Anyone used E-infinity ?

Yes, but just £10, which I'll write off to experience. A cheap lesson given the overall amount.

From now on, I think I will stick to used camera gear that's still in warranty - or with MPB/etc used warranty - instead of grey imports.

Or a retailer like Panamoz. Used gear usually comes with just 6 months warranty which isn't very long.

Hi, considering buying grey. If I were to want to resell some of the gear down the line, would it affect the used gear price much simply because it's grey (beside the depreciation due to new products, wear and tear, damages, etc.) ? I feel like it shouldn't because, by then, out of warranty items should all be more or less the same but I don't have any experience in this.

Also what do secondary marketplaces such as MPB or ebay think about grey products ?

Hi, considering buying grey. If I were to want to resell some of the gear down the line, would it affect the used gear price much simply because it's grey (beside the depreciation due to new products, wear and tear, damages, etc.) ? I feel like it shouldn't because, by then, out of warranty items should all be more or less the same but I don't have any experience in this.

Also what do secondary marketplaces such as MPB or ebay think about grey products ?
I've bought grey and sold privately and to online retailers without issues.

My first post so please don't take it as a blatant advert for Panamoz. I thought it would be helpful to relate my experiences with them Over the past 2 year or so I've purchased an R5 & 100-500 and a few months ago an R6. All at slightly more expensive prices than E-Infin. The R6 arrived with some dead pixels on the LCD, not a show stopper but something you would not accept from a new item. I sent Panamoz an email & photo and with 5 working days they'd arranged to collect the 'dud' R6 and replace it with a new one which checked out fine. The only issue I had was that when I went to register the first R6 on Canon Professional it would not accept the serial number, I can't remember why now unfortunately, with the R5, 100-500 & the replacement R6 there was no issues. E-Efin might be cheaper but I've read a few average reviews on DPR that give me pause for hesitation before spending a large amount with them.

All the best, Mark

PS, I have since passed on the R6 to MPB with no issue that it was a grey item.

The only risk is that we (or a future owner) may find that Fuji/Sony/whoever in the UK may refuse to repair a grey-bought item. They'd be within their rights, because our contract is with the dealer, not with the manufacturer.

That said, I suspect that most value good PR and the repair income and will service it just like the same item bought in the UK.

I've bought grey and sold privately and to online retailers without issues.
I have sold Grey kit to MPB, several retailers and eBay. None have ever had a problem with where the kit was sourced originally.

Was the resell value affected by the fact that it was a grey product though ? I've never sold anything on MPB but I guess I'd have to disclose where the product was originally purchased ? In general and on average (as a percentage of the retail price maybe?), how much do retailers offer for gear still in excellent condition ?

Thanks everyone for your answer !

Was the resell value affected by the fact that it was a grey product though ? I've never sold anything on MPB but I guess I'd have to disclose where the product was originally purchased ? In general and on average (as a percentage of the retail price maybe?), how much do retailers offer for gear still in excellent condition ?

No, they don't know it's grey....

As Bob has said above. The price was not affected. I find most retailers etc, offer reasonable prices. MPB are the only one who have ever asked where I originally bought the equipment I am selling from. I have always been honest and prices have not been affected as a result of selling any grey equipment. I have found that MPBs offers recently have been much lower than they used to be. They seem to be collecting a lot of stock for recent models. especially those that have recently been superseded by newer versions and prices have lowered accordingly. I always ask al the main players such as WEX , Camerworld, Clifton for prices as well as MPB. It can be quite shocking the difference in the offers you get for the same equipment.

As Bob has said above. The price was not affected. I find most retailers etc, offer reasonable prices. MPB are the only one who have ever asked where I originally bought the equipment I am selling from. I have always been honest and prices have not been affected as a result of selling any grey equipment. I have found that MPBs offers recently have been much lower than they used to be. They seem to be collecting a lot of stock for recent models. especially those that have recently been superseded by newer versions and prices have lowered accordingly. I always ask al the main players such as WEX , Camerworld, Clifton for prices as well as MPB. It can be quite shocking the difference in the offers you get for the same equipment.
WEX in my experience do care if it's grey imported especially for cameras where they are able established it's not UK model.
They reduced my quote by £100 for being a grey import in the past. I bought the camera from this forum and owner had bought it from e-infin.

