Show us yer film shots then!

No no, I'm quite happy to accept it being pebhaf... (problem exists between hair and film).
On the plus side, its something that can be improved with effort, which is preferable to "no, thats just how it is, you're stuck with it".

Just had a very quick search on flickr and the 'feel' of the film is as in mine, so thats one question eliminated.
Overall they just dont look as sharp as I'd hoped, though it does still have a charming character I think.
Its not the first film by a long shot, but two of the three lenses I used on this roll were new to me, and I found focussing the 28mm particularly tough.

100 film indoors on a dull day... no wonder the dof is small :p

Last edited:
No no, I'm quite happy to accept it being pebhaf... (problem exists between hair and film).
On the plus side, its something that can be improved with effort, which is preferable to "no, thats just how it is, you're stuck with it".

Just had a very quick search on flickr and the 'feel' of the film is as in mine, so thats one question eliminated.
Overall they just dont look as sharp as I'd hoped, though it does still have a charming character I think.
Its not the first film by a long shot, but two of the three lenses I used on this roll were new to me, and I found focussing the 28mm particularly tough.

One thing that can happen is to actually "try too hard" to get the focus right.

It wouldn't be the first time that spending too much time looking through the viewfinder trying to nail focus has actually proved more detriemntal than lift to eye, focus ( on what looks to be sharp for that fairly short moment ) and shooting.

Some fantastic shots in this thread,

Mid Gen, your M6 is proving to be a great eye on the far east in your hands, really liking your developing portfolio and the vicarious expereice of distant lands your work is offereing!

Fruitflakes, I love the colours in that Kodak ColorPlus 200 shot, the F3HP and 50 1.8 is a nice combintion, I still have 12 or so rolls of this film in the fridge so I must give it an outing again

Cambsno, your posting is really not helping me fight the urge to buy a classic Leica, the quality you are getting out of the set up is quite superb PLEASE STOP POSTING, my credit card is at very serious risk!!!!:nono:

Walsh, very nice monochromes, really like the rural road shot, the simple yet enegaging composition is very pleasing to the eye

Cheers Adrian, give in like I did!!! Good thing is that if you buy sensibly, the kit should retain its value so easy to sell if you dont like it. Liking the M2 but would love to have the funds for an M6.

I did wonder if, and I'm grasping at straws, a lot of the shots on that film were shot straight out of the fridge, so could there have been moisture on the film?

It is possible for condensation to form on the film if you remove it from cold storage and immediately unseal it. General rule of thumb is to wait about an hour and a quarter for 35mm in the fridge before unsealing it, and an hour and a half for that in the freezer (according to Kodak's technical publication).

They're normally, in the case of b&w anyway, bulk rolled so they're not sealed.
I shall implement your advice though, many thanks

A couple from my first roll of Lomo purple film.
It's basically trying to fake the look of colour infrared film by shifting the greens towards purple / pink.
Both taken on a Hasselblad 501cm

9541211436_e908bb74c1_c.jpg
[/url]
Deer by g lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

9515747131_f6d636a816_c.jpg
[/url]
Limestone Pavement by g lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

After the thread yesterday on upping the scanning game, I decided to have an experiment with my scanner. This led to the discovery of the full potential of the manual white balance. I never realised that there was the ability to right click on the image. This means I can now get slides looking a lot more like the actual real slide.

So, first up a rescan from my recent trip to Wales back in May. I never really posted too many of these as I was not very happy with the scans I produced, and the one below never featured the orange on the clouds (not matter how hard I tried).

North Wales Rescan by Sectionate, on Flickr

Last edited:

500cm, 60mm, Velvia 100f.

Last edited:
Popped up to Seahouses a few weeks ago, here is a few from Bamborugh Castle, just the Poundland Vista in the FG with the 50mm.

Great shot. You can be proud of that one.

Some fantastic shots in this thread,

Mid Gen, your M6 is proving to be a great eye on the far east in your hands, really liking your developing portfolio and the vicarious expereice of distant lands your work is offereing!

Fruitflakes, I love the colours in that Kodak ColorPlus 200 shot, the F3HP and 50 1.8 is a nice combintion, I still have 12 or so rolls of this film in the fridge so I must give it an outing again

Cambsno, your posting is really not helping me fight the urge to buy a classic Leica, the quality you are getting out of the set up is quite superb PLEASE STOP POSTING, my credit card is at very serious risk!!!!:nono:

Walsh, very nice monochromes, really like the rural road shot, the simple yet enegaging composition is very pleasing to the eye

Thanks Rob and Adrian, finally have my colour scanning workflow in order so I'm generally quite pleased with the colours I've been getting from my negs/slides - now I have to do raw scans of my (thankfully small) archive!

So I blew 2 rolls of velvia on night shots, might as well have just chucked em off Paignton pier, 4 rolls of Porta yeiled nothing worth a fart, so I've got some nice looking daytime slide touristy cliché pics to show for 2 weeks..:shake:

oh and a roll of acros as yet undeveloped, if there's nothin on that, I'm gonna take up knitting.

27x3wk6.jpg

9gei2t.jpg

2l97eoz.jpg

fn4nzl.jpg

So I blew 2 rolls of velvia on night shots, might as well have just chucked em off Paignton pier, 4 rolls of Porta yeiled nothing worth a fart, so I've got some nice looking daytime slide touristy cliché pics to show for 2 weeks..:shake:

oh and a roll of acros as yet undeveloped, if there's nothin on that, I'm gonna take up knitting.

Yeah...but these are looking good. Loving #3

Portra :) I'm really happy with how they came out.

