Jenny's 52 - Part 2 - Week 52 - The End

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
For anyone who has not seen my 52 thread, I am capturing a year in the life of an English country garden. Click here to see the first half of the year.

Or, click here to see last week's photos.

This week I have been practising on the butterflies, of which there are hundreds, with little success. I will not bother to post most of them. I was very pleased to chalk up another first for the garden - a purple emperor, which I have never even heard of. Sadly no decent photo.

My first shot is a Ringlet. I was a bit annoyed by the overlapping green bit on bottom right.

Img_3906b.jpg

Next is, I think, a large white. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Img_3326b.jpg

I wanted to post one in a different pose, so here is another silver-washed fritillary.

Img_3717b.jpg

Last night I was very excited to see a really beautiful moth on the office window, one I have never seen before. As usual, taking moth photos in the pitch black is not very easy, but I was reasonably pleased with this shot.

Cimg0945b.jpg

Next, a bit boring, I know, but this is a wild onion, sometimes called Crow Garlic. I find these really ugly wild flowers rather intriguing.

Img_3643b.jpg

Finally, it's that time of year again when the grasshoppers visit. We usually find them all over the house for a week or two each year. I am not sure whether it is a Common Green or a Field Grasshopper. If anyone can confirm the ID I would be very grateful.

I took several photos and tried one face on and also another face on at a slight angle, but I think this one worked best, even if the composition is a bit boring.

Img_3253b.jpg

So, a rather disappointing week photographically. I hope next week is better.

C&C is very muich appreciated.

Jenny

Last edited:
Jenny, fantastic start to part 2 of your 52(y)
The images of the butterflies are wonderful colourful shots but my favourite is the grasshopper, a simple image well composed and lit. Iain

Jenny, got to agree with Iain, a wonderful start to the second half of the 52. Lots of colour and art in those flutterbys. I really like the onion too... but the grasshopper is excellent.

My fave I think is the Fritilliary...

If this is a dissapointing week I can't wait to see the ones you are happy with.

There are some excellents shots in there.

I really like the grasshopper. Really sharp and well lit. Just perfect.

Andy

Many thanks to everyone for the comments. They are really appreciated. I think the reason I was a bit dissatisfied is because some are quite heavily cropped - the moth and butterflies. I am still not very sure the best lens to use for them. I cannot use the macro lens because I can't get close enough, so I think I took these with the 70-300 IS. I cannot use a tripod because they are never still, so they are all handheld.

Jenny

Another great set of pictures, Jenny. I like the large white butterfly picture - the contrast of colours and the composition make it!

Phil

It has been a bit of a difficult week for weather. It is impossible to photograph flowers and flying things when it is blustery. I am not going to have much time to take any better shots over the weekend, so I may as well post what I have now. I am happy with a couple of them and not sure about one of them.

Firstly, this is not as sharp as I would have liked because of the breeze and I will try to reshoot when the weather improves and if I can find any more of them. Two red soldier beetles having a good time.

Img_4117b.jpg

Next, I found this lovely little yellowtail moth hanging on the fennel. It is a gorgeous little furry thing, so-called because it has a yellow tail hidden beneath all that fluff. I had a lot of trouble trying to get a shot with the focus in the right place. Some of the highlights are a bit blown, but I still quite like it, mostly because it is such an intriguing little creature.

Img_3964b.jpg

I am quite happy with the next shot, except that I did not notice the nibbled leaves until I was processing the shot :(

Img_4002b.jpg

Finally, my favourite shot of the week, even though I really struggle with landscapes. I was trying to capture the blue sky and little fluffy white clouds that make a summer's day so pretty. These roses are the only ones that the deer have not eaten (don't know why) and along with the crappy fence I thought this made a typically rustic "over the garden fence" country garden scene. On the other hand I may be talking complete rubbish!

Img_4071b.jpg

C&C very much appreciated and I would really like to know whether or not the moth shot is rubbish.

Jenny

Hi Jenny - just catching up. :)

Week 27: What a wonderful collection of butterflies and moths - Victorian butterfly hunters should have had digital cameras! :)

The Ringlet - what beautiful detail in the wings - the white flower sets it off perfectly. :)

The Large White - this is my favourite bvecause of the fantastic detail in the veining on the winge - it may not be as exotic as some of the others, but this shot certainly wows me. (y)

The Frittilary - this sits so beautifully and harmoniously (?) in its background. The body detail is really good too. :)

THe swollowtailed moth - this only just missed out as my favourite - you have done a fantastic job on an impossible subject. Well done, indeed.

