Sonial's 52. Quality added

WOW thanks for all the feedback people :) and yup taken on board....I wanted to try and get the two tops in because I thought it would make it more interesting and alive but yes the purple is distracting, maybe if I had a greater DOF it would have worked better. I will try to reshoot though and also try and get better light quality.

Will also do a b&w conversion on the 2nd mechanical :)

Thanks again guys!

I quite like the contrast between the two colours and the noise/grain adds something to the motion effect of both. Background looks perfect. Nicely done (y)

....the rustling in the undergrowth was just me being silly....sorry I have a strange sense of humour ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: You're in good company here then.
Having been here last year, trust me . . . by week 50 you'll be very grateful for that sense of humour ;)

I absolutely LOVE your retake of mechanical. I'm glad that you posted that because it's so much better than the original. Lovely & sharp and the DoF suits it perfectly.

Now onto "Play".
There's a lot to like with this one. The background is spot on and I love the idea of spinning them on a mirror to give some reflections. The colours are bright and vibrant and really add to the image too.

I'm not sure about the purple top. I can see why you included it, and I really don't mind the fact that it's there and oof . . . the blur is just a bit too much for me though. It makes it just a bit too indistinct and confusing.

Thanks Darren :)

:LOL: Sarah, that's the one thing that keeps me going.....I often give myself cause to laugh...usually at myself :wacky:

Glad you like the 2nd mechanical.....strange really up on a mountain with beautiful views and I'm crouched on my hands and knees in the mud shooting this :LOL:

Thanks for your input on Play, am just about to post a retake...think it is better although not sure I like the background quite as much. Never happy!

OK well here's the B&W conversion on Mechanical, although I love black n white I'm not sure in this case!

And a new version of Play....think this is a little better....... ?

I have to agree with you on mechanical. Black and white doesn't seem to work on this one :thinking:

Play on the other hand is brilliant. Losing the second top has worked a treat (y) Well done.

Just found this for the first time. You have some lovely images, I was going to offer comment on several but in the end am only going to mention 1. The photo of your daughter. That's a magical capture, brilliant stuff, you can feel the emotion coming right out of the screen. I bet it would look brilliant printed and framed.

Keep up the good work :D

Yup - some nice ones here but the first Play for me is the better one - if only because the second oof top adds so much more to the image than it takes away. #2 is OK but it's not *doing* anything is it?

Arthur

Thanks very much James, much appreciated and I'm so pleased that people seem to 'get' the Speed one :)

:LOL: Thanks for that Arthur.........funny how we all see things differently, maybe I shall have to try it again with two! :) also funny how technically better can also be uninspiring.....hehe

Second version of play is much stronger. Just shows a good idea can grow and evolve.

Definitely agree that the 2nd version of play is stronger.

The whole concept is great, I love the reflection and the sense of movement in the images (y) even though I found the very OOF 2nd top in the first shot very distracting. But that is because it is in front of the one in focus, if you want to include a second top then could you try it in the background?

Yep... second is much better (y)

Thanks John :)

Have finally got around to sorting out Chemistry and then nearly spat tea all over the keyboard when I saw this week is Candid...as I took my camera to work last night and got a couple of (I think) quite nice ones :LOL:

anyway here is Chemistry which isn't what I'd hoped to do but ran out of time etc etc....ok cop out over :)

A new version of Chemistry....hopefully better??

Last edited:
and here are a couple of Candid candidates....now the first one looks like a set up portrait but honestly it's not.....I caught him from around the corner stood at the bar...he's the landlord :)...the only thing is is that it maybe doesn't 'look' candid enough to count :LOL:
so will also offer up the second one....

Thats got to be a record for posting a theme up :LOL:

Number one does look like a posed portrait I'm afraid. I believe you when you say it isn't though.

Number two is brilliant. I hope I can get something even close. Not looking forward to this week at all :shake:

Andy

Chemistry - Looks a little dark to me and the DoF is too shallow for this subject. Think it would look a lot better with a smaller aperture and get all of tablets in focus.

