weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn , hope you're all better now:hug:

Sounds like you had a good day in London for a worthwhile cause & managed to cover about every theme possible:LOL:

Love the framing & color processing for your postcard type shot , the London eye & the buses stand out to me as hitting the theme spot on(y)

Great work as usual :clap:

(my 1st thought of a shot for theme was your second submission ( no stopping you even when poorly :) ) but alas we aren't allowed to run cars to empty:bang: )

Hi Dawn , hope you're all better now:hug:

Sounds like you had a good day in London for a worthwhile cause & managed to cover about every theme possible:LOL:

Love the framing & color processing for your postcard type shot , the London eye & the buses stand out to me as hitting the theme spot on(y)

Great work as usual :clap:

(my 1st thought of a shot for theme was your second submission ( no stopping you even when poorly :) ) but alas we aren't allowed to run cars to empty:bang: )

Hiya Lynne,

Getting better thanks, at least I can see again after the streaming eyes have dried up and my nose not running away anymore.

Had a fabby time in London, think I got this darn bug from there, I've called it the 'protest bug' :LOL:

Thanks for the compliment about the pic (y)

The second image was a fluke, I don't normally run my car to empty, but heyho was too ill to nip to the fuel station so it was good timing.

BTW I'm enjoying the lightbox ;)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,

Some great ideas for moderation, is this why you have been feeling off colour :LOL:

I like the empty shot, it's just a shame it will cost £70+ to put right:naughty:
I'm still searching for my shot for this weeks theme :thinking:

Mick

Hiya Mick,

Thanks for the comments, :LOL: wish I could say that is why I was feeling off colour .... but no :p Actually I am partaking in a glass of the latter now that I am feeling a bit better and waiting for the announcement of the next theme :D

Don't remind me about the cost to fix the last shot ...... I cringe every time I head to the station ..... the downfall of driving a 2lt turbo :bonk: .... a defo gas guzzler.

I hope you soon find your shot for this week .... the clock is ticking :LOL: (hey there's a plan .... do you have an egg timer?)

Cheers

The only egg timer I see is in the Sauna at the gym, might be a bit dodgy taking my camera in there :LOL:

Mick

:thinking: you have a point there ...... not to mention your lens would fog up :LOL:

So I guess it is back to the drawing board for you .....

Now I can't wait to see what you come up with :D

Cheers

How do you do it Dawn - you leave everyone a detailed comment on their 52 and still have time for multiple pictures in your own :clap:

Some great shots in your recent weeks and excellent takes on each theme.

If it helps, mine is £80+ now from empty, and that's every two weeks :puke:
Just imagine how much camera kit that could buy!

Hi Dawn, glad your beginning to recover. i enjoyed your London Empty images and am amazed on such a trip you managed ANY empty shots, I like the processing (y)

Your 2nd shot is also apposite :D I rarely run a car to that level of empty (too many years driving ancient old wrecks to risk the gunge at the bottom of the tank) But I certainly feel the pain ;)

How do you do it Dawn - you leave everyone a detailed comment on their 52 and still have time for multiple pictures in your own :clap:

Some great shots in your recent weeks and excellent takes on each theme.

If it helps, mine is £80+ now from empty, and that's every two weeks :puke:
Just imagine how much camera kit that could buy!

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the kind words and comments. I'm not sure how I do it .... all I can say is that I am very dedicated to this project and want to support all those in the Photo52 as it is such a learning experience for me as much as it is for others.

I think that this week things have taken their toll on me and I was suffering a bit with the dreaded lurgi (which my son now has, so I'm also playing nurse-maid after having just recovered :help:). But thankfully after much rest I am getting back to my form.

