HeWhoKnows Project 52 (2011) - Week 10 added - TRIO

Great idea. I like the colour better but I'm finding it a little too saturated for my liking.

After looking at it on a different monitor i tend to agree with the saturation Mike. Have done a bit more PP on it and reduced the saturation slightly and think its much better now.

I like the idea and I prefer the color one! I agree to previous comments about the saturation. Also I would have preferred if the stamps on the eggs were hidden and also if you have spread a bit of egg white on the board for better realism.

Ha, similar to my theme for week 1

Good job, though I think the position you've put the toy chick in makes it look a little, er.. dead.

lol, yeah it does doesnt....ooppps!! Its just tired from breaking through the shell :naughty:
Also have reduced saturation a fair bit ;)

Accommodation - loveley texture of the wood. Nice composition. The only niggle I have is that the texture of the black background is a little distracting.

New - I like this. Well exposed (or should that be eggsposed:D ) I have to agree on the placement of the chick though.The top most egg could do with a clean up as well. It is surprising how much detail is shown when you view an image close up. The background on this shot is nice and black.

Andy

The colour one is my fave out of the two for the New theme. Didn't see the image before your edit but what's there now looks good, well done (y)

This weeks theme had me head scratching for days. The idea i came up with isnt the most inspiring and wish I had a few more days on it but tried to give it a slight twist.

Week 3 - Style
This is a shot of my (currently unwell) wife doing her best to pose in her new stylish sunglasses.

Shot with my D90, my nifty fifty and low flash.

Done this in 2 versions, colour and B&W.

Project 52, week 3 - Style (colour) by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Project 52, week 3 - Style (mono) by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

C&C very much welcomed.

Bit of photoshop really, quite simple. Selected the area inside the glasses with the magnetic lasso tool and copied it to a new layer. Imported the image i wanted to use as the reflection onto another layer and positioned it where required. Then created a clipping mask of the image into the lens selection area.

Bobs your uncle ;)

Wow, 3 photographs and I like all of them, especially #2 really made me smile.

I like #3, nice idea and I like the pp, if done, in the reflection.

I prefer colour in all of them.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, thanks for the comments and glad you like the shots. Am really loving this project, cant wait for week 4 to be announced :)

Last edited:
A really "stylish" take on week 3. The refection in the lens is super. Could you possible post the link to this technique, as photoshop is something i trying to come to grips with,

(y)

Really liking your week 3 shot. Very clever use of PP in the sunglasses reflection and excellent composition. It just goes to show that a portrait style shot does not have to be a whole face. One style to add to my list of things to do.

I love the final image for your style shot... The PP whilst not extreme is something I wouldn't do... but it's partly because I dont have the skill or the patients to learn... and partly because I only try to do with PP what I used to do in the darkroom. But that's me... and im not saying for a min I dont like the image... It's fab! Colour one is def best though... almost expect it to be an oakley advert!

Loved your week 1 and two shots too!

Thanks for your comments guys. In hinde sight i possibly would have chose a different image to put into the sunglasses, probably a more believable reflection as opposed to a photoshopped image of me??

I like your week 3 image, especially the b&w version - it almost looks like your reflection is a 'pop art' image within another image, and the style of the sunglasses is completely within keeping of the 'pop art' style.

looking forward to seeing more :)

Really stuck for time this week as work kicked off like crazy so felt a bit rushed with this shot.

My idea for week 4 was to create a soft focus portrait of my youngest daughter cleaning her teeth with her mouth open wide. I also wanted to incorporate split tone PP to give it an aditional edge.

Didnt turn out exactly how id imagined but here we go:

Project 52: WEEK4 - Open by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

As always, C&C welcomed :D

Hiya Matt,

Just stumbled upon your Photo52, I can't believe how many peeps I still have to reply to, so have my work cut out for me. So apologies for getting to your thread 4 weeks into the project.

Week 1: I like this, and good take on the theme. Love the way you have caught the wood grain. Actually I like it set against the black background. I am sure your children love playing with this playhouse.

Week 2: Once again, fits the theme well. OMG that little chick looks like he has had a tough time cracking open that egg :LOL: I like it though, because the little chick has the look that resembles a new chick just hached from an egg, not all fluffed up like we think of them. Have to agree about the date stamp and the top egg being cleaned up. I didn't see the oversaturated image that others have referred to, but I think this one is great.

Week 3: Excellent! I love the idea of the reflection you created, and thanks for the explanation of how you achieved that, one to keep in my memory bank. I am going agains the grain here, and although I like both images, I prefer the b&w mainly because it brings out the lovely details in your wife's face and the framing looks better. I hope she is feeling much better now.

Week 4: Another image that fits the theme spot on. TBH I'm not sure about the processing or the framing of the image. I don't mind split tone processing, but I'm not sure it works here. Sorry I can't offer any ideas as to what I would do as I can't picture what the colour image looks like.

Not long to go now until we find out week 5's theme. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Cheers

Dawn :)

A common running theme seems to be portrait with mouths open, but one with a toothbrush shoved into it is great!

I can't say I like your frame, perhaps if it was 4 sided, or not at all? Not sure if its posed or not, but it doesn't give the impression it is, so well captured!

What was your ISO?

Definately wasnt posed, we have had a nightmare with our girls and teeth cleaning so its turned into a big event at the end of each day. Sophie always walks in and sits on her seat and leaves her mouth gaping open ready for her tooth brushing episode, thats when i had the idea for this weeks theme.

ISO was pretty high at 640

Definately wasnt posed, we have had a nightmare with our girls and teeth cleaning so its turned into a big event at the end of each day. Sophie always walks in and sits on her seat and leaves her mouth gaping open ready for her tooth brushing episode, thats when i had the idea for this weeks theme.

ISO was pretty high at 640

:LOL: Matt, I know the routine, I have been there, but it does improve. My Reuben is 6 on Monday, and only now, in the last week or so is he starting to take the toothbrushing regime in his own control. So bear with it, they will soon learn the importance of good oral hygiene and take it upon themselves to brush their teeth.

Sorry this didn't have anything to do with your project (except the last image), but just had to add this and emphise your last theme.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Had sucha good idea for this theme and thought it would turn out looking really nice. I struggled with the background, found it hard to get a pure white but the idea is still there.

Hard........hardcore......hmmm......aha!! Hardcore Applecore!!! :cool:

Turn up the bass........booom!!!

Stylized version:

Project 52: Week 5 - Hard by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Original:

Project 52: Week 5 - Hard by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Didnt turn out as good as I had hoped, fear i need to learn much more on lighting :thinking:

Love it mate. Really nice to see something created rather than shot in its natural setting!

The best one i have seen in all 5 weeks superb
love thought process, image stands well and the distorted image as if the speakers are blasting out the sound superb :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:(y)

:agree:
The best one i have seen in all 5 weeks superb
love thought process, image stands well and the distorted image as if the speakers are blasting out the sound superb :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:(y)

:agree:

Prefer the first one with the distorted effect to the second one. Nice idea

Brilliant idea Matt, I can almost hear the first one as it looks loud!
The all white background would have perfected the image and may well be worth revisiting at a later date.
Very well done.

Back