Candid - Very sneaky getting these in already :) First is a great portrait of the landlord. No it doesn't look candid but certainly captured him well and the lighting and processing are very good. Excellent image :clap:

Second is certainly more candid in appearance and I like this one too. Good light and colours. Was he watching TV or deciding which short to order?

Thanks both :) I tell you I was so pleased with the first one when I downloaded at 2.30am today, I've been wanting to take my camera into work for a while but have been too scared something might happen to it! Maybe I should take anyone wanting portraits done to stand at the back bar..it's seems the lighting is really good :D

Andy I'm sure you come up with something really good....it's trying to come up with a situation where you wont feel too out of place with a camera......a nice long zoom helps too :D.....although these were both taken with my lovely 50mm.

Thanks Darren....yes you are probably right about the chemistry one...... I'm a bit hooked on the shallow Dof at the moment and also the light was really poor(although have just had a 430ex for my birthday so will hopefully not have such a problem now) Think I had a little apathy with this one too as wasn't what I'd hoped to do.

I think in the second Candid he was thinking which short to order, he certainly wasn't on the ginger beer :)

Sonia, I like the idea behind Chemistry, but the lighting seems to have an odd colour cast to it... not sure there... Not so keen on the last line of tabs... they are all a bit too blurred out, otherwise, I like it.

Candid.. The first one doesn't scream candid, it looks a bit posed, but I'm sure it's not. The second is a far better candid shot (hark at me... :D like I know what I'm talking about :lol)... I think the scene is set really well there (y)

Your second chemistry is the one that gets my vote :).
Both candid shots are really good but the second one has that something extra :clap: and another :clap: for getting your candid one sorted so quickly I'm still in a flap about it :LOL:

Sonia, I can't believe I have missed your thread for so long. What a great set of images and congratulations on catching up so quickly.

I love the second mechanical - the coloured version. I just love the colours.

I also prefer the second Play image.

Chemistry - I prefer the DOF of the second, but the colours of the first.

Candid - both really nice shots, but the second is definitely more candid.

Well done with all of them.

Jenny

The second candid shot is blinder - well done!

Phil

The more candid shots I see the more despondent I get. They're all so much better than I can hope to get and the second is a corker.

Mike

Chemistry - a good concept and I like the reflections but would prefer more DOF to keep all the pills in focus.

Candid - great shots, both of them. The landlord looks very benign and the lighting suits the subject perfectly. I absolutely love the expression in the second. :LOL::LOL: This definitely says 'candid' and you have caught the atmosphere really well. :clap:

Play - love the second one, colours are great

Chemistry - nice simple idea, the second one works better for me

Candid - much prefer the second one for the reasons you said - and it's a cracking expression on his face. Really well done.

Sonia, Yep, second chemistry is much better, I do like the blue tabs though :D...

Your 2nd shot for Candid is really good - makes me wonder what the guy was thinking at that moment in time? I'm a sucker for pictures that tell a story making me want to find out more. The only thing I would have done differently to the image is strighten it up a tiny bit and also may be try and mono conversion to compare against the colour version?

Hi Sonia !

Two weeks comments for me. you were just too quick getting candid in this week . . . I try not to look at anyone else's shots until mine's in :LOL:

I'm almost glad that I waited though, because now I get to see your edits. The second chemistry shot is definitely far better. That far row of tablets in the first one just looked a bit odd.
Out of interest are they the same tablets? I'm wondering if you PP'd the blue in the first version.

Candid. This is going to be a recurring comment from me this week I'm afraid.
My heart sank when the theme was drawn, because candid photography just doesn't appeal to me at all. For that reason. I'm going to have to say that I prefer your first shot by far. Although it was a candid shot, it almost has that posed look to it and that appeals far more to me than a more obvious candid interpretation (y)

Had a look at your pictures! Some nice ones in there. I particularly like Play and the second Candid shot.