Actually, coming to think of it, I haven't filled my car tank to the top in ages (costs too much) so with the rising cost of fuel it may even be more than I anticipate. So for now I will stick to just filling as much as I need to see me through the week (reverse psychology I think :LOL:)

Hi Dawn, glad your beginning to recover. i enjoyed your London Empty images and am amazed on such a trip you managed ANY empty shots, I like the processing (y)

Your 2nd shot is also apposite :D I rarely run a car to that level of empty (too many years driving ancient old wrecks to risk the gunge at the bottom of the tank) But I certainly feel the pain ;)

Hiya Tina,

Thanks, starting to feel much better. Glad you enjoyed the London images. When I left early that morning I set off with the intention to try to cover every possible theme .... so on the coach trip home I signed on via mobile to see what the theme was and spent the rest of the journey (whilst all other passengers were snoring their heads off :LOL:) looking for the images to fit the theme. I like to think of it as being pro-active and making the best use of available time :D

As I've commented to a previous post, I don't normally run my car this low on fuel, but this week has been the exception, and just happened to coincide with the theme so I had to seize the opportunity :p Tomorrow I have to stop past the fuel station, but fortunately it is only about a mile away so I should hopefully make it there, otherwise it will be 'thumbs and a can' for me :D

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated and very encouraging. Now I hope by the time I have completed this post the new theme will be out .... I am waiting in anticipation.

Cheers

The bus photo is my fav from you for this week....like the composition.
You did a good job on the processing too so that they all felt the same.

Hiya Jeff,

Thanks for the comments, have to say I like the bus photo too (and the black telephone boxes) from this set.

I have so many photos from the day .... which I will post in a thread soon when I get some time to sort it. I've been through the London sightseeing pics and am quite pleased with how they have come out.

Glad you like the processing too, that is what I was trying to achieve with them, to keep some kind of consistency.

Cheers

Hiya all,

Wow these weeks are just flying past, it only seems like yesterday I was uploading week 13.

After a very 'not so well' week, I am finally getting back to full strength and it is back to work for me tomorrow and probably quite a hectic 2 weeks of work. So before I get all wrapped up in that I thought it best to get this week's theme done and dusted.

This idea came to me this morning as soon as I saw the theme announcement. And actually the idea is all thanks to Marts and his week 13 entry of the snail shells. Anyhow, after my comments on his post last night, and the idea of the missing snail, later I went outside and to my surprise saw a slug chomping away on the daffodils in the garden. So I grabbed the camera, took a pic (in the dark I know I must be :wacky: .... well I think my neighbours are now convinced I am :LOL:) then I uploaded and PM'd the pic over to Martin to let him know that I may have found the escapee at which point Sylvester the Snug was born.

So after all that, and seeing the theme for this week .... I couldn't resist continuing the idea to create a short photo story, which I hope you enjoy :D Apologies that the main character is not an 'Object of Desire' and would certainly not make it to pin-up material :LOL:, but heyho ..... or should that be HO-HUM where the story begins ......

Without further adieu I present to you ......

Sylvester the Snug:

5586387436_57f188645f_b.jpg
[/url]Story of Sylvester the Snug by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

No creatures were harmed in any way in the making of this story, and Sylvester didn't seem to object to the shell being placed on his back and was quite the 'model' :puke:

Credit to Marts for planting the idea, thanks.

My son thoroughly enjoyed me reading the story to him and now has a keen fascination with slugs and will most probably be telling everyone at school tomorrow about Sylvester the Snug :LOL:

I will not bear any objections to people leaving comments or critique, so please feel free to do so (all will be much appreciated).

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope you have enjoyed week 14 as much as I have enjoyed composing it.

Also thank you for the continued support and encouragement each week, I am learning so much by doing this project.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Dawn, you have had me intrigued ever since I saw your earlier comment about sending a picture for id purposes! I love your idea, a big well done for thinking of it and immortalising Sylvester The Snug! Certainly has put a smile on my face, :) You could even write a book about him......
Excellent, and good to hear you are feeling better. (y)

I'm not sure what to say.
I've just left SamualSlade007's thread and his Monopoly board to arrive here with a slug wearing a snail shell and toggers snapping things in the garden at night.
We're a strange bunch us toggers.

Nice idea though and some good detail on the pictures.

Hiya Neil,

:LOL: Indeed we are a strange bunch of toggers. Coming to think of it, perhaps participating in a Photo52, or any challenge for that matter, should come with a health warning (MH warning for that matter) :LOL: Notice your TP username is quite appropriate :p

I know the Monopoly board post you refer to .... it is brill!

Thanks for your comments on the idea and glad you can see some of the detail in the photos. I was a bit concerned that the detail would be lost due to the resizing.

