Anyone used The Photographers Bag on ebay ?

So they bought a camera from me, a private seller, i hadn't listed the shutter count as i don't have the software. They paid up and i sent it. They are complaining that the "shutter count is high" (no proof offered) and want a refund. They've also acknowledged it is not faulty and have it on sale for more than they paid with the strap, eyecup and a battery missing. They do indeed buy on one account and sell on the other, both are listed at the same address and name. I'm loathe to refund as the camera is perfectly fine.
It's there fault if they have bought it without knowing what the shutter count is. They can't complain unless you'd offer it as low shutter count which I assume you didn't.

It's there fault if they have bought it without knowing what the shutter count is. They can't complain unless you'd offer it as low shutter count which I assume you didn't.
no, i simply listed it as used, fully working with no faults. I used the camera the weekend before i listed it to be 100% sure all was well.

I bought something a few years back and no problems. Can't remember what it was. They have good feedback. They are also cheap, but one downer could just be quality control. If they buy stuff on eBay too and simply sell on without checks you can see where problems could occur. Checking costs money after all! I like the tip for making an offer BTW.

So they bought a camera from me, a private seller, i hadn't listed the shutter count as i don't have the software. They paid up and i sent it. They are complaining that the "shutter count is high" (no proof offered) and want a refund. They've also acknowledged it is not faulty and have it on sale for more than they paid with the strap, eyecup and a battery missing. They do indeed buy on one account and sell on the other, both are listed at the same address and name. I'm loathe to refund as the camera is perfectly fine.

Not to be necro buy they just did the same to me, they bought one of our old 1d mkii n's here for what I though was a bargain £200 with charger and a good battery, camera works flawlessly > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322244597937?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Now they've inboxed us complaining about the shutter count, admittedly I never checked it, but neither did they ask

"The shutter count is of concern. To be honest I had know idea it would be so high, nothing in your advert pointed towards very heavy usage. The shutter count would indicate that there is not a lot of life in the camera given its usage. I would like to get the camera serviced. It will cost £30 to do this. Would you be prepared to cover the cost? Please advise."

Tempted to tell them to send it back than pay them £30

If they are concerned about the shutter count and it is not mentioned in the description, they need to ask before bidding. They are buying the camera described - and that is a camera with an unknown shutter count.

Not to be necro buy they just did the same to me, they bought one of our old 1d mkii n's here for what I though was a bargain £200 with charger and a good battery, camera works flawlessly > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322244597937?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Now they've inboxed us complaining about the shutter count, admittedly I never checked it, but neither did they ask

"The shutter count is of concern. To be honest I had know idea it would be so high, nothing in your advert pointed towards very heavy usage. The shutter count would indicate that there is not a lot of life in the camera given its usage. I would like to get the camera serviced. It will cost £30 to do this. Would you be prepared to cover the cost? Please advise."

Don't.
Tell them you're in the right. Stand firm. Tell them you know of another seller they've tried this con with (me), tell them you know their game and that they're advertising it at a profit and describing as fully working. Which I assume it is.
Then block them from bidding on your stuff as I have.

They're selling it (or at least advertising it) with a declared SHUTTER COUNT : 288,996. So what is their problem.

Sold as described. Simples!

Let her know you know she's selling it too. So you assume she's happy with it. To which she'll reply saying that they have listed the shutter count.
You're not obliged to list the shutter count.

Contact eBay and complain they are trying to pressurise a part refund even though it was as described. Have they left feedback yet?

Here's a breakdown of the happenings so far

They've opened a dispute in the resolution section of ebay

I told them I know their game and submitted screenshots of them selling the camera

They just keep repeating that the shutter count is too high

I called ebay via their callback system as I was convinced this is against ebay rules, rep said if true it's an abuse of the resolution process but I've got to wait until the 21st to escalate the case and submit any evidence. Meanwhile my camera is still for sale in "very good condition and perfect working order" on their other account.

They've not left feedback yet

They never left negative feedback for me. I've got screen grabs of their messages. I bet they're virtually word for word the same as they're sending you.

Funny thing I sold my Elinchrom Quadra to them on eBay for £850 they have been trying for five months to re sell it for £974 ! I know that they are a business but no chance!

