Any malt whisky fans in?

If you fancy something a bit different try Jim Beam red stag which is cherry finished.

now your talking :) love red stag neat with ice

Makers Mark is also a fantastic bourbon.

Not an expert but love Paddy Old Irish Whiskey, lovely and smooth.

No one drinking Japanese whisky then. They have won the worlds best Malt Whisky award for two years out of the last 3

Steve

Yes got a bottle of Nikka in my collection, current faveourite is springbank though.

Quick update.

Ive seen off the samples of Talisker 18 and Highland Park 18yo. They werent as orgasmic as I was hoping if Im honest. Better than the "Entry level" ones but not by £40 worth I didnt think. Am now not optimistic about the 21 yo Pulteney but not opened yet.

As a side note, how could I take photo's of whisky bottles similar to those previously posted? What kit would I need and how to set up?

I have a 580EXII flash, 50mm 1.4 lens, 10-20mm sigma, 18-55 kit lens and 75-300mm lens. Am guessing the 50mm 1.4 would be my best bet?

How would I set up the still life/product shot at home?

Cheers all.

If I'm just after a cheep glass of Blended Whisky it has to be The Famous Grouse, but malts are so much nicer.

Not a whisky man myself but after being unemployed I took on a job with WM Grant and Sons. We often get bottles of limited edition stuff. Recently I was photographing Brian Kinsman who is the Malt Master, very very knowledgable guy who shared a few tips.i also photographed the room where all the tasting and mixing new drinks are put together.

We get stuff like The Balvenie, Doublewood, Signature out the staff shop at good prices but my main buy is Reyka vodka--- fantastic premium vodka and loved by everyone who tries it.

Last edited:
Can recommend a good bourbon? And are they fine neat/with water or do you add mixer generally?

Jack Daniels - Gentleman Jack is a nice bourbon that can be drunk straight.

My mum was in NY last week on holiday and brought me back a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's something like 54.1% :eek::eek: Looking forward to trying it though!

Jack Daniels - Gentleman Jack is a nice bourbon that can be drunk straight.

My mum was in NY last week on holiday and brought me back a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's something like 54.1% :eek::eek: Looking forward to trying it though!

Wild turkey is supposed to be an insanely good bourbon! There's a bottle with my name on come birthday time!

Has anyone here tried the MacAllan Gold?

Has anyone here tried the MacAllan Gold?

Not yet but heard some good stuff about it somewhere. Oh yeah, in a top 10 whisky thing the Independent produced Review. Only worrying thing is there's no age statement on the box so you cant be sure what you are getting. Crafty marketing ploy so they can get shot of some of their younger stuff? Who knows.

If I see it on offer at any point I will probably pick one up. Macallan are one of my favourites.

Must admit I was surprised to see glenlivet 12 on that list of 10 best.

Not yet but heard some good stuff about it somewhere. Oh yeah, in a top 10 whisky thing the Independent produced Review. Only worrying thing is there's no age statement on the box so you cant be sure what you are getting. Crafty marketing ploy so they can get shot of some of their younger stuff? Who knows.

If I see it on offer at any point I will probably pick one up. Macallan are one of my favourites.

Must admit I was surprised to see glenlivet 12 on that list of 10 best.

Cheers for the link :)
It was up for sale in ASDA at £29 a bottle when i was in last

If you like it, thats what matters, not what anybody else might think of your choice.

:plus1:

Same with anything, whatever floats your boat.

Yes got a bottle of Nikka in my collection, current faveourite is springbank though.

Is it any good, seems to be one of the more reasonably priced ones.

Steve

I put the £80 21 yo Old Pulteney up against the £30 Macallan Fine Oak Masters edition last night and have to say the Macallan was better, like nectar.
Dont think I'll be rushing to spend more than £50 on a bottle again any time soon.
And probably also bin my Jim Murray whisky bible!

Next to try is a 15 yo Glenlivet Ive not opened yet.