Mpb mostly ask to cover thier backside in case you sell them stolen goods for example. Then they can tell the police they have checked but you lied to them.

Last edited:
Ok good to know, it's best to shop around as well to see who'll give you the highest offer. And I guess selling p2p will give you the highest return (with some potential headache if there's a fraudalent/malevolent buyer)

WEX in my experience do care if it's grey imported especially for cameras where they are able established it's not UK model.
They reduced my quote by £100 for being a grey import in the past. I bought the camera from this forum and owner had bought it from e-infin.

Mpb mostly ask to cover thier backside in case you sell them stolen goods for example. Then they can tell the police they have checked but you lied to them.
How can you find out whether a good is stolen or not when you buy it used on marketplaces such as eBay, facebook marketplace or on online forums ?

How can you find out whether a good is stolen or not when you buy it used on marketplaces such as eBay, facebook marketplace or on online forums ?

you can't, not generally anyway.
there are serial number checkers where people report their stolen/lost cameras but they are hardly complete or foolproof.

you can't, not generally anyway.
there are serial number checkers where people report their stolen/lost cameras but they are hardly complete or foolproof.
It's a shame but I guess it must be very hard to aggregate a single source of truth for these serial numbers.

The only risk is that we (or a future owner) may find that Fuji/Sony/whoever in the UK may refuse to repair a grey-bought item. They'd be within their rights, because our contract is with the dealer, not with the manufacturer.

That said, I suspect that most value good PR and the repair income and will service it just like the same item bought in the UK.

So do you have any update on your refund from the CC company, have you been able to keep your refund ?

So do you have any update on your refund from the CC company, have you been able to keep your refund ?
No further updates from anyone. I always check my CC statements, so I should spot it if Nationwide decide to reverse the chargeback. If so, I'll post a glum update here.

Reactions: TG.
I ordered a lens and it was sent via Royal Mail, the parcel never turned up and is stuck at the distribution centre for the past 2 weeks even though it was a next-day delivery, Royal mail has declared it lost but e-finity won't reply to my emails. I paid via debit card so should I ring my bank and start a claim? :rolleyes:

No further updates from anyone. I always check my CC statements, so I should spot it if Nationwide decide to reverse the chargeback. If so, I'll post a glum update here.
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that once the chargeback is issued there is no reversing it. When you file a chargeback against a business they have the option to dispute/contest it before the refund lands back in your account. Once it lands in your account it means the chargeback case is closed.

I ordered a lens and it was sent via Royal Mail, the parcel never turned up and is stuck at the distribution centre for the past 2 weeks even though it was a next-day delivery, Royal mail has declared it lost but e-finity won't reply to my emails. I paid via debit card so should I ring my bank and start a claim? :rolleyes:
I'm sorry to hear :-/
Chargeback/claims are easier with a credit card than debit cards as with credit card you have the law behind you (section 75).

With debit cards I believe it's still possible to reverse transactions but the results depends on how helpful the individual bank is.
In the first instance I suggest you gather all evidence of your trying to contact them. Regardless of what card it is the bank will ask you what you did to contact them. There is no hard and fast rule that I'm aware of in terms of what is reasonable time to reply to your messages, so it's down to you to show their dealings with you has been unreasonable.

Not sure that helps if at all, but do hope you get your money back.

I didn't know e-infinity even did next day delivery, I have ordered from them a couple of times and from what I can remember both took a couple of weeks from start to finish.
Sorry not as in next day delivery, once the parcel hits the UK there contact in the UK then send via next day delivery, from start to finish normally around 7 days

I'm sorry to hear :-/
Chargeback/claims are easier with a credit card than debit cards as with credit card you have the law behind you (section 75).