Wild Onion - I've never heard of these - or seen them. What an interesting plant and captured in beautiful detail.

Grasshopper - I like the dof because is emphasises those huge eyes - yes, a different angle might have been more satisfying, but there's absolutely nowt wrong with this one. Very nice indeed.

Week 28: I sympathise with you - blustery weather is a 'mare. You just get the shot lined up and - wooosh - the wind ruins it. :bang: So all more credit to you for your excellent shots this week.

The red soldier beetles made me smile - and the little black beetle totally oblivious to the sex romp going on so close by! :D

The yellow tail moth (I'll believe you about the yellow tail!! ;) ) - I think it deserves a place in your set. Yes, it could be a little sharper - but I can imagine how difficult it is to photograph and I'm quite certain I wouldn't have got anything nearly as good as this. And handheld, too. A huge well done from me on getting such a cutie. :)

The colours in the hazelnuts are really beautiful - I'd want to have this printed and framed.

The perfect summer day definitely fits its caption, Jenny. imo you've achieved what you set out to capture - a quintessentially English view. And you've done it beautifully - as always.

Your Part 2 is off to a cracking good start - a huge (y) from me. :)

Interesting observations about lenses, Jenny. I go through similar dilemmas and changing lenses is far too slow with this type of photography. I sometimes fantasise about the 'perfect' lens - sad, isn't it. :LOL:

Jean

Some fantastic shots again. The butterflies are all gorgeous and I particularly like the swallow-tailed moth and the yellow-tailed moth. I find it really difficult photographing them as they flit about so quickly, and if they do stay on a flower for a few moments it is usually blowing in the wind.

The wild onion is intriguing and your picture works really well. One of the reasons I enjoy your thread so much is that it opens my eyes to things that I have never noticed.

The grasshopper reminds me so much of a teacher I had at school. You know the sort - elderly and thin, wore clothes in just those colours and used to fix us with a beady eye :LOL:.

This might seem lazy but Jean has said just about everything I would.

The only thing she missed out was well done for managing to get any shots at all of the grasshopper because if they are anything like the ones out here they don't hang about very long.

And I definitely think you were too hard on yourself about wk 27 as I would be proudto have produced any of them :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jenny, I can't believe that you were disappointed in week 27. Those are absolutely gorgeous shots.

We seem to have had so few butterflies here this year that it's a pleasure to see them - and each of them is a lovely shot in its own right.
My favourite of the bunch is the large white. I love the way that it's posed on the Lavender head and great detail in it.

And I fail to see anything boring about your grasshopper. Absolutely love this one.

I sympathise with the weather conditions in week 28. I was out on Sunday continuing my mission for a bee in flight - and that lavender was blowing all over the place.

The Yellowtail moth is definitely deserving of a place here IMO. It's such a bizarre looking thing.
I can imagine that it was a nightmare to photograph - all that white fluff :LOL: - but I think you've done remarkably well.

It's the hazelnuts that stand out for me though. Crisp, sharp shot with beautiful colours. I wouldn't even have noticed the nibbled leaves if you hadn't pointed them out.

Hi Jenny - I think all the shots this week are good, but there's something I can't put finger on - none of the quite grab my interest.

I think that sometimes close-up shots look like they are accurately recording the subject matter, and sometimes compositionally draw you in. These shots are all good, but don't quite draw me in. I imagined that the black beetle in the first didn't know where to look and that made me smile!

Phil

Another good set there Jenny. It's a tough one for me... I'm intrigued by the yellow tail moth, that's one furry moth... and the hazelnuts...

Hi Jenny - just catching up.

Week 27: What a wonderful collection of butterflies and moths - Victorian butterfly hunters should have had digital cameras!

The Ringlet - what beautiful detail in the wings - the white flower sets it off perfectly.

The Large White - this is my favourite bvecause of the fantastic detail in the veining on the winge - it may not be as exotic as some of the others, but this shot certainly wows me. (y)

The Frittilary - this sits so beautifully and harmoniously (?) in its background. The body detail is really good too.