Cheers (y)

Hi Dawn, you have had me intrigued ever since I saw your earlier comment about sending a picture for id purposes! I love your idea, a big well done for thinking of it and immortalising Sylvester The Snug! Certainly has put a smile on my face, :) You could even write a book about him......
Excellent, and good to hear you are feeling better. (y)

Hiya Michael,

I thought the comment I left earlier on Marts post might raise some eyebrows :LOL:

Glad you like the idea and thanks for the compliments. Who knows I may just develop this into a story. Actually about 6 months ago I gave a similar idea to a friend of mine, who is very good at writing novels, and she put together a lovely little children's story from my ideas and photos I had taken of insects in the wild. We never got to publishing the book, but perhaps one of those projects that we need to revisit at some point.

Happy that the story put a smile on your dial, and you may not have heard the last of Sylvester the Snug yet :D

Thanks too for the well wishes, I'm feeling much better and back to my good old self again :help: :LOL:

Cheers

Dawn, you have done it again; a real surprise and yes, it works ;) Now you will have a theme for a whole series of stories...maybe you will publish them? Sylvester the Snug will become famous as the only snug in the land :LOL:

Hiya Tina,

Thanks for the compliments and comments.

I'm quite happy with the result for this week and it has definitely got my mind working overtime again and already I am thinking up all kinds of ideas for other stories. Maybe one day I will be an accomplished photographer and story writer. Hey that would be a bonus because I would be able to do all he creative work myself, that would be such a joy :D

What I liked most about doing this was taking a creature like a slug, not very well liked by most for all sorts of reasons, but making it into a little character of its own. I think this is one area that photography is bringing out in me, to see things in different light.

I do hope that Sylvester goes on to be famous :LOL:

Cheers

Hi Dawn, great idea & I really like the "story board effect", I think you may have one of the most original takes on the theme:LOL:

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the compliments and glad you like the story board effect.

I always try to be creative and original with my interpretations of the themes; part of my own learning and development of photography.

Cheers

Haha that's brilliant! A children's story in the making if ever I saw one. Great collection of photos

Hiya Liam,

Thanks for the kind words and the compliments.

I may just start a series of these because I had so much fun putting this together :D

Cheers

Sorry Dawn I'm goint to sound really negative on this. :(
The story board idea is very good and the subject matter is great and would make an excellent character for a kids book. However I think that the idea has suppressed the photography. If i look at each individual image I don't think any of them look are as good as some of your individual images from the project or indeed as much as your four images from last week. Possibly what has made me feel this way is having looked at your images in your 365 i feel by far your strongest subject is flowers. Obviously this flower was a bit different because of the slug this week :puke:
Having read what others have said so far I am obviously in the minority with my view but it is what it is.
As a complete project this week I think it is very good and your creativity is great. My comments are purely on the strength of the images to stand alone and while they tell your story I don't think they are your best work.

Haven't enjoyed typing this because it sounds so negative. Hopefully you can see my comments for what they are. Which is complimentary to your creativity and previous images and what I hope to be a gentle nudge back to technically better photographs.

Sorry Dawn I'm goint to sound really negative on this. :(
The story board idea is very good and the subject matter is great and would make an excellent character for a kids book. However I think that the idea has suppressed the photography. If i look at each individual image I don't think any of them look are as good as some of your individual images from the project or indeed as much as your four images from last week. Possibly what has made me feel this way is having looked at your images in your 365 i feel by far your strongest subject is flowers. Obviously this flower was a bit different because of the slug this week :puke:
Having read what others have said so far I am obviously in the minority with my view but it is what it is.
As a complete project this week I think it is very good and your creativity is great. My comments are purely on the strength of the images to stand alone and while they tell your story I don't think they are your best work.

Haven't enjoyed typing this because it sounds so negative. Hopefully you can see my comments for what they are. Which is complimentary to your creativity and previous images and what I hope to be a gentle nudge back to technically better photographs.

Hiya Colin,

No need to apologise, all comments are taken well especially when constructive. So thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

I see your point about the idea suppressing the photography. I was going to point out in the post that I felt that by resizing the photos had an impact on the quality of same (and the larger photos of each are actually better than portrayed in this storyboard), but due to size limitations could not display them as taken.

