weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

All this week has been rubbish lighting except today but I wasn't driving in the snow!

every time I drive up and down the A34 I check the line of trees directly opposite the power station, I noticed them one night at sunset and the light has never been as good since!

I love everyone's different opinions, doesn't it make this challenge interesting? Thanks Paul & Darren. I do like the B&W one but I think the colour one is still just winning it for me!

sturisoma said:
every time I drive up and down the A34 I check the line of trees directly opposite the power station, I noticed them one night at sunset and the light has never been as good since
Summer that's just typical!

You drive past my neck of the woods, I'm just East of Didcot:)

Hi Marsha, I'm sorry, I haven't got here before. Very lax of me.
My favourite shot of yours is the one of your daughter leaning backwards over the pole. Brilliant.
Your colour power station is the best one of that set for me. Are those drums full of honey? Yum.

Fear - I like that you took the theme of fear and managed to produce a nice fun picture which still fit the theme.

Sigh - I generally don't like pictures of peoples children. But This is such a well balanced, framed, focused image, that it's imposible not to like it. The DOF is perfect and it captures the childs mood incredibly well.

Sweet - Another great idea, popping prescription drugs like candy.

Industry - For me this shot works due to the combination of two industries. Having farming and power next to eachother helps to focus on both subjects.

Cheers Mandy and Mike, the colour one is winning I think!
mtjhome said:
Like the Honey shot too - that would been good for 'Sweet' ??
I didn't even think of that(y)
St-ephen said:
My favourite shot of yours is the one of your daughter leaning backwards over the pole. Brilliant
Silent-Sam said:
Sigh - I generally don't like pictures of peoples children. But This is such a well balanced, framed, focused image, that it's imposible not to like it. The DOF is perfect and it captures the childs mood incredibly well.
Thank you both for dropping in, I like that an accidental shot is so well liked:)
St-ephen said:
Are those drums full of honey? Yum.
They sure are. It's imported in from around the world and processed here!

Still thinking about 'root'! Yesterday's attempts were weak:sulk:

So I tried the tree roots, failed. I tried an onion, not a bad effort. Then today I thought hair roots, mine need doing:confused: and then Andy (Posiview) was quick of the mark! But I decided, no I'll still try it but a macro version. I have a rather posh macro lens and not a clue how to use it! I decided this looked better cropped as you can see the oil being secreted on some of the hairs.

This is handheld at F8, 1/80 sec, 800ISO, with flash gun attached.

The main issue was getting close enough so I had to shoot in manual, not ideal when your husband moves even a tiny bit! I'm impressed some of it is in focus.

All you pro macro peeps, advice accepted!

Last edited:
excellent shot, lots of fine detail :clap:

Great shot, especially as you managed it hand held!

Industry - All on theme and I think they all work, though I prefer the ones of the power station. Can't decide between the colour and the mono.

Root - I like it. A different take. I think it's hard when you're photographing something like this to decide where to focus, because there is often no obvious point of interest. This photograph makes me think of an insect! (But hush, please don't tell your husband! :p )

Hi Marsha

different take but soooo on theme....almost creeps me out...so glad I can't see the top of my head :LOL: Good detail n lighting works as you've no blown bits... (y)

Excellent detail, clean head too :D
Alby he did worry I might see some dandruff!

This photograph makes me think of an insect! (But hush, please don't tell your husband! :p )
He also joked that I might see something crawling:puke: Thankfully not! I have no idea where I focused here, but there is a hair on the right with the thickest base that looks the most in focus!

Lynne, Alex, I think it's a little creepy too. It just reminds me of the Southpark episode where the kids have headlice (instantly wanting to scratch all over now)

A fascinating shot and despite the fact I wouldn't hang it on my wall, it is bang on theme!

Hi Marsha

Root - well done. Really good idea and very well executed - such a nice bright image because of good lighting.

Fascinating follicles particularly that one centre right. We all lose hair every day as it renews itself (or in my case, doesn't:D) so I wonder whether that is a hair that was about to come out:thinking:

No fancy lighting here, just a desk lamp sat on the sofa (hubby sat on the floor) aimed directly and the flash gun on!

superpippo said:
We all lose hair every day as it renews itself (or in my case, doesn't:D) so I wonder whether that is a hair that was about to come out:thinking:
That's a good question Alan and given me another idea:thinking:

Some nice work in your 52 Marsha.
You have caught the relevant themes well in all of your images....
Week 1 .......Going by recent weather, I'm not so sure the North Pole is so far away from the UK!! lol
Week 2 is so imaginative ...Just love the idea!
Your youngsters make excellent subjects for your themes too so it seems...
Week 3 looks such a natural pose from your little girl ...Well captured!
Week 4 I can see the relationship between the theme and the pills but the sweet image of your little boy appeals more.....Although a lover of B&W, the colour version works better for me in this instance.
Week 5 Two good takes on the theme but your daughter being held securely by daddy is excellent.
Week 6 has to be the colour version of the power station for me. The panoramic crop suits it well.
Week 7 At first glance, before I read the details, I thought it was some sort of reed grass in sand dunes! lolo......A superb take on this weeks theme and the detail of the oil secretion....Brilliant!
Well done!

Hi Marsha,

Liking your colour industry shot, the green fields, pure and clean eco friendly stand in stark contrast to the pollution spewing factory in the distance.

Your roots shot is very well photographed, great idea.

Carol

That is a very good but oddly disgusting shot - it just looks, well, I don't know to be honest but I know I don't like it...

Bang on theme though!

Nice shot....but unconventionally nice:p

Great detail and perfect for the theme.:)

So I tried the tree roots, failed. I tried an onion, not a bad effort. Then today I thought hair roots, mine need doing:confused: and then Andy (Posiview) was quick of the mark! But I decided, no I'll still try it but a macro version. I have a rather posh macro lens and not a clue how to use it! I decided this looked better cropped as you can see the oil being secreted on some of the hairs.

This is handheld at F8, 1/80 sec, 800ISO, with flash gun attached.

The main issue was getting close enough so I had to shoot in manual, not ideal when your husband moves even a tiny bit! I'm impressed some of it is in focus.

All you pro macro peeps, advice accepted!

That is very good ... yuk! :D

Thanks Michael, Carol and Gramps.

ivandobski said:
That is a very good but oddly disgusting shot - it just looks, well, I don't know to be honest but I know I don't like it...
:LOL: I agree it's not the most appealing to look at :puke:

Thanks for dropping in Asha and Harry.

Great shot but a bit :puke:

(y)

You have done really well on this one and got the exposure fine but I think a better DOF would give you a bit more in focus but saying that it’s a cracking shot, (y) until you know what it is :LOL:

Hi,

Loving the industry shot, very good, if we have a pollution week you can go back there lol.

The root shot is amazing.

Matt

Hi, Marsha, cracker but not a great one to look after when I've just had a large kebab...all due respect..:puke:

The detail is really great.

What lens?

Cheers.

:LOL: Asha. We had a head lice scare last year when my friends son got them, thankfully we escaped that time (cue the itching) Although they'd be fascinating (and horrible) to try and photograph :puke:

Trevor I was happy to get anything in focus. Shooting manually I found it difficult to see what I was actually catching. Thanks for dropping by.

Thanks Matt.

Andy it's the Canon EF 100mm F2.8L macro IS, very nice but I need to use it more. Great, I want a kebab now!

Amazing detail in your root shot, because of that the 100mm 2.8L Macro has just made my shopping list!

Back