weekly Asha Film 52 with 52 Different Cameras Challenge WEEK 52: Completed!....

Week 41: Coffee anyone??

Came across this "cafe" whislt searching for refreshments in a nearby town......very basic, "no frills" set up selling only a selection of teas, coffees, fruit juices and pancakes.

The interior was originally the cellar to the adjoining house and is no larger than my lounge at home yet is set out with 2 long tables with benches and 1 smaller square table which could accomodate 20 people max.

A very dingy interior, but quaint at the same time.

The owner didn't look overly impressed when it became apparent i was going to photograph his premises so i bided my time until he went outside to serve a couple of people sat at the one external table.

I know from past experience that this camera is prone to light leakage......some is evident on the lower edge of this particular shot, however I felt it actually added to the picture so decided not to crop it out.

week41no1apocketkodakse.jpg

Camera used: No1A Pocket Kodak Series II c.1923 - 1931

214no1apocketkodakserie.jpg

The film format for this camera was originally 116, however with slight adaptation, 120 film can be used which offers panoramic style results.

When composing the scene in the viewfinder, it has to be remembered that some of what can be seen will not be recorded on the narrower film!

Used the T (Time) mode on the camera which for those who don't know, means when the shutter release depressed, the shutter opens and remains open until the release is depressed a second time.

Typically I would have used a tripod for a shot like this but there simply wasn't room to set one up at the back of the salon so the table i was sat at had to do!

Aperture Fixed F/22
Shutter speed: 8 seconds ( counted approx in my head!)
Ilford HP5 Plus (120 format)
ISO 400
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Still knocking them out Asha, impressed as always. I'd forgotten that Minolta produced a rival to Pentax's Auto 110, I've just run a roll through the Pentax and was fairly underwhelmed at the quality achievable from these small negs, I'll have to check out the Orca 110 film and see if it's any better than the outdated Fuji rubbish I've been using.

Your Soho Pilot shot is a cracker, it looks like it's been shot through a dodgy 1970's plastic tent window, it's amazing what light leaks will do the the 'feel' of a shot.

I love the panoramic internal shot from the Kodak Pocket and especially the light leaks along the bottom, again like I said on Rob's last shot I'm always impressed at the light gathering capabilities of HP5, it must of been pretty dingy but there's a huge amount of information.

Still knocking them out Asha, impressed as always. I'd forgotten that Minolta produced a rival to Pentax's Auto 110, I've just run a roll through the Pentax and was fairly underwhelmed at the quality achievable from these small negs, I'll have to check out the Orca 110 film and see if it's any better than the outdated Fuji rubbish I've been using.

Your Soho Pilot shot is a cracker, it looks like it's been shot through a dodgy 1970's plastic tent window, it's amazing what light leaks will do the the 'feel' of a shot.

I love the panoramic internal shot from the Kodak Pocket and especially the light leaks along the bottom, again like I said on Rob's last shot I'm always impressed at the light gathering capabilities of HP5, it must of been pretty dingy but there's a huge amount of information.

Thanks for the feedback Nick ......

I was quite surprised myself at how the HP5 handled to cafe shot ....I was expecting the doorway to be blown to pieces and very little detail to show up in the darkest shadows.

The ORCA film was shared amongst 3 cameras ...the Minolta MkII, a Voigtlander Vitoret and a Pentax Auto 100....Surprisingly the Pentax offered the least impresive results ....one of which I have used in the "Back to Work" competition.

Perhaps i am expecting too much from a tiny negative but I was dissapointed when i scanned the film.

Admittedly it was the first time i've used this film so didn't know what quality it would give......I'm trying to convince myself that it's not the cameras at fault!!

Nonetheless it was cool to go out and about "lightweight".

I might add that getting the film out of the 110 cassette was no easy task inside a changing bag.

I expected it to break open like 126 cartridges with a couple of twists but no the darned thing snapped in two and left me with the take up side only in my hand which i ended up prising open with a pair of "safety" scissors...fortuanatly i managed to avoid damaging the film.

Week 42: Chute shoot!

Like any other city, Nice has it's fair share of ongoing building contstruction and renovation.

week42kodakfoldingretin.jpg

Camera used: Kodak Retinette 017 c. 1951 - 1954

133kodakretinette017.jpg

A lovely little 35mm format folder.

Has instant shutter speeds from 1/300 down to 1 full second however the shutter is a little sticky on speeds slower than 1/25.

