weekly Andy0306 52 attempt - Vertical, Loud and reshoot, added.

Hi Andy

Nature has lovely colors in it , is sharp & DOF works nicely......:)

Post & be dammed , look forward to the reshoot (y)

Ooops, missed your Step shot.....certainley on theme ( not read other's comments so apologies if I'm restating stuff !) would it have been possible to stand so that you lost the concrete slabs at the lhs of the image ? I like the curves , light maybe a little harsh but not a lot can be done about that !

Last edited:
I quite like your nature shot Andy, good colours, focus, dof, back lit, all works well (y)

This was taken with my trusty old TZ1 point and shoot camera, the sky really was that grey on Sunday over Silverstone.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of a DSLR I started to get frustrated getting a decent action shot (and some of the other themes) :(

Action by Andydf, on Flickr

Good action shot Andy (y) I think his positioning is a little unfortunate, at first glance he looks to have the front wheel also sat on something when a closer look shows he's just balancing on the rear :thinking:...........I like to watch a bit of trails mi self, cycles or motorcycles, very talented chaps :)

For those who like the bike stuff, here's a few more taken at the same time. Again the camera and light were against me.

P1020141_zps4df74da1.jpg

P1020142_zpsb5c60ff2.jpg

P1020135_zpsb5c0e310.jpg

Great action shots Andy. I especially like the first of the series of 3 where the rider is at the start of their somersault and well silhouetted against the sky.

The original posted shot of the trials rider is great, the other 3 though look like the light and / or your settings were well against you!

First is spot on though!

Works well enough for me, nice use of the light to get a good contrasty edge to all the shadows.

like that you can just make out the text if you look carefully.

twisted works really well, well composed and good use of shallow DOF.

Spot on!

Hi Andy ...super shot for twisted ... lots of lovely detail in it, I like the yellow of the rape seed in the background. Someone worked very hard making that fence ... a good choice for the theme.

I can't complain about the daisy as I did one too :) nice close up shot and of course a great choice for the theme :cool:

yep - nice and close for the daisy - seems to be a fair bit of green in the petals though?

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. :)

Again, apologies if I haven't posted in your threads, I'm still not 100% confident to give crit on things I know little about.

Good close up shot of the daisy Andy, good detail and shallow dof works well (y) ....:thinking: colour does look a little off though, think I would have preferred to see whiter petals.......is it a bit too warm? :thinking:

Idea for shapes ok, good detail and dof (y)..........possibly for me, either a wider crop to show the front of the wood slats and top of cast iron end or a lot tighter crop and just have the circle with the flower pattern :)

the end of the bench for shape is a good shot for a nasty theme, one of those where there is just tooooo many possibilities.

compositionally, I really like this, the curve of the back starting and ending nicely inside the left edge of the frame, the curve of the handrest given enough space to flow round, and the lines of the seat and back slats giving depth to the shot.

Processing wise though, (I get pulled for this a lot myself), it comes across as rather grey, and as such the circular flower shape doesn;t stand out that much. Adding a bit of contrast, (making the dark areas darker, and the light areas lighter) helps.

I had a quick edit, using the curves adjsutment layer with a fairly strong S-curve as pictured >> here <<, giving this >>>>> edit linky <<<<, oh, and a bit of a sharpen too. :)

Good close up shot of the daisy Andy, good detail and shallow dof works well (y) ....:thinking: colour does look a little off though, think I would have preferred to see whiter petals.......is it a bit too warm? :thinking:

Idea for shapes ok, good detail and dof (y)..........possibly for me, either a wider crop to show the front of the wood slats and top of cast iron end or a lot tighter crop and just have the circle with the flower pattern :)

I agree about the colour on the daisy, I need to learn more on the pp side of things. The picture is pretty much soc, which is new (to me) and I'm still playing with settings etc.

the end of the bench for shape is a good shot for a nasty theme, one of those where there is just tooooo many possibilities.

compositionally, I really like this, the curve of the back starting and ending nicely inside the left edge of the frame, the curve of the handrest given enough space to flow round, and the lines of the seat and back slats giving depth to the shot.

Processing wise though, (I get pulled for this a lot myself), it comes across as rather grey, and as such the circular flower shape doesn;t stand out that much. Adding a bit of contrast, (making the dark areas darker, and the light areas lighter) helps.

I had a quick edit, using the curves adjsutment layer with a fairly strong S-curve as pictured >> here <<, giving this >>>>> edit linky <<<<, oh, and a bit of a sharpen too. :)

Your edit does look better than my grey version, my PP skills (or lack of them) leave a lot to be desired :) There were so many B&W presets to choose from, I ended up using the standard conversion :rolleyes:

What software are you using?? Is it PSE 6?

These are pretty simple tweaks, and even Picasa has very simple sliders / tools to make these changes if anything more complicated is daunting at the moment.

Daisy just needs a White Balance adjustment, see >> here <<, there is an eye dropper that you click something that is supposed to be white, and it sets the WB accordingly. Or even a one click button that often works. :)

and the bench can have the shadows darkened and highlights brightened too (opposite of what you often want to do most of the time!). also in Picasa, >> link <<

Nothing wrong with using the challenge to ask for help with things you want to learn about. (y)

HI Andy

twisted ......on theme but not grabbing me.......nice n sharp with good focus though

Shape....love the mono & use of DOF , plenty of detail & sharp (y) being picky needs a touch more contrast & a straighten...you can see the far wall is on the squiff....

Fresh......frame filling in your shot which I like....needs tweaking ( as said already) on the WB to make it really pop :)

Post....move on....(y)

Shape I like it I would've been tempted to crop in a bit closer, also it seems to lack a bit of contract but good detail and nice low angle.

Cheers.

Back