101 Ways to Photogragh Pencils - Complete!

Hi stranger , glad to see this continueing

Popped in saw #79....SUPERB :clap::clap:

I really really wanna like #76 as well but theres something about the lower row thats niggling me...possibly slightly on the squiff from about the 5th one in from the left ?

Just noticed #64 as well.....PERFECT :clap:

You thought of trying to sell the series mister ?

Hi, Neil, another vote for 79. As close to perfect as you could get. Really like the flow of the colours.

74s are nice but I'd like to see the tip in focus.

Overall, cracking set.

Cheers.

Neil, 79 is amazing, this for me is the best one of the series !!

Blimey, it's been a while!
I'll have to admit defeat in completing this by 2013, Christmas will have to come first!
I will be completing it though, still got plenty of ideas!!

If I get chance I'll try and do a couple more of the ideas I have while I'm off work between Christmas and New Year, I'm sure the children wont miss me with all their new toys around!

Thanks to everyone who's visited and commented on this thread through the year, it is much appreciated.

I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year

All the Best

Neil

Blimey, it's been a while!
I'll have to admit defeat in completing this by 2013, Christmas will have to come first!
I will be completing it though, still got plenty of ideas!!

If I get chance I'll try and do a couple more of the ideas I have while I'm off work between Christmas and New Year, I'm sure the children wont miss me with all their new toys around!

Thanks to everyone who's visited and commented on this thread through the year, it is much appreciated.

I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year

All the Best

Neil

Good show, Neil, some crackers there and I'm sure you'll finish.

All the best you and your family.

See you in 46 days :D

Hi Neil

Just stumbled across this thread - some brilliantly creative work in here and some real stand out images - especially the water ones. Am currently enjoying scrolling image 75 up and down on my screen!

Anyhow, was wondering if it would be OK to show this thread to some of my students (I teach GCSE and A Level Photography) as an example of how to take one subject and interpret it in many different and creative ways.

Wishing you all the best for the remainder of the project; I will look with interest to see its completion.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Neil

Just stumbled across this thread - some brilliantly creative work in here and some real stand out images - especially the water ones. Am currently enjoying scrolling image 75 up and down on my screen!

Anyhow, was wondering if it would be OK to show this thread to some of my students (I teach GCSE and A Level Photography) as an example of how to take one subject and interpret it in many different and creative ways.

Wishing you all the best for the remainder of the project; I will look with interest to see its completion.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, I'm more than happy for you show my work with your students.
All the pictures are on my flickr in a set folder if you wanted to show them from there instead.

Let me know how you get on with them and thanks for looking.

Neil

This is absolutely amazing.. Thanks for sharing as this is something i would like to try

Thanks

This is absolutely amazing.. Thanks for sharing as this is something i would like to try

Thanks

No problem, glad you like them

Have you lost your pencils....;)

Took some the other night but they're still on the camera!
Hopefully I'll get some time before partying tomorrow to process and upload them!

Your lighting skills have really come on.

Great, clean composition and lines. Must take a while to set up.

Of the 4, it's #1 for me.

On the lighting, there are slight shadows, is it your aim to remove all shadows or leave a slight shadow?

Cheers.

Your lighting skills have really come on.

Great, clean composition and lines. Must take a while to set up.

Of the 4, it's #1 for me.

On the lighting, there are slight shadows, is it your aim to remove all shadows or leave a slight shadow?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy,

I'd rather there was no shadow or just one.
I'm using multiple flashes on these now I have two strobs.
Teh problem I'm finding is getting the power the same between the two, they're not the same flash units! One is TTL and the other isn't.
I'll try using them both on manual next time and see if it's easier.

I also need a second light stand so I can place the flashes where I need them and need more than one soft box to ease the shadows. I hope to pick up two shoot through umbrellas and stand for this - they're cheaper than soft boxes!

Mentalblock said:
Thanks Andy,

I'd rather there was no shadow or just one.
I'm using multiple flashes on these now I have two strobs.
Teh problem I'm finding is getting the power the same between the two, they're not the same flash units! One is TTL and the other isn't.
I'll try using them both on manual next time and see if it's easier.

I also need a second light stand so I can place the flashes where I need them and need more than one soft box to ease the shadows. I hope to pick up two shoot through umbrellas and stand for this - they're cheaper than soft boxes!

Yeah, I have Nikon and Yongnuo flashes and they do differ. I bough an umbrella from Amazon, cheapo, and it didn't last long.

Cheers.

Yeah, I have Nikon and Yongnuo flashes and they do differ. I bough an umbrella from Amazon, cheapo, and it didn't last long.

Cheers.

Hi Neil, These latest shots are superb, you must have some amazing patience to set them up as the symmetry and the colours are superb :clap:

Thanks for looking and the comments.
A few more are on their way!

'Ello, another great set. Symmetry is great and the different compositions are too.

It really is amazing, if you like, ho I really notice any slight imperfections. For example the very small lighters patches in numbers 1 and 2. Also when I really look the symmetry is ever so slightly off in a few. HOWEVER, overall, thumbs up because I know how hard something that appears so simple can be.

Cheers and 9 to go...unless you make it 200 :)

I Followed this thread with interest - you must have the Patience of a Saint

absolutley stunning :clap::clap:

Les :D

The End by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

A big thank you to everyone who viewed and commented on this thread.
It took longer than expected, mainly to other commitments, but I enjoyed it.

There are some shots that really stand out for me, some of which I'll be revisiting but with better pencils, these 99p pencils are not as consistent as I hope the proper art ones are!
At times it was very frustrating when you cannot align the pencils properly due to slight curves in the pencil, or you get the photo on the computer and notice that there are some strange marks on the paint of the pencil!

I was continually surprised at how many possibilities there was to arrange the pencils or how the moving of a light would alter the image, I won't do it, but there must be many other shots that could be done, do let me know if you do some!

I'm off to open a bottle of bear now and sit down and put the slide show together.

Thanks again everyone, interest from others makes it all worth while.

Neil

Fantastic thread, I've been watching it for ages. Well done, there are some simply amazing shots which I would be more than happy to have on my wall. I wish I had the kind of patience required for this kind of project. :clap:

Back