Apple have announced that Aperture is now dead

I'm not an Aperture user ( Lightroom) , however I am a Final Cut Pro X user. FCPX has grown dramatically over the time it has been out. I didn't start with it 'till 10.0.3 and by that time a lot of the criticism of the early release seemed to have been addressed. Each "dot" upgrade tends to bring improvements. Now you can have 4K ( it supported this from the off) multi-cam support and lots of bells and whistles. Apple have previous on this. Bringing out a new product which improves and evolves over time. It may be they will do the same with Photo improving the range of tools the product has with time. And in many cases ( as with FCPX ) Free. I wouldn't get too concerned at the moment. The current version ( if ageing) of Aperture works fine for those users that have it. and will probably continue to do so for some time, albeit without any upgrades.

My suggestion would be to wait and see what happens with Photos. Apple have never been ones for giving too much away in advance. However I wont be buying a copy of Aperture.

The statement that Apple were working with Adobe to help the transition to Lightroom was originally posted on TechCrunch (which is where the story broke) but that statement has since been withdrawn. Adobe however are increasing their support to aid migration.

From my POV, I really don't know what to do about this. I've posted elsewhere that it's not the demise of Aperture per se that's the cause of my grief but the uncertainty and doubt (because of Apple's reticence) of what the Photos app will offer. As John Cleese's character in Clockwork said, "It's not the despair but the hope I can't stand".

And my frustration is not because of the raw processing side of things but the DAM element which Aperture has nailed. So it boils down to not knowing whether to stick or twist and if only Apple said one way or the other what the DAM elements are going to be in Photos - 3rd party plugin or native - everyone, me included, could move on.

I know that Aperture will run in Yosemite and will be supported until the next OSX update (so, until say 2016) but I don't want to go adding thousands more images to my Aperture library if it's all going to go tits up after Yosemite.

By the way, I've blogged about the problems caused by DAM dilemmas here and here...

Bide your time and watch inventive people online, come up with a slick migration solution. This is not the subject to make a rushed decision.

I don't think this is anything to fret about. Could just be a partnership deal between two pieces of software. Apple would not want to risk 'loss of reputation' storm in a teacup - Apple keep their cards close to their chest. Stand-by for the next version of Aperture, albeit possibly in a different name.

Yes. Don't fret. Just go through the normal phases.
  1. Sadness. Like the loss of an old friend.
  2. Anger. I've invested all that time and money in managing my pictures in Aperture.
  3. Despair. What am I going to do?

Last edited:
As Apple are so extensively redesigning their Operating System with the forthcoming Yosemite, it makes sense for them to extensively redesign some of their Apps to take advantage of the changes rather than just keep adding patches to Aperture.

As already said, Apple keep their cards very close to their chest and so what we are hearing now is mostly speculation.

If you like Aperture I think it's best to wait and see what 'Photos' has to offer rather than panic and jump ship to Lightroom at this stage.

Back