weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Colin can you upload as full pictures, it would be easier for every one :)

I like #1 but #2 looks over exposed to me.

Thanks Judi. Yeah I think I got my composition wrong as regards to the bright day it was... I've also edited my post for the full image... First attempt at posting in this thread ;)

Hi, not really a fan of selective colour but as this is a telecaster I can forgive you, but on saying that it does work

Hi, I like the composition of your week 2 entry but for me it would have been better if the POF was the centre of the two words as the DOF would appear sufficient to then have both words in focus which is where I would have liked it. Nice image though..

Odd - Because of the blackness of background I was going to say the subjects looked suspended in mid air when I realised they are LOL
Linear/Line - I like the abstract nature of #2
Play - The curves on the head of the Fender just scream to be photographed. I like your use of a shallow DoF on this.

I would have liked to see the name fully in focus but that's just being picky.

Quite a strong image with the selective colour as well.

Odd - very :) I like this as it's so different - nicely exposed as stage lighting can be so hard to work with
Lines - prefer the first image the 2nd is lacking something - not sure what - but both are slightly O/E really difficult in full sun I know ;)
Play - not a fan of S/C but like the composition and the use of DOF

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far. It's really helpful getting comments from others. A friend of mine is doing a 365 project. I thought that would be too much for me as I work shifts etc so a 52 would be slightly easier. Getting into it now and looking forward to weekends never seemed better lol...

Play: I like the subject, the pic is good, but .... as said, I think both the fender and the telecaster word should be in focus. I am a fan of selective colour, but I feel the guitar body should be in colour too. It would be out of focus but it would make the picture more complete.

:wave: Colin, well caught up :D three good images :)

The reason I kept the Fender writing slightly blurred was because I was of the opinion that everyone would know their logo... They have so many different types of guitar so I tried to make my focal point the fact that it was a "Telecaster"...
I'm enjoying the critique everyone is giving. I hope you dont mind me replying individually. I usually use the "Like" button instead... cheers guys...

Hi Colin & a belated welcome to the 52's funhouse from me :wave:

Lines.......#2 shot for me , bold verticals , strong blue sky, splash of darker color which I suspect is wood all works really well together (y) could maybe bring the exposure down a smidge in pp & crop out the 2 darker area to the top corners...some kind of filter maybe as I get those dark area's with my filter holder on depending on how zoomed the lens is

Play.......bit of subtle sc appeals , like the focus & use of DOF , maybe just a tad sharper ( though it could be my eye's that are going soft :D)

Odd....yup , sure is , good colors , well handled exposure....:)

look forward to seeing more from you :)

Week 3 Close

View attachment 4218
This is an old pic I took. I'm working nights this week and didnt want to miss out. Its not what I first intended. I may sneak another in before the deadline ;).
I wanted DOF in that the riders were "close" and the building was in the distance as if they were heading that way...

Close - definately close and a good interpreation of the theme. However, the composition doesn't quite work for me. The railings are just visible in front of the monument and I think too much of the horses has been lost in the foreground.

I agree about the old picture - it's about getting out there each week, and trying for something / practicing something.

Super idea, and the perspective really does make it look close.

Letters seem to have a weird twist as they go along, but that's probably on the sign.

Is this as shot? Or has the bottom of the E been cropped afterwards?

Letters seem to have a weird twist as they go along, but that's probably on the sign.

Is this as shot? Or has the bottom of the E been cropped afterwards?

Yeah the sign was bent a little... Used "daylight" in ACR and the E hasnt been cropped... I intentionally got in close and probably was too near. I was getting some strange looks from the people in the area so I only took a couple of pics before leaving... haha

I prefer #1. Maybe there's something you can do to help the composition, like a tight crop in on the horse-riders.

#2 is perhaps a bit literal and is lacking in something to give it a bit more interest.

But the important thing is you're doing the challenge and your photography will benefit.

Hi the second close has potential as Peter says, but a good idea and I'm surprised myself no one else has done it.
maybe its like buses there will be a few along in a minute

Hi, sneaky Close #1 is well composed.....but it doesn't count :naughty: ;)

Close #2 has, as been said, potential. Nice low angle and veerrrryyy close. Pity you clipped the bottom of the E. B&W may be an option.

Cheers.

Did think of using a sign from a Close (road) but strangely there is only on in my village and the sign is missing anyway.

Back