As for chemistry, when it comes to colouring, I prefer the first version, which has more of a "chemical" look to it, but I d find teh DOF in that one a bit distracting. And that is nicer to look at in the second one.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents ;)

Some cracking stuff here. Particularly your second 'candid'. I think if I was drinking ginger beer I'd be pretty miserable too. Great focus amongst the crowded scene, and really rich colours. My kinda piccy! (y)

Sonia, I can't believe I have missed your thread for so long. What a great set of images and congratulations on catching up so quickly.
Jenny

Thanks very much Jenny, have been a bit rubbish on keeping up with things this week! :nuts:

The second candid shot is blinder - well done!
Phil

Thanks Phil...was one of thos lucky shots.

The more candid shots I see the more despondent I get. They're all so much better than I can hope to get and the second is a corker.
Mike

Thank you Mike....I do love candids but sometimes it is hard to be brave enough to get the camera out and start snapping people.....I think I'm developing a thicker skin as time goes on :LOL:

Chemistry - a good concept and I like the reflections but would prefer more DOF to keep all the pills in focus.

Candid - great shots, both of them. The landlord looks very benign and the lighting suits the subject perfectly. I absolutely love the expression in the second. This definitely says 'candid' and you have caught the atmosphere really well.

Many thanks Tracer, yes I think I may have got too much into the shallow dof bug and for the chemistry shot it would have been better to have it a little deeper.

Play - love the second one, colours are great

Chemistry - nice simple idea, the second one works better for me

Candid - much prefer the second one for the reasons you said - and it's a cracking expression on his face. Really well done.

Thanks Dave

Sonia, Yep, second chemistry is much better, I do like the blue tabs though :D...

:LOL::p

Your 2nd shot for Candid is really good - makes me wonder what the guy was thinking at that moment in time? I'm a sucker for pictures that tell a story making me want to find out more. The only thing I would have done differently to the image is strighten it up a tiny bit and also may be try and mono conversion to compare against the colour version?

Thank you...there is a story too, this gentleman has many war stories to tell, he is a very interesting character, which is one reason I'm so glad to have got a shot like this of him. Have straightened and mono'd...what do you think?

Hi Sonia !

Two weeks comments for me. you were just too quick getting candid in this week . . . I try not to look at anyone else's shots until mine's in :LOL:

I'm almost glad that I waited though, because now I get to see your edits. The second chemistry shot is definitely far better. That far row of tablets in the first one just looked a bit odd.
Out of interest are they the same tablets? I'm wondering if you PP'd the blue in the first version.

Candid. This is going to be a recurring comment from me this week I'm afraid.
My heart sank when the theme was drawn, because candid photography just doesn't appeal to me at all. For that reason. I'm going to have to say that I prefer your first shot by far. Although it was a candid shot, it almost has that posed look to it and that appeals far more to me than a more obvious candid interpretation

Thanks very much Sarah...great comments as always :) yes they are the same tablets in the chemistry shot....

:LOL: I see you got around Candid :LOL: It's funny I've always been very much 'into' nature and animals...I still am, but when it comes to photography I'm finding more and more that I love taking 'people' shots....candid or posed......strange old world!

Had a look at your pictures! Some nice ones in there. I particularly like Play and the second Candid shot.

As for chemistry, when it comes to colouring, I prefer the first version, which has more of a "chemical" look to it, but I d find teh DOF in that one a bit distracting. And that is nicer to look at in the second one.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents

Thank you :) I couldn't decide when I redid chemistry whether to make it the natural colour or the blue...looks like I should have done the blue :LOL:

Some cracking stuff here. Particularly your second 'candid'. I think if I was drinking ginger beer I'd be pretty miserable too. Great focus amongst the crowded scene, and really rich colours. My kinda piccy!

Thanks....I didn't actually think the ginger beer was his but since then I have learnt it was....believe me though he more than made up for it later with whisky and wine :D ...and thanks again!

Back