THe swollowtailed moth - this only just missed out as my favourite - you have done a fantastic job on an impossible subject. Well done, indeed.

Wild Onion - I've never heard of these - or seen them. What an interesting plant and captured in beautiful detail.

Grasshopper - I like the dof because is emphasises those huge eyes - yes, a different angle might have been more satisfying, but there's absolutely nowt wrong with this one. Very nice indeed.

Week 28: I sympathise with you - blustery weather is a 'mare. You just get the shot lined up and - wooosh - the wind ruins it. :bang: So all more credit to you for your excellent shots this week.

The red soldier beetles made me smile - and the little black beetle totally oblivious to the sex romp going on so close by! :D

The yellow tail moth (I'll believe you about the yellow tail!! ;) ) - I think it deserves a place in your set. Yes, it could be a little sharper - but I can imagine how difficult it is to photograph and I'm quite certain I wouldn't have got anything nearly as good as this. And handheld, too. A huge well done from me on getting such a cutie.

The colours in the hazelnuts are really beautiful - I'd want to have this printed and framed.

The perfect summer day definitely fits its caption, Jenny. imo you've achieved what you set out to capture - a quintessentially English view. And you've done it beautifully - as always.

Your Part 2 is off to a cracking good start - a huge (y) from me. :)

Interesting observations about lenses, Jenny. I go through similar dilemmas and changing lenses is far too slow with this type of photography. I sometimes fantasise about the 'perfect' lens - sad, isn't it. :LOL:

Jean

Jean, many thanks for your very detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. Sometimes I look at my photos and just cannot make up my mind about them. Other people's opinions really help.

The lens dilemma is, I guess, just lack of experience. The more I try different things, the more I will get to know which lens to use. I could really do with another camera body, too, because I am constantly changing the lenses. It annoys me when I am on my hands and knees in the mud photographing a flower with the macro lens and a buzzard flies over to see what I am doing :(

Some fantastic shots again. The butterflies are all gorgeous and I particularly like the swallow-tailed moth and the yellow-tailed moth. I find it really difficult photographing them as they flit about so quickly, and if they do stay on a flower for a few moments it is usually blowing in the wind.

The wild onion is intriguing and your picture works really well. One of the reasons I enjoy your thread so much is that it opens my eyes to things that I have never noticed.

The grasshopper reminds me so much of a teacher I had at school. You know the sort - elderly and thin, wore clothes in just those colours and used to fix us with a beady eye :LOL:.

LOL, Tracer, I know just what you mean about the teacher - with leather patches on the elbows of his jacket!

I am pleased you like my subject matter. I had not noticed half of these things until I really started looking. Nature produces some really weird and wonderful things.

Thanks for your comments.

This might seem lazy but Jean has said just about everything I would.

The only thing she missed out was well done for managing to get any shots at all of the grasshopper because if they are anything like the ones out here they don't hang about very long.

And I definitely think you were too hard on yourself about wk 27 as I would be proudto have produced any of them

Thanks, Jill. Your comments are really appreciated. I am really very frustrated that there is so much to learn with this photography stuff. I have printed some of my images and frankly, some are really disappointing. There is a big difference between images for the screen and images for print. I wish I could understand how to produce good printed images.

Jenny, I can't believe that you were disappointed in week 27. Those are absolutely gorgeous shots.

We seem to have had so few butterflies here this year that it's a pleasure to see them - and each of them is a lovely shot in its own right.
My favourite of the bunch is the large white. I love the way that it's posed on the Lavender head and great detail in it.

And I fail to see anything boring about your grasshopper. Absolutely love this one.

I sympathise with the weather conditions in week 28. I was out on Sunday continuing my mission for a bee in flight - and that lavender was blowing all over the place.

The Yellowtail moth is definitely deserving of a place here IMO. It's such a bizarre looking thing.
I can imagine that it was a nightmare to photograph - all that white fluff :LOL: - but I think you've done remarkably well.

It's the hazelnuts that stand out for me though. Crisp, sharp shot with beautiful colours. I wouldn't even have noticed the nibbled leaves if you hadn't pointed them out.

Thanks, Sarah. I am surprised you have not had many butterflies. This has been an amazing year for them here. I don't recall ever seeing so many. The weather has been hotter and drier this summer than it has for several years and I guess the butterflies just love it.

