weekly *manda* updated

I agree with the comments so far, the mum's face should be the focus for pride. I think it's on theme and a good shot. I wasn't sure about the colour at first but it does work. In fact it looks like a picture taken in the 70's :clap: :clap:

I agree with the comments so far, the mum's face should be the focus for pride. I think it's on theme and a good shot. I wasn't sure about the colour at first but it does work. In fact it looks like a picture taken in the 70's :clap: :clap:

I've gone off the processing this morning too - I've sent the images over with the original toning in LR4 - a selection the images will be posted here: FACEBOOK LINK

Cheers Mandy

Like the egg shot - I tried to do one, but was a complete flop. Not as easy as it looks is it. Nice idea going from the top. And like the composition with the other items.

Pride - once again really great use of B&W and large sections of the image OOF. I only wish I was as bold / brave / confident as you. Maybe one day.

Soft is really good good composition with all those circles

Pride you seem very critical of the pic but sometimes its what you feel not the technical aspects that matter

Amanda,

Soft - I'm with the previous posters; really like the comp of this. Very nice.

Pride - The fingers aren't a distraction for me at all. I think it's a good photo. If I'm being picky I would have liked a bit more detail in the mother's face.

Another stunning shot! Yet again you've shown how the rules aren't rules at all, and are best broken! And I agree that for this theme it's the Mum who needs to be in view, showing her pride, which you've captured magnificently :)

Just realised I missed your shot for soft. I love it! Boiled eggs are my favourite food bar none, and your photo has simillar tones to your one for sweet, which was one of my favourites.

Can you please PM me the egg now you've finished with it? :)

Hi manda

Soft - again cracking shot, bang on theme, superbly lit, and dof spot on.

Pride - loving the processing on this, my only grip is that would like to see more of your mum in focus too.

Btw I'm following you on fb too and a biiiiiig fan of your work :)

Soft...yip that's one soft egg...(y)

Some great muted tones and it has a dreamy feel to it....coffee even has steam coming from it!

Egg looks a tad over exposed?

Pride, mum's eyes say it all - cracker.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi manda

oh boy....not really sure what to say.....I do like the expression on mum's face...speaks volumes so for that it's bang on theme , like the angle as well (y)

I'm gonna be in a minority here but to me the focus doesn't seem to be on mum's face enough..it looks sort of very slightly soft to me with a patch on the childs outfit leading up to his/her ear & hair being the most in focus bits ? Maybe I just see things wrong ?
What are florebella actions by the way ? It does appear to look like an "aged" or old fashioned type of image which kinda suits it .

I've checked out your FB link & there's some fab images there of little'uns (y)

hi Manda

Sorry but not posted since Shiny:bonk:

Vice - excellent composition and colour. Clever idea

Entrance - a bit brooding and I can't make up my mind if it is an entrance to a seedy place - that's the effect on me of the mood that you have created.(y)

Soft - Lovely colour palate, composition and exposure. For me the egg is not prominent enough and the softness does not stand out. You may not like this but at first look I thought it was an egg with nice open pots of paint:wacky: It reminds me of Fired Earth paint adverts. Still like the picture a lot(y) but it is strange how first visual impressions are hard to remove from the mind.

Pride - I thnk that is a stunning composition for the theme. Love and pride in the mother's eyes, the dependence of the child whose head has to be held in place. Beautiful. I like the sepia and grainy feel to it too. The issues that you have raised do not bother me too much. I think that the main drawback of the fingers is not that they are there but that they are apart and not curled. Something for the future perhaps.

Hey there playing catch up

Soft I think the only thing I would like to see is just a flash of the that runny yoke that would scream soft to me non the less a good shot

Pride this I I love the use of b+w the composition and the fact that I can't wait to get some shots like this. I don't suppose you can tell me how this was set up ?

No worries - in this link I explained my approach for the Practical Photography course some of us are doing!

Basically - I ask for willing volunteers in this forum which is similar to TP - normal people wanting to boost their skill set without the attitude. It is not as professional as modelmayhem, which I like - I feel less intimidated!

Each year I give myself a different skill to learn - at the moment it is all about flash which is a whole new learning curve.

Prep - I google images of what I want to achieve, saving camera settings, lighting set ups etc. I print this out the night before and keep it to hand.

Communication - I email the model just before the shoot to share ideas - this is a good way to 'manage expectations'.