Portra what ?

I've just shot 4 rolls of 160 and I'm not at all impressed, they're low contrast pretty cool/green in temperature and not very sharp, in a word......naff

Portra what ?

I've just shot 4 rolls of 160 and I'm not at all impressed, they're low contrast pretty cool/green in temperature and not very sharp, in a word......naff

160, on 35mm. I found it to be fairly warm in temperature, and at the night time indoors with fairly dim lighting made all the photos come out very red/orange-tinted, like the one with the painting in it but to a more extreme scale, I had to dull the reds/oranges a bit on that which I hate doing on film but had no other choice if I wanted to save the photo. The landscapes and shots of the ceremony came out great though.

I dunno then, mine was fresh 120, maybe I ought to give them another scan, the colour is easy to sort but sharpness and the lack of contrast takes more effort.
Maybe its because I shoot mostly slide....expectations an all that.

Anyway, its no knitting for me, the acros has slapped my face and blown a raspberry, don't think there's a duffer on the roll, this is the first to be dusted..:banana:

5wjuki.jpg

I put a test roll through the 645 last week when trying out my new 75mm lens. However, one of my favourite pics is from the 45mm lens.

Pentax 645n, 45mm lens, Acros 100 in 1+50 Rodinal
20130827131806_bubblegun.jpg

I dunno then, mine was fresh 120, maybe I ought to give them another scan, the colour is easy to sort but sharpness and the lack of contrast takes more effort.

Anyway, its no knitting for me, the acros has slapped my face and blown a raspberry, don't think there's a duffer on the roll, this is the first to be dusted..:banana:

5wjuki.jpg

Definitely don't take up knitting, this is a great shot.(y)

5wjuki.jpg

Absolutely cracking monochrome, great range of tones, very engaging composition and the sort of sky that just seems to elude me. Just what B&W shooting is all about for me. More please!

...the sort of sky that just seems to elude me....
Red filter Jao..(y)
More please!
Haven't souped b/w for a while, I think our lass must have emptied the vacuum bag in the processing drum, the dust is horrific, so it might be a while.
I hardly touched that pic, it scanned like that at default, contrasty as hell.
Some of the others are even more contrasty, I think I have made a mistake.
Usually I shoot fp4 @ asa 50 with this red filter, I think the slightly slower speed of acros 100 has under exposed a smidge on the pictures that don't have the sun light levels of that one.
The blacks are blocked up, there is no detail in them on the neg, I think this one is a fail.
Maybe a red grad is a better choice, or orange or fp4:shrug:

2n8dl5i.jpg

Red filter Jao..(y)

Haven't souped b/w for a while, I think our lass must have emptied the vacuum bag in the processing drum, the dust is horrific, so it might be a while.
Usually I shoot fp4 @ asa 50 with this red filter, I think the slightly slower speed of acros 100 has under exposed a smidge on the pictures that don't have the sun light levels of that one.
The blacks are blocked up, there is no detail in them on the neg, I think this one is a fail.

2n8dl5i.jpg

Even with a red filter I struggle to get the skies you are achieving, looks to me that you have found a good combo with that filter and film. The Acros looks a bit more contrary than FP4. I am a real FP4 fan and have a fridge full but on the basis of these shots I am going to give it a go. Now what food stuff to throw out of the fridge to make room for it:thinking:

PS Red Grad sounds like a plan too

A few photos with the Bronica SQ-A from Glen Coe and Glen Etive:

RJ, another nice set from that Bronnie of yours(y)

I like them all, particularly like 3, 4 and 5. Great quirky abstract quality to 3 and 4. Are the scans out sourced as per one of your previous posts?

Oh blimey there are some nice shots coming here!

Thorton, love the Italy shots, especially the roofs in the second post. Lovely muted colours there...

John (joxby) sad t here your other Velvia got messed up, but the Velvia shots you showed us are pretty nice, specially no 3 with the wheel.

...and then the Acros shots. The first particularly, sa you wrote, slaps you in the face! Love it, I've been meaning to give my red filter a go so I guess that's just jumped up the priority list from sometime to this film!

Has anyone seen a red grad? I've got a tobacco one that I've not used yet... I was under the general impression we didn't need grads on b&W given the high density range?

RJ, like the Bronnie shots, especially the last two. Also interested in Adrian's question re scanning!

Red filter Jao..(y)

2n8dl5i.jpg

Absolutely fantastic tones and exposure there Joxby, the sky is just perfect. (y)

That third one is a great looking scan, you can't always see how good the film/exposure/scan is from distant scape shots.

RJ, another nice set from that Bronnie of yours(y)

I like them all, particularly like 3, 4 and 5. Great quirky abstract quality to 3 and 4. Are the scans out sourced as per one of your previous posts?

Cheers, Adrian. Yes, these were developed and scanned by UK Film Lab like the other photos I posted a few days ago.

RJ, like the Bronnie shots, especially the last two. Also interested in Adrian's question re scanning!

Many thanks, Chris. I particularly like number four myself.

I'm still going to develop and scan my own black and white, but I've been using UK Film Lab recently for my colour negatives and I've been liking the results so far. Their scans are far better than what I'd been getting myself and it saves heaps of time at the computer, which means more time for playing with my cameras (and working on my PhD too, I guess).

Last edited:
From the late 1960s - A scan from a slide.
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic with a Takumar macro lens

Film0021 by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Hello Richard,

Very good close up and the in focus colour sat on the OOF petals looks really good. What film from the 60,s did you use?

Back