Sonial's 52. Quality added

I guess by catching up like this I am sort of missing the point of using this as a challenge, although no.2 was taken today. Anyhow I shall try to do something for the weeks I have missed and then start doing things properly :p This is my not very good 'Chopped'

Nice pics, a wee bit small but vivid with it. Would be nice to see Curves in summer... maybe a boat on the river...

Street I *really* like - colours, viewpoint, dof - love it.

Arthur

Here's a week 5 Speed ..........I took this as my daughter was just standing watching all the others run around like nutters....don't think she quite knew what to make of them :)

That is brilliant - well done! You will treasure this picture for years.

:clap::clap:

You should get your name added to the list of people taking part in the 52's - ask here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 52 Sonia. Some lovely images already to open up with (even the axe which you don't seem keen on). Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with :)

Well done on working on catching up Sonia. It's hard enough to keep up on a week by week basis ;)...

Curves... Love it, the coldness really works well.
Poem... :LOL:, the way you've shot it works well
Chopped... it took me a while to work out what I was looking at, now I've seen it, I like it. An unusual angle, and it's worked very well.
Street... It's good that it's so low. The colours are vivid and strong. I like it.
Speed... That's cool. Well done. She looks like she's looking on in disapproval at the shenanigans in the room. I like it.

:) Many thanks John I should perhaps have mentioned about the poem that it's nothing personal :LOL: It was one my dh hand drew and I thought it might prove amusing!

With regard to chopped, I think that's why I'm not sure about it as the oof part distracts your eye and makes the image less clear.

My daughter can be quite disaproving :LOL: 2 going on 22 methinks!

Hi Sonia,
Lovely image of your daughter and a great shot really capturing the moment :)

Hi there, I think you've made a good start to your 52. I like all your pictures so far, especially Street - I love the low angle and the colours - and Speed is a lovely shot :)

Well done for catching up so quickly!

Present - I had to look quite hard to see the connection but realise this is some historical re-enactment with medieval costumes but a modern watch. :LOL: A great pose - well caught and the sepia works really well

People - was this taken at the same event? A good group and I love the expression of the woman in the middle. Again I like the processing.

Mechanical - well, it looks more electrical to me, but then it is so squashed that it is difficult to tell.... yeah, I'll allow it! Fabulous colours and patterns. :clap:

I'm really looking forward to what you'll do next.

Hi Sonia,

Nice to see people joining as others appear to fall behind.

Favourite of the bunch has to be Speed. Love the composition, love the B&W conversion and I love the fact that there's no way it could be set up, therefore it's down to camera skill to capture the moment like that.

You can relax a bit now you're caught up. Welcome aboard!

Thanks Tracer and Harlequin I'm really glad that people seem to like the speed one as I love it but hadn't had much feedback from f&f.

Tracer... the people one was a different event and a different period English civil war as opposed to 10th c for the present one...... I spend half my summer at these events so they will creep in lol.

Mechanical is more electrical ....however it was squashed recently by something mechanical :LOL: wasn't quite quick enough to catch it but by the rustling in the undergrowth it wasn't far away! :shrug:

Hi Sonia and welcome to the 52s.
I hope you get some inspiration out of it.

And what a brilliant catch up - I can't believe that you've managed to get this many shots in already :notworthy:
Some very good ones too - no fillers that I can see!

I love both of the re-enactment shots - absolutely fascinating and I hope that we do get to see some more.
My favourite of the two is "present" - very clever and brilliantly captured.

Speed is my favourite out of the set so far. Brilliant concept and lovely execution. I absolutely love this one and I'm sure that it's a shot that you'll treasure.

Curves : simple, elegant and a lovely interpretation. My only niggle is that you've just cut off the top (bottom?) of the reflection.

Poem : Lovely aged feel to this one. looks like a real classic piece of writing . . . until you read it :LOL::LOL::LOL: It made me laugh.

Chopped : Interesting perspective and the DoF is a bit disorientating . . . but I mean that in a good way. It makes for an interesting shot.

Street : Not my personal favourite, but a very good choice of perspective and some nice vibrant colours.

I'm a bit confused by "mechanical". Not entirely sure what it is - and your comments about rustling in the undergrowth intrigue me even more.
I like it . . . it's well executed . . . but I'm still confused :thinking:

Hi Sarah, and thanks very much for the welcome :) your c&c is most welcome.

I take your point with curves, was a little restricted with positioning because of the canal bank but I did get this one too....

I think I chose the other one though because I'm not a huge fan of dead center positioning :shrug: :LOL::LOL:

Mechanical is some sort of electrical box from a factory that is being pulled down...it had been crushed by a huge machine that pulled the building down so admittedly a bit of a cheat....the rustling in the undergrowth was just me being silly....sorry I have a strange sense of humour ;)

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment.....am off to look for something for 'Play' now :cautious:

Sonia, all caught up ;)...

Present, that's great. It looks like it ought to be past, but there's sufficient acrhonisms, the haircuts, beards, and the glance at the watch to put paid to that idea. The PP works well too.

People works well, good expressions and PP. Not sure if it wouldn't be better with the man on the left keeping all his arm :D...

Mechanical... I think it's a bit of a stretch to theme, the content looks more electrical, but it's been mechanically squashed so it fits. The colours and debris on the ground and the cable nest work well.

Thanks John :)

Yes you are right with the people shot, unfortunately it was taken on a bridge so I couldn't get in quite the right place and there was a big group of people to the left of the shot. :LOL:

I really like the new mechanical. Brown, brown and more brown. I don't even mind the oof twig/leaf in the front. It just has some lovely browns :)

Hi Sonia,

I like the second shot at Mechanical. Maybe just a tiny sharpen.

Some very good shots there Sonia, especially as you started late.

I really like Speed, your first Present one and especially your second Mechanical photo.

Your Play shot is well done and well within theme but I can't work out the purple shape and what's causing it? :thinking:

Your Play shot is well done and well within theme but I can't work out the purple shape and what's causing it? :thinking:

its another spinning top i would have thought, shallow DOF putting it OOF??

Do like play, its a little grainy and the purple top is slightly distracting, but it fits the theme nicely!

As others have said. The purple top is distracting. Have you got the time to try it again on its own?

It's a really good idea, but the focus point and reflection are blocked by the distraction.

Just my humble opinion!

Ian.

People... ah gotcha... not much could be done then I guess...

Second mechanical, now that's bang on theme (y)

Play... I'm with the others... I don't think the grainy is too much of an issue, the purple is too much in the way and distracting though, sorry.

Nice capture of a spinning top. The purple, as others have said, is a little bit distracting but IMO it is not enough to spoil the shot:)

I like mechanical. It may be worth a black and white conversion to compare.

Play - I'm not much for the purple top. I find it detracts from the picture. Might be worth a reshoot without it? The green top on its own looks like it would make a superb image.

Back