With debit cards I believe it's still possible to reverse transactions but the results depends on how helpful the individual bank is.
In the first instance I suggest you gather all evidence of your trying to contact them. Regardless of what card it is the bank will ask you what you did to contact them. There is no hard and fast rule that I'm aware of in terms of what is reasonable time to reply to your messages, so it's down to you to show their dealings with you has been unreasonable.

Not sure that helps if at all, but do hope you get your money back.
Thanks for the I fo nand, I will contact them on Monday and see where I stand and let what happens

I found this forum from Google after worrying about my e-infinity order this month, I thought I might as well post my own experience

Day 1: Order placed (UK evening time)
Day 2: Order Processed email, received picture of order
Day 7: Order shipped email, with tracking number number for DHL which works
Day 11: Order received by DHL (Friday)
Day 14: Order delivered (Monday)

Only thing I noticed is that the security seal had been broken on the camera box, I guess this was to add a UK power plug? Everything works fine and camera is in perfect condition.

Took 2 weeks for my Sony tele converter to arrive from E-infinity but no issues. The weirdest thing was that I didn't get any notification that it was out for delivery or even that it was in the country lol, just randomly turned up the other day! Saved well over £100 over UK stock though for something that wildly varies in price. Panamoz pricing for the Sony TCs for example is shockingly bad in comparison

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that once the chargeback is issued there is no reversing it. When you file a chargeback against a business they have the option to dispute/contest it before the refund lands back in your account. Once it lands in your account it means the chargeback case is closed.
100% untrue, the first action of the bank is to refund whilst investigating on the proviso that they will re-debit your account if you ultimately lose the case, I have first hand experience of this on a £10k transaction. I won but it took 9 months to conclude.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my 90mm Sony macro is from them and I had no issues at all, they were fast and I got a great price (and it shipped from within the UK so no import duty worries)

My latest dealing with E-Infinity has turned into a never again shop there.
Purchased a Sony 100-400mm, took a week to get here then would not fit onto my A7 IV, don't no why but just would not turn at the connection, contacted them the same day but had to wait until next morning for a reply requesting to outline the problem so wrote as long a description as is possible to write to explain the problem next day email asking for video or image of problem so sent images, again next day asking me to send it back for a refund at my expense a lens that was faulty, to do so with enough insurance cost me £17 for next day delivery (today I hope) sent them proof of postage now say have to wait 3 working days for a refund (amazing how the return policy is 14 days not working days).
Will not buy there again. Russ.

100% untrue, the first action of the bank is to refund whilst investigating on the proviso that they will re-debit your account if you ultimately lose the case, I have first hand experience of this on a £10k transaction. I won but it took 9 months to conclude.
Yeah this is right.... I was refunded by Santander the cost of two flights I'd booked with Flybe, just before they went bust. But the bank explained to me that if their efforts to claim this amount back via the administrators fails, they will take the refund back out of my account.

Buying grey might seem like a good idea with good savings, but if you need repairs you start to have problems. Here where I live in Italy, Nikon will not repair grey gear.

I had a little accident with my almost new D850. They fixed and serviced the camera at a reasonable cost. If it had been grey, I would have had big problems. The same thing with the more seriously damaged 24TS lens that I damaged in the same accident.

My latest dealing with E-Infinity has turned into a never again shop there.
Purchased a Sony 100-400mm, took a week to get here then would not fit onto my A7 IV, don't no why but just would not turn at the connection, contacted them the same day but had to wait until next morning for a reply requesting to outline the problem so wrote as long a description as is possible to write to explain the problem next day email asking for video or image of problem so sent images, again next day asking me to send it back for a refund at my expense a lens that was faulty, to do so with enough insurance cost me £17 for next day delivery (today I hope) sent them proof of postage now say have to wait 3 working days for a refund (amazing how the return policy is 14 days not working days).
Will not buy there again. Russ.
So you've bought from them before? Doesn't really sound any different from buying mail order from anywhere else. You'd likely get your postage refunded once they confirm it's faulty....