I bought a genuine bg-e7 battery grip for my 7d from them for £45 last week. Seemed a bargain, and it was, it was as described and i like that they put lots of good quality images of the product in the ad. It arrived quickly, well packaged and works perfectly. From the sounds of it I'll avoid them buying my stuff, but to buy from them, no complaints here

Ordered a couple of lenses from them in the past 6 months on arrive I found them to be routed with fungus on what seemed 4 different layers of optics, rang them up not the nicest of people to deal with at all from my experience was not interested at all for giving me my money back saying it doesn't show fungus on the images for the listing even though the serial number of the lenses they sent me where different, got it back after a longwinded dispute and case with eBay, waste of time from what I've experienced and the box's arrived poorly packed with the lenses rattling around inside.

Could be interesting, they've bought my D300 via an account in the name of tpbonline.
They also trade as filterfantastic. And they truly do have some fantastical prices; D70 for £219, D300 for £899 WTF?????

I have brought 2 cameras and a battery pack no issues at all

This thread is more about the way they conduct themselves when they buy from private sellers, they seem to purposely seek out DSLR bodies without the shutter count info, they don't ask about it and then later they try to get a deduction. It's very underhand.

I bought a Minolta Dynax 7 from them. It works fine but had a scratch on the focussing screen, which isn't user replaceable. Decided to keep it as too much hassle to send back and wait to buy another.

This thread is more about the way they conduct themselves when they buy from private sellers, they seem to purposely seek out DSLR bodies without the shutter count info, they don't ask about it and then later they try to get a deduction. It's very underhand.

This is a common scam with used car sales. Someone buys a car, happily pays asking price, comes back on your doorstep with a fabricated long list of faults needing repairs demanding a refund and if you don't threatening court action.

There at it again

Shutter count
Yep same people going through the threads ,I think a phone call to your regional police hq and a chat to the fraud officer might be on the cards ,there's more than enough comments on here going back over a lengthy period to prove mal.practise . Watchdog would love to get there teeth into this to I should think ,

I have just looked at the Camera, Dean sold to these people and to be honest with the amount of wear and tear to the body. Only a complete fool would think this had anything but a high count!!! So why they think they can complain is beyond me.
they also state that the shutter count is a guide only. Tell them to do one Dean!!! hope all works out for you. but as I stated before as a buyer I have only good things to say......

Just reading though this thread but what a shocking way of trading, it seem like they are buying in for the going rate and trying to get discounts on camera gear by coming back to the sellers with threats if a partial refund isn't offered, shocking way of going on...

Perhaps just as shocking is the alleged ability of Ebay sellers to manipulate feedback statistics by means of breaking Ebay rules with apparent impunity. Ebay are only interested in the income derived from transactions conducted by the business concerned, only seriously adverse publicity is going to change this. I will consider any future Ebay100% feedback, or close to 100% feedback for large volume sellers as scarcely credible. I have yet to sell anything on Ebay and have even less confidence in the Ebay arrangements now. I know it's difficult for a Forum to act as referee, but it would be nice to have a sticky yellow flag warning when there is evidence of the kind of shenanigans going on as listed above. I will add the Photographers Bag into my file which has a reference to barge poles in the title.

Forgot to update this, Ebay found in our favour. The English is a bit broken but here's what Ebay had to say...

"Hello Gemma,

Thanks for contacting eBay regarding the Not as Described case that was recently opened for item camera (item 322244597937). I know it is disappointing when a buyer files a case against you when you have accurately described the item and posted it in good condition, how I wish this thing didn’t happen. I understand you are concern as the buyer listed the item using another account on the site. Please allow me to take this opportunity to assist you and take away your worries.

We want you to have problem with this transaction. We know that you are a genuine seller and we believe that you wanted to give a full satisfaction to all of your trading partners. I ran a thorough investigation and I have noticed that there was an ongoing issue between yourselves and your buyer regarding the item above.

We know how important it is for you to have this matter settled Gemma. I've reviewed the case and determined that you have described the item correctly and completely. I've therefore closed the case in your favour.

When the case was open, we placed the funds for this transaction on hold; I can confirm these funds have now been returned to you."

You're not required to take any further action in relation to this case.

I trust I have explained everything clearly and I wish you more excellent transaction on eBay surely your a part of this growing success and so we want you to continue to have that great trading experience.

Kind regards,

Rei P.

eBay Customer Service!"

Last time I sell used camera stuff on ebay.

Well done, at least it also shows that sellers who follow all the rules are still afforded protection and it isn't always "the buyer is always right" on eBay as some people think.

Back