Aperture Fixed F/11
Shutter speed: 1/300
Rollei Superpan 200
ISO 200
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

An interesting shot Asha, just don't Chute the messenger :p

Week 43: Moored up.

week43ensignmidget.jpg

Camera used: Ensign Midget Model 55 c.1934

87ensignmidgetmodel55wi.jpg

Just to give an indication of its size:

dsc00032je.jpg

Originally used E10 film which offered 6 negative frames 1 1/4" x 1 5/8" in size.

I was hoping to take this out and shoot 6 frames by loading it with 35mm film but after spending an hour meddling with old film backing paper cut to size and some "practice" 35mm film, I came to realise that although possible, it was going to require more patience than what i had on that day to actually get the adaptation operational so i opted for my only other option of using cut sheet film and blanking out the rear window and shooting just one shot.

I did try really hard to get everything "right" in this shot.....
I know there is a dark mast imposing in the top left corner which may look better cloned out but overall I'm quite pleased particularly with the composure.

My intention was to have the the name on the first boat (L'Azur) pin sharp but
with the light being flatter than I expected I had to use a slower shutter speed than I would have liked and to add to that the boats were moving in the breeze.

Excuses excuses I know lol .....The shot may, and probably will still have been the same had I been able to use a tripod, 1/100 and no wind!

Nonetheless I don't think it's bad result for such a small piece of equipment dating back to 1934.

What do you guys think??

Aperture Fixed F/11
Shutter speed: 1/25
Adox CHS 25 (out of date May 2011)
ISO 25
Ilford Chemicals
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

I like it, the lack of sharpness doesn't kill it.

Cheers Steve....I'm still adamant on sorting a roll of film to put through it ......since taking this shot, i've actually managed to get a length of 35mm"practice" film loaded with backing paper and all works well......the fun is going to come when I try the same procedure in a changing bag......Best wait for the mrs to be out as i reckon the air may be blue!!! lol

I have enough trouble loading a film to a spiral in those damn bags! Trying to get two bits of tightly wound material to mate up would probably push me over the edge.

How have you worked out how far to wind on?

I love the little Retinas, I've got a IIIc which will be going up soon and the elephant trunking shots brings memories flooding back of a previous life.

But the little Ensign Midget has to be one of my favourite cameras you have used so far and what a cracking little shot you've got from it, you were always going to struggle to get anything sharp at that slow shutter speed particularly a row of boats that are moving constantly even on a calm day, quite an achievement .

I have enough trouble loading a film to a spiral in those damn bags! Trying to get two bits of tightly wound material to mate up would probably push me over the edge.

I went "over the edge" years ago.....:D :D

How have you worked out how far to wind on?

Measure the distance between the film spool and take up spool for eg 7cm

Wherever you decide to mark frame No1 on the backing paper, frame No2 will be 7cm further on and so on ...No3 being another 7cm on etc etc

Generally speaking this works ok as the exposed frame passes away far enough so as not to fog when the next frame is shot.

To be more sure, you can always wind on additional film so that the exposed frame is definetly well onto the take up spool so for instance if the distance between the spools is 7cm, then allow say 9cm or whatever.

The only issue this causes is that you have fewer frames on your length of film.....worth it though if it's an "important" shot.

Tbh each camera is different ...the principal remains the same but always best to play around, try a few test shots ......Perhaps try various distances between the frame numbers to find out which, if any fog. I reckon so long as the exposed frame has gone past the pressure plate then all will be ok.

Now you know the only way of finding out ........IS TO DO IT! :D

Good luck!

the elephant trunking shots brings memories flooding back of a previous life.

"Elephant trunking "....now that's gotta be a southern term! :D

But the little Ensign Midget has to be one of my favourite cameras you have used so far and what a cracking little shot you've got from it, you were always going to struggle to get anything sharp at that slow shutter speed particularly a row of boats that are moving constantly even on a calm day, quite an achievement .

It's not the smallest camera nor the most sophisticated ever made but when you consider the engineering, craftmanship and asthetic detail that went into it in the 1930s, it stands proud above many other larger cameras.

Had I realised the day was going to be somewhat grey and murky I would have loaded 100 iso film and got the max shutter speed so perhaps would have got a sharper result not that i need sharp to be pleased with my shots....good job really given the quality i get from some of this gear!! :D :D

that ensign midget is a neat bit of kit! Good to see you are doing well with you challenge Asha.