You are definitely getting somewhere with your bee shots and have already surpassed my bee in flight efforts so far. I have a bee image among this week's shots but nothing very special. There are plenty around so I will also keep trying.

LOL, I cloned the brown bits off the nibbled leaves. Glad you did not notice.

Hi Jenny - I think all the shots this week are good, but there's something I can't put finger on - none of the quite grab my interest.

I think that sometimes close-up shots look like they are accurately recording the subject matter, and sometimes compositionally draw you in. These shots are all good, but don't quite draw me in. I imagined that the black beetle in the first didn't know where to look and that made me smile!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. You are probably right. I seem to be producing "record" shots rather than concentrating on creative photographs. Photographing wildlife and nature can be very frustrating - you see something really interesting but cannot just pick it up and put it in an interesting location with perfect lighting. I must plan my photos more carefully.

Another good set there Jenny. It's a tough one for me... I'm intrigued by the yellow tail moth, that's one furry moth... and the hazelnuts...

Thank, John. I love yellowtails. I photographed one through the window once capturing its face and underside. It looked like something from another planet. Someone commented that it looked like a deranged furby which was a very apt description!

Jenny

Last edited:
Jenny
They are a lovely collection of shots. The grasshopper is great. You did well to get him so well focused before he hopped off.The fluffy moth is really cute. You have such a lovely selection of butterflies in your garden and you have captured them beautifully.Well done.
Sue

Some really stunning images here.

I would like the comment on the photo "a perfect summers day" I think it would good it you made a bigger feature of those roses buy moving closer to them. Possably using them as a "Frame" for the landscape.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Jenny
They are a lovely collection of shots. The grasshopper is great. You did well to get him so well focused before he hopped off.The fluffy moth is really cute. You have such a lovely selection of butterflies in your garden and you have captured them beautifully.Well done.
Sue

Thanks, Sue. Your comments are much appreciated. I think the grasshopper was confused about where he was, having found himself in our conservatory. He must have jumped in through the roof vent!

Jenny

Some really stunning images here.

I would like the comment on the photo "a perfect summers day" I think it would good it you made a bigger feature of those roses buy moving closer to them. Possably using them as a "Frame" for the landscape.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Stuart, I really appreciate any suggestions to improve my photos. That is why I am doing the 52. I don't really know how to do landscapes but I am currently reading a book about it. The idea was to capture the blue sky and landscape with the roses just included to add a bit of colour. I will now do a rethink to see how I could make a bigger feature of the roses.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Jenny

I have a real mixed bag this week. The weather has been very changeable making it difficult to concentrate on the insects which are in abundance at the moment.

I don't know if you recall a very blurred shot that I posted a couple of months ago of Mr GW having his wicked way with Mrs GW. Well, I thought I would let you know that they succesfully raised their family and a teenaged GW has been hanging round on the lawn this week with his Dad. I did not manage to get a shot of both of them together but I did manage this one. I think it is interesting to see how speckled they are when they are young. They lose all those speckles as adults.

Img_5174b.jpg

The next one is for Sarah. I have been watching your progress with the bee photos. You are way ahead of me capturing bees in flight, and this is the best bee shot that I have managed so far :bang:

Img_4173b.jpg

This week there have been lots of dragonflies swooping around the garden. Now these are really frustrating to photograph. Firstly, they are impossible to photograph in flight. They just move too quickly. Secondly they hardly ever land. So, when I spotted this one, I took the opportunity. Not a great shot. I had to take it handheld balancing on a step ladder. It would have been better to get the greenery more OOF. However, if I had used less DOF the wings would have disappeared. I thought it was really important to see the wings.

I am not a dragonfly expert but I am pretty sure this is a Migrant Hawker. If anyone can confirm, I would be grateful.

Img_5463b.jpg

Again there have been masses of butterflies. I have selected just one to post this week. I would have preferred slightly less distraction in the background but you cannot really choose where they are going to land.

Img_4838b.jpg

Next is an ugly little flower considering it is one of the orchid family. This is a Violet Helleborine. They grow wild in our garden. The tiny little flowers (about 1 cm diameter) grow up and around a vertical stem. The interesting thing about this plant is that it contains no chlorophyll, the stuff that makes plants green, and which absorbs sunlight to feed the plant. The leaves are actually purple.

I found it very difficult to get the DOF correct and settled on this photo which just gets one of the little flowers in focus. Not sure if it works.