On the day - I just wing it hoping that I've got all the ideas in my head. My default set up is the one I always start with:

Lens = 50mm set at 2.8 or 3.2 AV mode.
ISO = If it is light I will use 100 ISO. If it is dull I will use auto-ISO.
Flash = sigma ring flash set to TTL (I'll manually adjust -1 or +1)
Reflector = small one sat on the models knee [dad held the reflector for me in this photo - a god send].

Setting = my signature style is to use steps - you can get on their level, the subject's body rests in a natural pose and it is comfortable for them.

Approach = take 1 photo with no flash / reflector, review. Add reflector take 1 photo, review image. Add flash take 1 photo, review image and adjust flash. I explain what I am doing to the subject and why this will create great images to reassure them. EG I'm just going to take a test exposure, now I'm going to add the reflector this will make your eyes pop etc.

Paparazzi time = from this point onwards I need to work with the subject and aim to get natural expressions knowing I've got my exposure correct.

I'm backing up some photos, but will try and find some 'outtakes' - they tell the real story!

Phew - does that make sense? Mandy

Soft.
I think the composition of your shot is great although I would have liked to have seen a bigger crop just to see how it looks. You have all the elements there once you realise what they are.
Only thing for me is the yoke looks blown a bit although it might be my laptop as if I angle it a bit there seems a lot of detail there but I lose the rest of the picture.

Pride.
Oh I really can’t decide on this I’m trying to put my finger on it but cant.
the overall shot is really great, and shows all you need the hand cradling the baby works for me, the loving look from the mother even the wet hair, yes as you mentioned the blanket, and I would have liked to have had the focus on the mother a tad more. (y)

Magical – I do like this one. Good use of B&W

Entrance – Nice pp’ing but a slight straighten using perspective at top and bottom would help

Soft – I’d have liked to have seen more of the yolk but the lighting and colours are lovely on this one.

Pride – Definitely on theme with the new mum shot

Last edited:
Week 17 - Short

TP 52 Project 17 short by M@ndy, on Flickr

Nit pits - not a very good shot overall - the red detracts from the 'short hand', the text should have been burned in darker, possibly needed a couple of millimetres higher away from the corner of the book.

I shot this in jpeg for a change - having computer problems at the mo and can't use LR, but did use the free textures in the link for 'pride' and free actions from 'funky photoshop'.

Last edited:
So little time to comment on 52s, sorry
Pride, I think you have caught this well and mum's expression is just right. You have already crit the faults although my opinion is that pulling back would not add to the shot. Even the baby's face is not important for the theme, Mum's pride and joy.
Short, good take on theme. Does need to be darker to see writing, maybe curves adjust. I dont think anything is gained by the OOF pencil.

Hi Mandy,

Been very busy and still playing catch up....

'Soft' - I really like this image and thanks too for showing your set-up shot. Nice work.

'Pride' - A lovely portrait in your signature style, you really do have a very distinctive flair flair for this type of image.

'Short' - A good take on this week's theme. I like the depth of field you have chosen forcing the observer to look at the text.

Nice work. (y)

I have had a few trials and tribulations but eventually managed to download DropBox. I'm still trying to open up the 'Nick' file but struggling. Any ideas...

Hi Mandy,

Been very busy and still playing catch up....

'Soft' - I really like this image and thanks too for showing your set-up shot. Nice work.

'Pride' - A lovely portrait in your signature style, you really do have a very distinctive flair flair for this type of image.

'Short' - A good take on this week's theme. I like the depth of field you have chosen forcing the observer to look at the text.

Nice work. (y)

I have had a few trials and tribulations but eventually managed to download DropBox. I'm still trying to open up the 'Nick' file but struggling. Any ideas...

Hi, sorry you can't get the file - it wasn't that great to be honest. Thanks for your feedback, Mandy

Hi Manda. I like the idea for short, but yes the shorthand does get lost in the picture unfortunately.

I ad a simillar idea for short, but my wife couldn't remember any f the shorthand she learned 25 years ago! I have told her to pull her socks up for next time!

You've got some great shots here Manda.

I love your soft shot. I looked at your Pinterest link (I still don't get Pinterest yet, but I'll try again)! and your food shots are fantastic. I love them.

You've got some great shots here Manda.

I love your soft shot. I looked at your Pinterest link (I still don't get Pinterest yet, but I'll try again)! and your food shots are fantastic. I love them.

Thanks - I think pinterest if a gal thing. The food images aren't mine - just pockets of inspiration!

Cheers Mandy

Who, that's a great shot for leave! Can't fault it.

And yes I think pinterest might well be a Gal thing! I've had a look, and can't for the life of me work out what it's all about! I just don't get the concept :(

Back