Had the pleasure of drinking a Glenfarclas Family Cask 1973 on Wednesday evening; it was opened to celebrate our company's 40th anniversary. It's one of the few Glenfarclas I've tried that actually has a peaty, iodine, smoky aroma & flavour. Whisky was still very hot, and the 56.5% Alc really pushed through. But there was a nice caramel, sherry sweetness coming through, too.

I went home with a bottle of the regular 30 & 40 year olds; Happy Days :)

Not an exotic by any means, but Tesco are selling a half bottle of 10 year old Jura reduced to £12 and that seems a good way to try it out if you're not sure you'll like it. Might be Scotland only? :thinking:

Opened the Glenlivet 15yo. Delicate is the word I think. Not overimbued with strong flavours.

Has anyone tried the Balvenie 14 Carribbean cask one yet? I fancy that if it goes on offer anytime soon.

I like the Islay Malts and Talisker, Dalwhinnie, Aberlour and Oban

Being Welsh - Penderyn gets another mention

However, I am currently hitting the redial button on my phone trying to get through to the ordering hotline at the Sint Sixtus Monastery in Westvleeteren in Belgium to get some Trappist beers - 12% Westvleeteren. Failing that I'll just get St Bernardus in the supermarket....

Glenfiddich was on offer in Morrisons on Friday £20 a bottle, bought some for the Caravan and was pleasantly surprised, its that long since we have had any that had forgotten how nice it is

I rarely buy the bog standard Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie or Glenlivet. But of the 3 Glenfiddich isnt too bad if i recall. Have tried a few of their other whiskies and usually very good. Solera is a nice drop. And theres a distillers edition out at the moment 15 yo 50% odd proof, hoping that will come on offer soon so I have an excuse to get some.

Has anyone tried the Balvenie Doublewood 17? My bottle of 12 is down to it's last few drams and I could do with a replacement

I managed to pick up a taster bottle of the macallan gold, I was very underwhelmed, it just didn't taste of anything. I won't be buying a full bottle.

I'm looking into either the Balvenie double wood 17 or the carribbean cask instead.

I managed to pick up a taster bottle of the macallan gold, I was very underwhelmed, it just didn't taste of anything. I won't be buying a full bottle.

Damn. Mind you I think losing the age statement is a bit of nasty trick to be honest. Charge same as the 12 year old used to be but put any aged stuff you feel like in.

I'm looking into either the Balvenie double wood 17 or the carribbean cask instead.
Yes I'll be snapping up a Caribbean if I see it on offer. Not seen a 17 DW round these parts.

Just the job.

So come on then, whats the Caribbean cask like?

I got a Bowmore Islay 20% off in Waitrose saturday, very palatable. Esp for £23.

So my sister's husband worked with Robert Englund on his latest film and got a bottle of Maker's Mark as a thank you.

And it's ended up as my birthday present, I wasn't expecting much from a Bourbon but it's not too bad.

So my sister's husband worked with Robert Englund on his latest film and got a bottle of Maker's Mark as a thank you.

And it's ended up as my birthday present, I wasn't expecting much from a Bourbon but it's not too bad.

I've got a bottle staring at me in the kitchen begging me to take that wax seal off! Especially as I'm down to the dregs of my Wild Turkey 101 :(

Makers Mark's not bad!

Just given in and opened the Maker's Mark. As nice as it is, I can honestly say it's not a patch on the Wild Turkey 101 (but as it was a present i'm in no way complaining!)

off to Glencoe on Saturday, I think a trip to the whisky shop will be in order, will report back when home

off to Glencoe on Saturday, I think a trip to the whisky shop will be in order, will report back when home
Back to single malts, phew. :clap:

Ive recently opened a Talisker Storm. Very tasty and a little bit different to the 10yo. Worrying trend for these whisky bods to not put age statements on their malts now though. the Storm doesnt have one and I noticed that Macallan dont do 10yo now, just 'gold'. (Which I tried in a pub and was very nice) but I think they are doing it to be able to supply us with younger whiskies at the price of aged ones. Cheeky. You watch the rest follow suit.

Well I had to pick the other half up from Heathrow last night as she's been across the pond all week. Not a dive I enjoyed very much but it was made worthwhile when she handed me this. :D

Back