Img_5097b.jpg

Finally, one I am fairly happy with. I have been wanting to snap one of these for several weeks but it has just been too windy. I took the opportunity when the wind dropped the other evening.

Img_5022b.jpg

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Jenny

Last edited:
My favourites this week are the dragonfly, the peacock butterfly and the beech nut. I find outdoor macros really difficult because whenever the light is good it seems to be windy - never mind the problems of actually catching fast-flying beasties in the frame!

The butterfly is lovely but don't you think you should tell it not to sit on a pink flower? It really doesn't go. :D

The dragonfly is outstanding and the OOF is OOF enough for me - it is good to see a bit more of the habitat. The stepladder act sound dangerous though so I hope you are careful.:nono:. Think how silly you'd feel explaining a broken leg to your doctor :LOL:.

Wow Jenny! Great set of shots! With exception of the Helleborine I think the shots are all really eye catching & some stunning colours - especially the peacock!

The Helleborine is just a bit of a static composition I think - nothing wrong with it per-se, but doesn't shine amongst the other gems!

Phil

Well done on that GW Jenny, it looks like it was in close... they are very twitchy around here and the slightest sign of anything and they're off.

The Dragonfly works very well, I think you were right about getting the wings in and not having them partially vanish in oof blur.

And lovely strong colours on the Butterfly.

I don't know about me being ahead of you on the bees, that one looks pretty good to me. Focus spot on and he's perfectly sharp.
It seems odd to me too that we have so few butterflies this year :shrug:. Bees and Hoverflies in abundance though, so there's plenty for me to keep practicing on.

The stand out shot for me this week is your dragonfly though.
Absolutely stunning and nothing I can fault with it. Just sorry that I can't help with the i.d.

My favourites this week are the dragonfly, the peacock butterfly and the beech nut. I find outdoor macros really difficult because whenever the light is good it seems to be windy - never mind the problems of actually catching fast-flying beasties in the frame!

The butterfly is lovely but don't you think you should tell it not to sit on a pink flower? It really doesn't go. :D

The dragonfly is outstanding and the OOF is OOF enough for me - it is good to see a bit more of the habitat. The stepladder act sound dangerous though so I hope you are careful.:nono:. Think how silly you'd feel explaining a broken leg to your doctor :LOL:.

Thanks, Tracer. Yes, photographing plants outdoors is very frustrating when it is windy. I waited days to get the beechnut shot.

LOL, the peacock really clashes with the Buddleia, doesn't it?

I will also be careful on the step ladder! Wildlife photography is not without its hazards. I have fallen down a few rabbit holes in the past.

Wow Jenny! Great set of shots! With exception of the Helleborine I think the shots are all really eye catching & some stunning colours - especially the peacock!

The Helleborine is just a bit of a static composition I think - nothing wrong with it per-se, but doesn't shine amongst the other gems!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. That is praise indeed!

Well done on that GW Jenny, it looks like it was in close... they are very twitchy around here and the slightest sign of anything and they're off.

The Dragonfly works very well, I think you were right about getting the wings in and not having them partially vanish in oof blur.

And lovely strong colours on the Butterfly.

Thanks, John. Yes, the GWs are always very nervous. It was on the edge of the patio and this shot was taken through the patio doors.

I don't know about me being ahead of you on the bees, that one looks pretty good to me. Focus spot on and he's perfectly sharp.
It seems odd to me too that we have so few butterflies this year :shrug:. Bees and Hoverflies in abundance though, so there's plenty for me to keep practicing on.

The stand out shot for me this week is your dragonfly though.
Absolutely stunning and nothing I can fault with it. Just sorry that I can't help with the i.d.

Thanks, Sarah. With a long thin body and wide wings, it is quite difficult to get the whole dragonfly into the shot. I was rather pleased with the angle of this one.

Jenny

Another week when I am not satisfied with most of my shots. However, I did manage to try something a little different with one of them. That's what I want to get out of this 52 - trying new things and hopefully learn some new techniques.

Since I first posted the shots for this week, I have changed my mind and posted a couple that I think are marginally better than those posted first time round. So, I removed my original first shot which was rubbish and here is the replacement. Apparently edible fungi, if you want to shin 30 feet up the tree to collect them.

