weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Hi Marsha,

Loving your hand made shot, the one with your mother-in- law and daughter. You've caught the moment very well, both of them engrossed in what they're doing. It's a keeper!

The lathe shot doesn't really say handmade to me, but I really do like the selective colouring one alot. Silver and gold, it works for me.

Money, I had a similar idea but it didn't work out as well as yours and I don't have such nice bottles. Like this one, love the idea that you've been collecting in this bottle for 21 yrs! Will you really be able to cash it in when it's full? Imho it's the most interesting bottle in the shot and I would like to have seen just a bit more of the label on this one, but it's still a great shot, well done.

Carol

Last edited:
Well done for such success with a new-to-you process (y)

Handmade - Marsha, I find selective colour doesn't always work but it certainly does on this one. Nice image.

Money - You've done well with the lighting particularly the neck of the bottles which have just the right amount of glass illuminated. I hope you had as much fun emptying these bottles first as you did filling them :LOL:

Fantastic shot for money; I think the lighting is spot on!

Hi Marsha

great shot for Money....fab bottles ( is it your camera fund :) 0..good work on the lighting as well :clap: Only little niggle is the lefthand bottle not rotated the same as the others...more of the label on show but it's minor & I really do like the image (y)

I've not tried light painting yet but when i do i hope it works as well as your's.

Like that a lot

Cheers

Steve

Like this one I think the background works well and the lighting is good as has been already said the rotation of the bottle. Well done. (y)

Hell's teeth...that's a lot of money.

The lighting is really well done. I'd expect to see more reflections, but there are very few.

Cheers.

Hi Marsha,

Hope your feeling better and you have taken some comfort doing some photography. Full marks for effort. Very nice image this week and well captured.Both the lighting and focus have worked well for you. (y)

Hi Marsha, hope you're feeling better.

You didn't pick an easy subject for a first attempt at light painting, but you have pulled it off brilliantly! Well done!:)

cazagee said:
I had a similar idea but it didn't work out as well as yours and I don't have such nice bottles. Like this one, love the idea that you've been collecting in this bottle for 21 yrs! Will you really be able to cash it in when it's full? Imho it's the most interesting bottle in the shot and I would like to have seen just a bit more of the label on this one, but it's still a great shot, well done.

Thanks Carol. At the moment it's still legal tender, so I'll just pay it into my account, maybe in small amounts at a time though!

Delta Skies said:
You've done well with the lighting particularly the neck of the bottles which have just the right amount of glass illuminated. I hope you had as much fun emptying these bottles first as you did filling them :LOL:

Cheers Peter. Initially I didn't think there was enough detail around the neck!

The large bottle was empty when I got it. The two vodka bottles were both bought full and very much enjoyed in my drinking days! I'm a boring mum now!

Thanks Mark.

Treehugger81 said:
21yrs :nuts: indeed. :)
I know, it's crazy! Where does the time go?

Cheers Paul.

blondie606 said:
great shot for Money....fab bottles ( is it your camera fund :) 0..good work on the lighting as well :clap: Only little niggle is the lefthand bottle not rotated the same as the others...more of the label on show but it's minor & I really do like the image (y)

Yes, maybe I'll buy myself a nice retirement from the military treat in two years with the contents;-)

Dam I hadn't spotted that third bottle! The annoying thing is it has a handle in it and I wanted to get that in, don't know why I didn't? A slight rotation would have achieved it!

tyredout2 said:
I've not tried light painting yet but when i do i hope it works as well as your's.
Thanks Steve. If and when you do don't choose glass for your first attempt:nuts:

Cheers Michael and Trevor.

posiview said:
Hell's teeth...that's a lot of money.

The lighting is really well done. I'd expect to see more reflections, but there are very few.

Thanks Andy, there were some light streaks along the tops of the bottles but I toned those down afterwards!

Saving pennies is amazing. Just empty your pocket everyday and it soon builds up!

The_Oakster said:
Heroic effort to even get to the keyboard!

I like your money shot. Great lighting :clap

Cheers Ben. I think I've come to the realisation that this is possibly real flu as no man could survive this! I hope I kick it soon, it's destroying my enthusiasm:-(

superpippo said:
very good idea and well set up. You have taken a lot of trouble to get it to that standard and i think that it is a success. A lot of detail and I do like the lighting

Thank you very much Alan, greatly appreciated.

Blank_Canvas said:
Hope your feeling better and you have taken some comfort doing some photography. Full marks for effort. Very nice image this week and well captured.Both the lighting and focus have worked well for you. (y)

Alas Nick my camera hasn't seen the light of day since last Saturday:-(

*Sarah* said:
Hi Marsha, hope you're feeling better.

You didn't pick an easy subject for a first attempt at light painting, but you have pulled it off brilliantly! Well done!:)
Thanks Sarah, I love a challenge:bonk: The best part was I only took about 10 shots total! I think I got about 50 for fear!!! Maybe I'm learning something at last (y)

ChickenDipa said:
Great when a theme challenges your technical skills. Good go at light painting and says money really well. Saving for anything particular?