Last edited:
If you must purchase from them, I believe they have an eBay shop. eBay's buyer's policy is a pretty great especially if the goods are not as described or faulty.

I've used E-infinity several times, absolutely no issues. I've never had a faulty item from them but that could happen with any supplier.

I've just ordered from Panamoz for the first time in years. E-Infinity don't stock the lens I wanted (the Nikon Z 105mm macro) and bizarrely said when I queried it that it was a newly released lens that might stock in future. Panomoz had it but in stock but £125 dearer than One-Stop Digital (have also used them previously with no issues). I asked Panamoz if they could do anything with their price and they knocked £90 off. I was happy to pay the difference to get the 3 year warranty.

Day 1 (thursday evening): order placed
Day 2: order processed, photo of the product and packaging
Day 6: order shipped email with royal mail tracking number.
Day 7: arrived.

Buying grey might seem like a good idea with good savings, but if you need repairs you start to have problems. Here where I live in Italy, Nikon will not repair grey gear.

I had a little accident with my almost new D850. They fixed and serviced the camera at a reasonable cost. If it had been grey, I would have had big problems. The same thing with the more seriously damaged 24TS lens that I damaged in the same accident.
Use an independent place would be my recommendation.

They won't know if its grey and if they find out just say you bought it on holiday or something

Day 1 (thursday evening): order placed
Day 2: order processed, photo of the product and packaging
Day 6: order shipped email with royal mail tracking number.
Day 7: arrived.
I ordered from Panamoz on 16 May. They refunded me the promised discount the following day. Lens received today, 8 days later. Faultless service.

Use an independent place would be my recommendation.

They won't know if its grey and if they find out just say you bought it on holiday or something

I have a lot more faith in Nikon's official repair shop, who are properly trained and have good resources to repair Nikon gear. They were able to source parts from Nikon in Japan to repair my 24mm PC, that would have been possible by cannibalising parts from a broken lens, if I had gone to an independent. I am sure thre are some good independents, but it is a lottery.

A 24PC cost more than €2000, SH they go for €1200. The repair cost me €350 for a basically rebuilt lens. I saved money in the end by being able to repair the lens.

Also having officially imported gear, takes away a lot of hassle when things break. You just send it to Nikon,

I have a lot more faith in Nikon's official repair shop, who are properly trained and have good resources to repair Nikon gear. They were able to source parts from Nikon in Japan to repair my 24mm PC, that would have been possible by cannibalising parts from a broken lens, if I had gone to an independent. I am sure thre are some good independents, but it is a lottery.

A 24PC cost more than €2000, SH they go for €1200. The repair cost me €350 for a basically rebuilt lens. I saved money in the end by being able to repair the lens.

Also having officially imported gear, takes away a lot of hassle when things break. You just send it to Nikon,
This is not a problem in the UK. Manufacturers will repair imported gear and treat it as out of warranty.
I think that's the right think to do also because people travel and refusing to fix equipment bought legitimately in another country isn't good form IMO.
Unfortunately there is no way telling if a lens/camera gear was bought legitamately or via smuggling it in. but I guess they could ask for the original receipt and seems fair than plain refusing all imported gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
I have used E-infinity, for lower priced items as I am too cautious to risk larger amounts on grey imports, but since reading about the ethics relating to taxes etc with grey imports, I doubt I would again. As someone who grew up with wonderful camera shops on high streets, it's sad to see the decline of our bricks and mortar retail industry, and companies like E-infinity, Panamoz etc do nothing to contribute towards our society in the form of taxes, employing people etc. I accept ethics is all down to personal opinion, so I have no problem with others doing as they choose, but I've made my choice. I don't use Amazon either, for similar reasons. Yes, you pay more from a UK based dealer, but at least you're helping support your own economy better. For this reason, I agree with Nikon etc refusing to warranty grew imports. I think warranties should only apply if you purchased something within your own country. We need to protect our own economy, and not fund those who dodge taxes and contribute nothing here.

Back