Img_6150b.jpg

I am not completely happy with the next one, but I was limited because they were the only Woody Nightshade berries that I could find. I do like the colours, though.

Img_6125b.jpg

Another one I am not sure about. The light could have been better. Maybe I should reshoot.

Img_5871b.jpg

I have tried so many times to get a decent shot of the Common Blue, but they are very shy. I think they are exquisite little butterflies but the yellow in this shot is a bit overpowering.

Img_5786b.jpg

Finally, one that I am happy with (maybe I should have stuck to posting just this one?). When I looked closely I noticed that the Cotoneaster had ants crawling all over it and thought they really added something to the photo. There is a fly too.

Img_5612b.jpg

On closer inspection, I noticed that it was also covered with blackfly and the ants were crawling all over them. I thought at first that they were attacking the blackfly, but have since researched it and found that blackfly, aphids, excrete a sugary fluid. It is this fluid that the ants are feeding on. In fact, the ants "farm" the aphids for that very purpose and protect the aphids from other predators! What an incredible world is going on around us in miniature.

So, I decided I needed to get closer. OH bought me a Raynox for my birthday and I have not had much success with it. However, today's efforts with it were my best so far. So, not brilliant but my first foray into really tiny stuff.

Img_5913b.jpg

Actually, these ant shots have been driving me crazy. I have not stopped scratching since taking the shots. These little creatures really make me itch!

As usual, C & C very welcome.

Jenny

Last edited:
Wow Jenny, I disappear for a few months and come back to find you're still taking one cracking image after another. The ants and aphids image above is just stunning. I'd almost forgotten what I was missing :clap:

not seen this thread before - crikey it's good
a lot of your "not very happy with" shots are pretty darned good
some really excellent stuff in there

I might have to bookmark you for another visit if that's ok?

Wow Jenny, I disappear for a few months and come back to find you're still taking one cracking image after another. The ants and aphids image above is just stunning. I'd almost forgotten what I was missing :clap:

Hi Darren, good to see you back. So many people seem to have dropped out of the 52 this year. It is a pity.

Many thanks for the comments. I am still itching just thinking about that ant/aphid shot :eek:

Jenny

not seen this thread before - crikey it's good
a lot of your "not very happy with" shots are pretty darned good
some really excellent stuff in there

I might have to bookmark you for another visit if that's ok?

Hi Mike, thanks for dropping in. Glad you like my shots. Feel free to bookmark my thread and I would welcome any crit or suggestions. The idea was to try to improve during the year and I am gradually learning new things.

Jenny

Hi Jenny

It's almost worth missing a week of your 52 just for the pleasure of catching up with all your gorgeous images. :)

Week 29:

Woody Junior - well spotted! ; He's looks a little nervous and ready to go dashing back to Dad at any second, but you've got great detail in the shot - I never realised they were so spotty as teenagers. :D

This bee looks pretty dammed good to me - well caught. Looking at this and Sarah's bees/lavender shots make me realise I need to replant Lavender in our garden - I had to dig it up when we had an extension built last year - and I've missed all the insect activity it generates. Very nice shot indeed. (y)

Dragon fly: I can't help with the ID, but I love the shot. I've never tried photographing such difficult creatures, so I really do take my hat off to you for this one. The detail and clarity in the wings are amazing - well done. :clap:

Peacock butterfly: Beautiful - and I agree the pink isn't the best colour, but what the hell! Another top shot. :)

Violet Helleborine: You've managed to get excellent detail on this very tiny flower. It isn't doing it for me in the same way as your other shots, and I'm not sure why. I can't decide where to look and I wonder if a square crop to just the centre flower would help? It may be, of course, that that's one crop too far for such a wee plant. Interesting botanically, though.

Beech nut: I don't want to rain on your parade, and it might be my eyes, but this looks just slightly soft to me. I'll have another look in the morning when I'm less tired. :)

Week 30:

Chicken of the Woods: That's very eye-catching, and edible it may be, but I don't fancy climbing up there to get it! I remember seeing a very similar looking fungus last autumn - high up on a tree, but pure white. You've done a good jogb at what must have been a difficult angle. :)

Red is for Danger: I like the colours too, and the detail is beautiful.