However, thank you for your comments about my other photos, both here in the project and in my 365. I do enjoy taking photos of flowers, as well as many other subjects. I just wanted to do something a bit 'different' this week by taking an object that is probably not the top of most people's lists (I mean how many folk would like taking a photo of a slug? :puke:)

I like to think that there is always room for improvement, after all that is the reason I am doing this project (amongst all the others I am doing too).

Thanks for the nudge ..... I will try to do better next week ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Good stuff Dawn (y) Appreciate what you say about having to use the small sizes. The shot which stands out as best to me is the slug with the shell on. Meant to mention that earlier.

Hi Dawn. Just catching up on your last couple of shots. I definitely owe you that because you've been so good at reviewing mine! I had exactly the same idea for empty (as you know I went with the dog instead) but I couldn't get the tank down and the fuel light to come on without risking getting stranded! The timing just didn't work. So, needless to say, I like your shot and idea!

Re your latest shot with the storyboard, I do really like it but I just want everything bigger! I bet there is some fabulous detail in the shells that I can't quite see. Obviously that would have made a one page storyboard difficult! Anyway, I like it, especially the colour of the flowers.

Cheers
Jonathan

Hi Dawn. Just catching up on your last couple of shots. I definitely owe you that because you've been so good at reviewing mine! I had exactly the same idea for empty (as you know I went with the dog instead) but I couldn't get the tank down and the fuel light to come on without risking getting stranded! The timing just didn't work. So, needless to say, I like your shot and idea!

Re your latest shot with the storyboard, I do really like it but I just want everything bigger! I bet there is some fabulous detail in the shells that I can't quite see. Obviously that would have made a one page storyboard difficult! Anyway, I like it, especially the colour of the flowers.

Cheers
Jonathan

Hiya Jonathan,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. The fuel tank is now, refueled, but only just above half .... that cost me enough :LOL:

As for the latest shot, I am almost tempted to post all the photos as individual images so folk can see them in more detail. I just wasn't sure that peeps would want to see an almost live size image of a slug on their screen :LOL:

The space that we have to work with is very limiting, so I have tried to make the best of what I can use.

Cheers

He he fab story board dawn love it, Ha ha a slug in snails clothing,

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for stopping past and the fab comment.

Cheers

Sorry Dawn for the half hearted comment as in PM will make better tomoz

Thanks Dave, just popping past means a lot. You need to rest now and take care. Hope you regain your strength soon.

Take it easy my friend.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,
Well i love the storyboard theme this week but agree it is such a shame that the images are so small. I too like the slug with the snail shell. Your main daff picture looks good also.
Regards
Ceri

Hi Dawn,
Well i love the storyboard theme this week but agree it is such a shame that the images are so small. I too like the slug with the snail shell. Your main daff picture looks good also.
Regards
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thank you for the compliments. Indeed it is a shame I had to reduce the size of the photos in order to upload it here.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

taken me a while to comment as was interested to see others thoughts.
Much like Colin I like the story board you've put together ( you need to register him quick as your idea before some writer steals him away !) but feel the images don't do you justice . The 3 individual shells & slug look great as does the the main flower but it feels flat to me after all I've seen of your work in previous months & in your 365 . I'm not sure what I expected to see from you but it wasn't quite this ? Maybe I thought you'd post something from your London trip...all those people Objecting to cuts etc ?

You've got the color of the Daff just beautiful & the slug with shell on is just great , the textures & color are spot on (y)

Sorry to sound negative , at least you've posted whilst I'm still :thinking:

Hi Dawn

taken me a while to comment as was interested to see others thoughts.
Much like Colin I like the story board you've put together ( you need to register him quick as your idea before some writer steals him away !) but feel the images don't do you justice . The 3 individual shells & slug look great as does the the main flower but it feels flat to me after all I've seen of your work in previous months & in your 365 . I'm not sure what I expected to see from you but it wasn't quite this ? Maybe I thought you'd post something from your London trip...all those people Objecting to cuts etc ?

