would have put you even more to the right. If I was being really picky I would have wanted the chair to be level but that's really really picky :D

:LOL: the chair was at the mercy of the grass i'm afraid. Im not sure about it being further to the right, i put myself there in the image as it was roughly a third in, the image is about me really so i wanted the viewers eye to go there first, i hope it worked.

I like the second shot best although I think the first says single a bit more.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow!!!! I love both of these . . . even if I do think that you're a mad man for hauling a dining chair halfway up a mountain.
100% got my vote for the most inspired interpretation of single of the week.

Hard to pick a favourite, but I think I'd go for the second.
While the first seems to be a bit more about the landscape, the second has a far more intimate focus on you - both through the tighter crop and the lighting on you and the chair.

Not a thing I'd change in either of them though.
Absolutely brilliant (y)

Thanks Sarah, it was only after that i thought maybe i should have dragged a table up there too or a TV:LOL:

It seems the vote is fairly even for the two images
I thought about doing something like that... but didn't :LOL:

I like them, I like the landscape shots, and I like the way you've used the flash on the second one to pull out the chair and yourself.

Excellent techniques (y)
Thanks mate, it took a few takes to get the right lighting although i could have done better if the two spectators had left me alone:bonk:

Well it's different I'll give you that for starters.

The second is not really to my taste, but your first shot is great, the border really suits too.

well firstly 10/10 for commitment, to climb up a hill with all that gear and then take photos of yourself. I bet the other guys wee thinking.....:wacky: :LOL::LOL:

I love the 2nd one, (because it has a sunset in it though can see what people are saying about the back of the chair but that doesn't really bother me........

No 1 takes it though! Cracking pic. Is is Ladybower /Derwentwater in the mid distance?

well firstly 10/10 for commitment, to climb up a hill with all that gear and then take photos of yourself. I bet the other guys wee thinking.....:wacky: :LOL::LOL:

I love the 2nd one, (because it has a sunset in it though can see what people are saying about the back of the chair but that doesn't really bother me........

No 1 takes it though! Cracking pic. Is is Ladybower /Derwentwater in the mid distance?

Thanks Lynton, i think once i explained what i was doing they understood :LOL:

Its actually Redmires Reservoirs just west of Sheffield about 5 minutes from the centre. In fact between 5 and 20 minutes from Sheffield there are about 12 different reservoirs to choose from.

that close to the centre? Wow! Used to work for NU / Aviva, and spent many a good night in what was the McDonald St Pauls.

Some lovely parts of the countryside close to you, and got some good pics of the reservoirs down towards the Sheffield end of Snake Pass. (Think I still hold the world land speed record for speed obtained through snake pass in a Europcar Mondeo!!)

that close to the centre? Wow! Used to work for NU / Aviva, and spent many a good night in what was the McDonald St Pauls.

Some lovely parts of the countryside close to you, and got some good pics of the reservoirs down towards the Sheffield end of Snake Pass. (Think I still hold the world land speed record for speed obtained through snake pass in a Europcar Mondeo!!)

:LOL: yeh 5-10 minutes on a Sunday when there's no traffic, 45minutes midweek

theres dedication for ya! :)

two fabulous shots.. am drawn more towards the second for the fabulous sunset and that as mentioned it does seem that more of the focus is on you giving more of a feeling of isolation.. very original take on the theme!

Another fun session, this time it took me up a large hill with a backpack full of gear, a light stand and two tripods and a dining room chair.

And it's paid off. 10/10 for determination and thinking in terms of hitting the theme and getting out with your camera.

#1 shot is the one for me. I do like the second but it's a bit dark and the light on the back of the chair looks odd. It's not a massive problem, but it's just not as good as shot #1. I like the panorama, the view, and the composition.

Nice work this week Chris.

Ian.

Hi Chris, I can't believe I've never commented on your thread. I've popped in often, but this far into the 52 it seems a bit irrelevant to give you feedback on each week - especially when you've had such good feedback from so many people. I absolutely love the way you use words and make a photograph of them - Pea Pull (People) and Prod-juice (Produce) spring to mind as being particularly clever. (y)

So on the Single:

I admire your dedication - carrying all your kit and a chair. (I hope your knee didn't suffer!) The result was well worth it. I love the composition, lighting and mood of the first one. But I think the second one just edges ahead for me, because the incongruity of having a dining room chair in such a remote-looking location is much more obvious. It's quirky, beautifully processed and an excellent take on the theme. :clap:

I'll try and keep up from now on. :)

Jean

Both are excellent, and spot on for the theme... I think the lighting in the second reflecting on the chair knocks it off the top though.

I like the first as an attractive landscape shot, but I prefer the second. Dramatic lighting and composition, and lots of mystery -- who is that man, why is he there...? (y)

Hi Chris, I can't believe I've never commented on your thread. I've popped in often, but this far into the 52 it seems a bit irrelevant to give you feedback on each week - especially when you've had such good feedback from so many people. I absolutely love the way you use words and make a photograph of them - Pea Pull (People) and Prod-juice (Produce) spring to mind as being particularly clever. (y)

So on the Single:

I admire your dedication - carrying all your kit and a chair. (I hope your knee didn't suffer!) The result was well worth it. I love the composition, lighting and mood of the first one. But I think the second one just edges ahead for me, because the incongruity of having a dining room chair in such a remote-looking location is much more obvious. It's quirky, beautifully processed and an excellent take on the theme. :clap:

I'll try and keep up from now on. :)

Jean

thanks very much Jean for the kind words, it's support like we get from our peers on this forum that makes us continue to test ourselves further.

Both are excellent, and spot on for the theme... I think the lighting in the second reflecting on the chair knocks it off the top though.

Thanks John

I like the first as an attractive landscape shot, but I prefer the second. Dramatic lighting and composition, and lots of mystery -- who is that man, why is he there...? (y)

i quite often think who am i? why am i here?:LOL:

theres dedication for ya! :)

two fabulous shots.. am drawn more towards the second for the fabulous sunset and that as mentioned it does seem that more of the focus is on you giving more of a feeling of isolation.. very original take on the theme!

sweet shot - first gets my vote, alone, surveying all that lies before you.

the image of you lugging the chair and your gear would be a great one too :)

And it's paid off. 10/10 for determination and thinking in terms of hitting the theme and getting out with your camera.

#1 shot is the one for me. I do like the second but it's a bit dark and the light on the back of the chair looks odd. It's not a massive problem, but it's just not as good as shot #1. I like the panorama, the view, and the composition.

Nice work this week Chris.

Ian.

thanks guys and girls, as i said above its the support praise and criticism around this forum, and especially from the other 52'ers that keep me thinking about how to improve myself and develop my ideas.:)

Loving your 1st shot for 'single' - beautiful scenery and lighting captured really well. Once again, (I think I may have said this on another thread), I am a sucker for images that tell a story and I think your 1st image could tell several stories. It's very peaceful and the kind of image I'd love to have as my desktop background on my work laptop so I could just close all the b****y spreadsheets and email for a minute and two and just look at that image and almost imagine myself sitting on that chair and gather my thoughts!!!

2nd image - the harsh flash light falling on the back of the chair unfortunately draws my eyes away from the rest of the image, so not one for me.

Good shots Chris. I prefer the second- just seems a little more interesting to me somehow.

Chris the first "Single" shot is for me, has a bit more of an open feel and fitting the single theme well.

I like number two which has a Urbex feeling to it but for the theme No.1 is my choice.

Back