Heather: I like the light on this one, Jenny. The little tiny bells look almost transparaent in the light and this contrasts very well with the darker tips of the bells. Lovely bokeh, too. (y)

Common Blue: It seems odd that a dainty little butterfly like this is attracted to such a brash, in-you-face flower - a bit like the Peacock last week being colour blind! You've captured it beautifully though, and there's good detailed colour in its little furry body. :)

Cotoneaster: What a pretty variety - lovely colours. Yes, I agree the ants do add interest to the overall picture, but the flower spike would also stand alone, minus its visitors. I have a friend who is convinced that this plant is called 'Cotton Easter', which always makes me smile. :)

Ants and aphids: Wow - that ant is really towering over the aphids. It looks as though it could conquer the whole world! The detail is terrific, Jenny. You're certainly getting the hang of that Raynox. I've never used one, but I've heard lots of poeple say they are really difficult! Well done - you must be very pleased with this result. :clap:

btw - I can hardly type this for scratching now - that's taking realism in photos one step too far. :LOL:

Jean

Very good Jenny ;)

The fungi doesn't really do much for me as is... I can see there's possibilities there, but I can't think how you'd manage them, given that's up a tree.

Really like the buries good strong colour and nicely composed.

The Heather looks interesting... but... it's good enough, but seems lacking in something... I can't think what... maybe get in a bit closer and more abstract

The Common Blue does look rather good, but as you say, a little swamped by the flower.. Perhaps a little closer again... although I can see how closer could be hard...

Nice spot on the cotoneaster with the ants... and ... well done with the Raynox on the aphid farm, it's a tricky beastie to use.. That's my fave.

Hi Jenny

This bee looks pretty dammed good to me - well caught. Looking at this and Sarah's bees/lavender shots make me realise I need to replant Lavender in our garden - I had to dig it up when we had an extension built last year - and I've missed all the insect activity it generates. Very nice shot indeed. (y)

Week 30:

Chicken of the Woods: That's very eye-catching, and edible it may be, but I don't fancy climbing up there to get it! I remember seeing a very similar looking fungus last autumn - high up on a tree, but pure white. You've done a good jogb at what must have been a difficult angle. :)

Ants and aphids: Wow - that ant is really towering over the aphids. It looks as though it could conquer the whole world! The detail is terrific, Jenny. You're certainly getting the hang of that Raynox. I've never used one, but I've heard lots of poeple say they are really difficult! Well done - you must be very pleased with this result. :clap:

btw - I can hardly type this for scratching now - that's taking realism in photos one step too far. :LOL:

Jean

Jean, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on all my photos. It is so good to get feedback - good or bad.

Definitely you need to replant some lavender. They attract so much wildlife. There is an added plus for me in that the deer don't eat it.

The fungus you saw up the tree was almost certainly some kind of Polypore. They are often white underneath. Chicken in the Woods is usually yellow.

I hope you have now stopped scratching from looking at the ants. It took me several days! I would really like an MP/E 65 to get really "up close and personal" but sadly cannot afford it, so the raynox will have to do for now :(

Jenny

Very good Jenny ;)

The fungi doesn't really do much for me as is... I can see there's possibilities there, but I can't think how you'd manage them, given that's up a tree.

Really like the buries good strong colour and nicely composed.

The Heather looks interesting... but... it's good enough, but seems lacking in something... I can't think what... maybe get in a bit closer and more abstract

The Common Blue does look rather good, but as you say, a little swamped by the flower.. Perhaps a little closer again... although I can see how closer could be hard...

Nice spot on the cotoneaster with the ants... and ... well done with the Raynox on the aphid farm, it's a tricky beastie to use.. That's my fave.

John, many thanks for this feedback. Getting close to the Common Blue is tricky. He is more nervous than all the other butterflies, not to mention smaller!

Glad you liked the ants. I must get some more practise with the Raynox. I find the macro world really fascinating.

Jenny

Chicken of the woods.... yum :)

I keep staring at our mushroom plugs almost willing them to start sprouting mycelium, but then I don't know much :) Apparently it's all going on under the bark. I'm thinking next year, I'll do a 52 of "my mushrooms growing". For at least 51 weeks I can recycle the same shot :)

Not had a lot of photography time recently, and am cherry picking other 52s to look at. This was the 1st thread I've come back to, because I think it's a wonderful idea, and whilst I've been staring at computer screens and the wall, the weeks (and seasons) have been marching on.

Keep it up. A lovely collection of photographs.

Ian.

