cost of sensor cleaning

Name
mick
Edit My Images
No
Was quoted £35 to clean the sensor on my my Canon 550D yesterday by Wilkinson cameras in Burnley.

Is this about average? and is anyone else very unreceptive to the idea of DIY cleaning given the cost of replacing said camera should cack handiness come into play or am I just being overcautious?

I got quoted £30ish for a 3 day service by LCE in Nottingham just before Christmas, or £50 same day service.

I ended up just cleaning it myself, be careful and go slowly and you shouldnt have a problem.

I'm not sure about having cleaned as I have always done it myself.

I have used two methods with great success, the first was a wet method. The pec pad and cleaning solution from wex. This works well but make sure you get the solution that works with canon. Only two to choose and it clearly says which one on the product page.

Secondly an less risky was the dust aid kit. This uses a silicon foam pad on a wand to left the dirt from the sensor and is then cleaned on what can best be described as a price of low tack Sellotape which is supplied.

The first is quite expensive for what it is but you will get several cleans out of it. The second not so expensive but only good for dust which most of the time that's all it is on there. Sometimes you can get oil spots from the mirror/shutter mechanism.

I would supply links but I'm on my phone so difficult.

Dan.

£35 sounds about right.

But I bought my own wet-cleaning kit and do it myself, the Delkin kit with the illuminated loupe so I can see how bad it is before I start and I can see whether or not I've got it clean without having to power-up and take a test shot.

Self cleaning all the way for me. Rocket blower 1st, then pec pads/eclipse solution and a cut up credit card. I think it's known as the 'copper hill' method if you want to search.

I also do my own and having a " Loupe " to examime the sensor is a great help, you can see any dirt so much easier with it.

for light dust I use a Artic Butterfly and if bad "wet" clean. I woulnd't recommend a rocket blower as it can disturb dust thats settled elsewhere within the camera body. Which ever way sensor cleaning is done a "clean " environment is best. I find the kitchen is the best place, no carpets so less airborn speck to contaminate.

Realspeed

Last edited:
It is a bit daunting to clean the sensor yourself but it is not that hard. If you pay £35 a clean and have it cleaned 10 times you have paid out £350 !

I followed this tutorial by RobertP and found it a lot easier than I thought.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9766

I have not got the steadiest of hands and I can't see in 3D so it was hard to see when the pad touched the sensor, if I can do it then most people should not have a problem :)

It is a bit daunting to clean the sensor yourself but it is not that hard. If you pay £35 a clean and have it cleaned 10 times you have paid out £350 !

I followed this tutorial by RobertP and found it a lot easier than I thought.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9766

I have not got the steadiest of hands and I can't see in 3D so it was hard to see when the pad touched the sensor, if I can do it then most people should not have a problem :)

On the other hand, if you clean it once and make a total Cameron of it, you're out the cost of a new camera...

I find need sensors cleaning about once a year on average, and use a blower brush between times to get rid of loose stuff. (Do NOT use canned air for this as the propellant can damage the sensor, and do not use your own breath as it's full of water and possibly other nasty substances)

£35 is about right - and worth it for peace of mind for me.

I think it depends on how you would assess your own level of competence and ability, owing a D7000 i'm kinda used to cleaning the sensor now :) use the sensor swabs and eclipse fluid method, takes about 5 minutes.

Arctic Butterfly, been using it for yonks, blower caused probs on my 7D.
Mirror lock up, suck out the dust with a Dyson tube, works great especially after using my Canon 100-400mm dust pump,
Jim

SteveH40 said:
I think it depends on how you would assess your own level of competence and ability, owing a D7000 i'm kinda used to cleaning the sensor now :) use the sensor swabs and eclipse fluid method, takes about 5 minutes.

I was very dubious the first time I did it. As the consequences can be expensive. However I am now like you and do it quite easily. The biggest danger is I find on the wet clean is scratching the ir filter in front of the sensor. But as long as you either blow or lift any items of larger debris then you don't have a problem with that.

I'm not that confident about risking it on a £975 and a £1425 camera myself. I'm sure I could do it but for peace of mind I'd happily pay the £35 for someone to do it. If there's still any marks showing up afterwards they will do it again to make sure it's clean. I went to a LCE imaging show where they were offering free cleans and took my 7D and the wifes 550D along but luckily there was no dust on them. I've since got a 5D2 and so far I've never suffered from dusty sensors on any of them.

I've never cleaned mine and am wondering if that's because I don't see any dust on my pics, however, I am also very aware that I still feel I'm at a quite amateur level and just because I don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there.

Is there a way to test my sensors dust level so to speak? It's a Canon 400D which has the automatic sensor cleaning every time you turn it off so maybe I've been lucky enough to be careful?

The best way to see dust is to take two shots against a plain white or solid light background at f22 or the like. Slightly move the camera between shots.

Then have a look at the shots and see if there are any dark Gray spots on the image. The second shot will confirm that they are on the sensor if the grey spots are in the same place. The spots will only really appear at a zoomed in level when viewing on the LCD.

They only really show at higher f numbers as lower f numbers ( wider apertures) make them so blurred that you don't see them.

On the other hand, if you clean it once and make a total Cameron of it, you're out the cost of a new camera...

I find need sensors cleaning about once a year on average, and use a blower brush between times to get rid of loose stuff. (Do NOT use canned air for this as the propellant can damage the sensor, and do not use your own breath as it's full of water and possibly other nasty substances)

£35 is about right - and worth it for peace of mind for me.

Cost me £ 1200 when I managed to scratch the sensor. I was totally careful doing it, gentle with the wipe and even blew the swab with a rocket blower before inserting it into the camera. For me, I'd rather spend the £35 and let the shop take the liability. Others' opinions will, obviously, vary.

The best way to see dust is to take two shots against a plain white or solid light background at f22 or the like. Slightly move the camera between shots.

Then have a look at the shots and see if there are any dark Gray spots on the image. The second shot will confirm that they are on the sensor if the grey spots are in the same place. The spots will only really appear at a zoomed in level when viewing on the LCD.

They only really show at higher f numbers as lower f numbers ( wider apertures) make them so blurred that you don't see them.

I find setting the focus so the wall is out of focus means that any blemishes on the wall won't look like dust specs.
Using "Auto levels" in PP can also help to make dust more easy to see.

mr_pants said:
Cost me £ 1200 when I managed to scratch the sensor. I was totally careful doing it, gentle with the wipe and even blew the swab with a rocket blower before inserting it into the camera. For me, I'd rather spend the £35 and let the shop take the liability. Others' opinions will, obviously, vary.

What camera was that? Seems a lot higher than anything I've imagined, even for a 1d3s.

well thanks for all the above...I think initially I will err on the side of caution until I at least feel a little more at ease with the idea of DiY... anyhow I now know how the process goes so a little less mystifying to me

I am very clean when it comes to swapping lenses and try to do it is little as possible keeping the body facedown and end caps on till the last moment, I have only had one problem that the blower couldn't sort due to swapping a lens in less than ideal conditions and I waited till Calumet had their open day where they do free sensor cleaning took both bodies in, my mate had "his" cleaned and I got mine cleaned. You just need to get there as early as you can due to them limiting the number they do. They usualy charge £35 for the service.

Back