You've got the color of the Daff just beautiful & the slug with shell on is just great , the textures & color are spot on (y)

Sorry to sound negative , at least you've posted whilst I'm still :thinking:

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks for taking the time to give detailed feedback, which is much appreciated.

Ahha, so I'm not that predictable then, which is a good thing ;) I did think of using one of the photos from the London march, but as I had already posted a thread with those images I decided to do something different. Besides, I prefer to try my best to come up with something particular for the theme once it is announced.

As for Sylvester, indeed I need to register him, kind of like registering a birth :LOL:

The images may not do me justice compared to the previous photos I have taken, but then a slug is probably not the best of subjects to photograph, but I hope I have at least done justice to Sylvester :LOL:

Thanks for your comments about the main flower and the slug+shell photos.

Look forward to seeing what you produce for this week.

Cheers

This looks more like a front cover for a gardening brochure,

the composition is ok, but I feel it lacks depth, looks a little flat, but the colours are good.

good effort as always (y)

:)

This looks more like a front cover for a gardening brochure,

the composition is ok, but I feel it lacks depth, looks a little flat, but the colours are good.

good effort as always (y)

:)

Hiya Emily,

Thanks for the comments. Front cover for a gardening brochure .... at this time of the year could be a good thing :LOL: Pity all the slugs are getting the time to do the gardening for me :p

Composition OK? Flat? at least the colours are good. But I think I know what you meant about looking a little flat (may have to do more work on that one). Let's just say this was my prototype :D

Cheers for the feedback

lol..DAWN..i just sneaked a peek at your empty.. and you did a fuel gauge.. i'm so relieved i didn't do it after all ...the shots of the Big Smog are awesome.. i love the tone ... and all definitely empty... i wasn't too taken by your Object... though the very quality of your photography is on the nose..

though now i await judgement on my own submission.. ahead of time as well... :D

lol..DAWN..i just sneaked a peek at your empty.. and you did a fuel gauge.. i'm so relieved i didn't do it after all ...the shots of the Big Smog are awesome.. i love the tone ... and all definitely empty... i wasn't too taken by your Object... though the very quality of your photography is on the nose..

though now i await judgement on my own submission.. ahead of time as well... :D

Hiya Kev,

Thanks for sneaking a peek and leaving comment.

Fuel gauge is now looking a tad healthier :LOL:

Glad you like the shots of the Big Smog ..... now I know why I was so ill after the visit there :D

Soz the Object didn't hit a thread with you .... guess I'll just have to send Sylvester over to sort you out :p

However thanks for leaving on a positive note :D

Much appreciated

Cheers

..Dawn, you can send Sly over anytime you want... and Colin the wood pigeon will be waiting for him... Colin's usually competing in woodwork and lathe contests up north.. but i'm sure he can spare the time.. :D ...

may i say... i love your comments about my objects... OMG... if wwhat you said was true... and i think it is... then i have just the image i'll have to PP ... i took it tonight as well.. but never finished it... i think i will push on with it.. :D :D :D

..Dawn, you can send Sly over anytime you want... and Colin the wood pigeon will be waiting for him... Colin's usually competing in woodwork and lathe contests up north.. but i'm sure he can spare the time.. :D ...

may i say... i love your comments about my objects... OMG... if wwhat you said was true... and i think it is... then i have just the image i'll have to PP ... i took it tonight as well.. but never finished it... i think i will push on with it.. :D :D :D

Right ..... Sly is on his way (oh and btw he has an anti-wooden-pigeon deterrent so is safe there :LOL:)

Anyway, if it wasn't for Colin's comments on my recent post I'd be on a roll, but he seems to wear the leather jacket round this neck of the woods and has quite the influence (and I don't mean that in an alcoholic beverage way either so don't get too excited ..... although he has posted a shot of same :LOL:) (Sorry Colin :D)

I bet you loved the comments on your 'object' post ..... just wish I'd seen your post before I had commented on yours :bonk:

After what you have said in the latter, I may have to refrain from visiting your post till the next theme, otherwise I am sure I won't get any sleep :help:

Thanks for making this even more fun, even if you don't like my Week 14 :crying: (I think I will just go and eat some worms now :puke:)

Cheers

Back