Chicken of the woods.... yum :)

I keep staring at our mushroom plugs almost willing them to start sprouting mycelium, but then I don't know much :) Apparently it's all going on under the bark. I'm thinking next year, I'll do a 52 of "my mushrooms growing". For at least 51 weeks I can recycle the same shot :)

Not had a lot of photography time recently, and am cherry picking other 52s to look at. This was the 1st thread I've come back to, because I think it's a wonderful idea, and whilst I've been staring at computer screens and the wall, the weeks (and seasons) have been marching on.

Keep it up. A lovely collection of photographs.

Ian.

Hi Ian, great to see you back :wave: Too many people have dropped out of the 52s this year. Very much looking forward to you getting your camera back in your hands again and restarting your 52.

Jenny

Another strange week. The weather has been rather changeable and the light and wind conditions have not been the best for photography. However, the 52 must go on and I have a couple of marmite shots this week.

Firstly, the rain has brought out the fungi and it is not often that I find a specimen as pristine as this one. I think it must have just popped out of the ground. Normally, the slugs get them very quickly. Although not a brilliant photo, I thought the fairy's eye view was a bit different. Also, this is a bolete which is a mushroom with pores instead of gills. I think this photo shows that very well. In addition, look at the lawn. You can see how dry it has been because the grass is almost completely brown in spite of the recent rain.

Img_6300b.jpg

Next, a conker. Not a brilliant shot. The light could have been better but I love the little squiggly thing sticking out the bottom.

Img_6146b.jpg

The next is one of the marmite shots. I like this one. I tried making the background black to stand out more, but it looked better with the natural background. It was rather windy the day I took this one, so I was rather lucky.

We planted this tree about 20 years ago after we lost half a dozen large trees in the hurricane. At the time, I knew very little about wildlife gardening. Now I really regret planting it. Although it is a beautiful specimen tree, it is a non-native species. It therefore attracts no native wildlife which is rather sad. You will never see the leaves nibbled or the tree playing host to any insects. I think the photo proves that. By this time of year, the leaves of most deciduous trees are very nibbled. All the leaves on this tree are in pristine condition.

Img_6430d.jpg

I have been wanting to try some shots of the Montbretia this week, but they have proved very difficult to photograph. So many of them are a bit moth-eaten and when I found a decent one, it is very difficult to get the DOF right. I have also had to tone back the saturation because the natural colour needed sunglasses to look at it with a black background. Not particularly happy with this one.

Img_6455d.jpg

Finally, an abstract - a complete marmite shot, but I happen to like it. Feel free to shoot it down in flames, if you like. Get the sunglasses out. I did not alter the colour of this one at all. It is just as it came out of the camera. Interesting thing - it is another (different) bolete to the one at the top of this post. It has a brown cap and red pores underneath. You are looking at it upside down with the stalk in the top right. It smelled horrible.

Img_6289b.jpg

All very colourful this week. As usual suggestions are very welcome (even if you say I should bin them).

Jenny

Given how wet it's been I think you've done well to get anything at all.
I'm really hoping that the weather picks up. I've got some time off work from 16th August and would love the chance to get out in the garden with the camera . . . this rain's been making it impossible.

Love the Boletus shot. Absolutely perfect and some fantastic detail. In fact the parched grass actually makes a really pleasing backdrop against it.
I also really like the Plane leaf. Not sure why you thought this one would be a bit Marmite because as far as I can see there's nothing not to like about it.
Clean, crisp and great detail around the edge of the leaf - I think it's beautiful.
These two are definitely the pick of the set for me.

Although I really like black b/g shots the Montbretia doesn't quite work for me this week. I don't know if it's a result of the PP but there doesn't seem to be quite enough definition in the petals.
It's a shame because the shape and colour really lend themselves to a black b/g. Was this shot on the plant or did you cut it and bring it indoors?

Of the other two, the Conker is well shot, but doesn't really excite me very much. I do like the abstract though.
Not sure that it quite works at this image size, but I could see this blown up large on a modern canvas . . . in fact that would go very well in my kitchen!

(y)More cracking shots Jenny, i particularly like the conker shot, beautifully exposed and sharp. The detail is tremendous and i like the contrasting greens in the whole picture.

tBoth Boletus are cracking shots too, again you have wonderful detail in the images.:clap::clap::clap:

Back