Thanks Alex. Currently I'm thinking of investing in a working immune system! Mine has been destroyed this winter!

Fingers crossed I've got some health and enthusiasm for the new theme tomorrow.

This idea leapt into my head last night, I know it's not the most original as it's coins but again it was more about technique as I wanted to give this light painting lark a go! Obviously choosing glass bottles probably isn't the best subject so the light streaks were toned down in PP! All critique welcome as this is a totally new area to me!

I'm guessing no one else will have hoarded this much in coins! My two Vodka bottles are also quite unique, things you collect on hockey tour in the military!

Money jars.

F16, ISO 800, 21mm 9sec exposure in bulb. I used my AA maglite to light around the bottles trying to avoid the back ground purple throw hanging behind.

In PP I had to tweak some of the coins that were blown and do some level tweaks to get the background black. Most of it was actually ok, just some purple sneaked in between the bottles. Some specks also needed cloning out. I then moved the bottles down (what a faf) as there seemed to be too much space at the bottom making them a bit central!

In case any eagle eyes spot little white flecks on the bigger bottle it's paint and I decided to leave them in, along with the aged looking label!

So I've been collecting coppers in the big bottle for over 21 years! The idea being I'll cash it in when it's full:nuts:

Nice lighting on this one. I spot a fellow money hoarder! I'm just wondering though why the label is upside down on the whicky bottle.:thinking:

Or should I say weak!

I can't sleep for coughing so got up at 3am to catch up on some photography! Inspiration is thin on the ground so I've gone for the obvious!

F7.1, 1/6sec, ISO800, 40mm focal length.

I hit the 'I feel lucky' in Topaz adjust, the effect went odd back in CS5 but blended with colour burn and the letters popped out the screen!!!

I know the I is slightly wonky and you can see the magnets through the W, I also wasn;t sure on the square'ish shadows at the bottom of the letters, but no inclination to remove them!!!

This week is my total cop out! And most definitely on the reshoot card!

Be gentle, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!

Now I'm off to wait for my hubby to wake up to take my defective lungs to A&E for some TLC!

I like win. It may be obvious(ish), but the colours are great, the shadows perfect, and it looks fantastic on the white background :)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Well, given that you took this image at silly o'clock I admire your grim determination (y) You might not be totally happy with it but the +vs are:

1. In focus
2. Nice white background
3 Nice lighting, bold colours and shadows.
4. Still on target and not lagged behind ! - result !

I really hope you feel better soon.

Nick

Sorry to hear you're not well Marsha...You have some real determination with this challenge to still keep up to the weeks even whilst feeling poorly.....credit to you!
A simple shot but as already said by others it works well with the bold colours and shadows.
Wishing you a rapid improvement with your health.

Thanks Mark, Nick & Asha.

I've had some really nasty viral bug that has only started clearing now, from my head anyway, my lungs are not in a happy place still!

I had a choice last night, lie there and cough my guts up or get up and do something constructive! I got my Practical Photography DSLR skills shot sorted and uploaded too!

I couldn't have done it two days ago, I could barely move out of bed! I NEED to be healthy now, this bug is wrecking me!!

Hi Marsha,

Really hope you shake this bug off soon, unfortionately these things run their course. But look at what you can do while under par like that. There ain't nothing wrong with an obvoius shot, especially when so well done. I agree with what has already been said, lighting, colours, focus and nice clean white background all spot on.

Good job Marsha.

Carol

Thanks everyone.

manda said:
How's the man flu?

Nasty! I took myself to A&E today after my doctor refused to send me for a chest x-ray! Just a mild case of pneumonia going on in there:bang: It certainly explains why I feel so crappy and my doctor might be getting some chest poking on Monday!

Definitely says win if you'll forgive the pun. It would have been easy to over-saturate this one so nicely shot.

Well done for still contributing this week especially if it meant a 3am photoshoot. Hope you get over the lurgy soon.

Obvious it may be but still a great shot. IMO could do with a little less foreground and a little more at the back of the shot. Me just being picky though.

Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery after finally finding out the problem. I'd be giving your doctor more than a few pokes in the chest if that were me. Get well soon.

posiview said:
Can't see Win myself...:D

You're funny, I'll kill you last ;-)

Treehugger81 said:
IMO could do with a little less foreground and a little more at the back of the shot. Me just being picky though.

I thought this too! But I'd stuck my letters in the wrong part of the A4 paper, I got the shadows as long as I could within the paper and cropped to the edge of those.

This really was the fastest set up and PP going! I tried to move it down in PP but brain really was having misfires by that point. I shall re edit at some stage, especially now I've had some sleep the world seems clearer!

Delta Skies said:
It would have been easy to over-saturate this one so nicely shot.

Thanks Peter. I'll have to post the original to show how weak the colours were to start with!

Thanks Andy, Alan and everyone.

Let's see what the knew theme brings.

Win has been a tricky one this week - well done for thinking of something !

Nice bright colours I just wonder if the shadow needs to be more noticable (or not there at all).

I also wonder about whether the shadow coming forward of the letters would make more of it?

Back