It's more than a comfy pocket size too!! lol

Can't believe only 9 weeks left to do........still got plenty of cameras to choose from to complete the challenge.

Asha said:
Can't believe only 9 weeks left to do........still got plenty of cameras to choose from to complete the challenge.

12 weeks for some of us ;) I'm pretty much on track considering I started a few weeks late, still want to beat you though :p

12 weeks for some of us ;) I'm pretty much on track considering I started a few weeks late, still want to beat you though :p

Yeah you're doin alright for a yung un!!:D :D....No chance of beating me though.....I'll always remain ahead of ya..........by a full hour at least:p :p

Week 44: Shorter days with Snowy temperatures for Nice

A little undecided which shot to post for this week tbh so I've put em both up :D

With the daylight hours changing I felt the first shot of the clock tower in the old town was quite appropriate even though I have already posted clock towers in my 52 challenge.

The "lead in" is through the beginnings of some newly constructed gardens.
To the right of the shot is fencing covered in murals of the area showing images of how the this section of town looked throughout the centuries and the changes that have been made to it.....construction work continues on the other side of the fencing!

One of the main rivers that flows through Nice ( The River Paillon) actually flows underneath these gardens. All sorts of buildings including a bus station, ice skating rink and multi storey carparking have been built over the river and have now been demolished with plans of returning the area to a more "green" open space .....something along the lines like it was many years ago.

The second shot is taken from the top of Castle Hill (La Colline du Château).
To one side of Castle Hill is the port of Nice, the other side as can be seen in the photo is Nice town. the old town is easily recognizable as a triangular section at the foot of castle Hill.

The line of more "modern" buildings ( caught in sunlight) run along the far side of the Paillon river mentioned earlier.

Effectively in bygone years the inhabitants of Old Nice were protected from invasion by the mediteranean sea on the south side, the river Paillon on the west, the rock outcrop of Castle hill to the east with the Alpine mountains to the north.

The second shot is looking NW across Nice. If you look closely, there is snow on some of the mountains, with much more snow on the hills a little further north ( out of shot!), hence the temperatures have dropped considerably here in Nice as a reminder , along with the shorter days, that winter has arrived!

week44kodakpony828.jpg

week442kodakpony828.jpg

Camera used: Kodak Pony 828 c.1949 - 1959

135kodakpony828.jpg

The adaptaion that I was hoping to do with the Ensign Midget in week 43, I did for this camera instead as although the two cameras used different film different film, it is possible to adapt 35mm roll film to work in the same manner.

A bit of a faff about with an 828 film spool, film backing paper cut 36mm wide, some tape, a cassette of 35mm film and a pair of scissors, all in a changing bag but managed to sort a "roll" of film which offered 8 frames.

Used a length of AGFA VISTA + 200 film that I purchased from a pound shop when in the UK, cross processed in b&w chemicals and scanned b&w.

Aperture: F/11 (shot 1) F/16 (shot 2)
Shutter speed: 1/100 (shot 1) 1/200 (shot 2)
AGFA VISTA + 200
ISO 200
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Hi Asha, catch up time again from me:bonk:

Week 39, nice cannon! The camera has coped well with the dark and light areas.
Yet another loved camera with case and manual!

Week 40, the light entry has given it a weird ghostly effect!

Week 41, the light leakage here has given the shot quite a pleasing border, if only it could do it on the other edges for some uniformity :-D And it does look like quaint little coffee shop.

Week 42, that Kodak is still really sharp and has produced some great contrast(y) The bright edge down the left side is that on the photo?

Week 43, wow that's a tiny camera, not a bad shot for its dinky size, but boy it sounds like hard work!

Week 44, I like the first shot but the second one is amazing that such an old camera can pick up the detail on the mountains so far away whilst maintaining detail in the foreground!

I've caught up again :) the way I'm going it'll probably be Christmas before I pop in again!

Hi Asha,

It's been a while since I commented but it great to see that you are still be creative with your old camera collection. Do you ever get any comments from people when you are out and about ?

Wow, Asha, just found your thread and spent 30 of the most interesting minutes reading and catching up to the end, what wonderful results you have been having from your varied and rare camera,s. I just love it and a big congratulations for all your efforts in this project, it has given me a lot of joy.

Thanks.

Hi Asha, catch up time again from me:bonk:

Week 42, that Kodak is still really sharp and has produced some great contrast(y) The bright edge down the left side is that on the photo?

Week 43, wow that's a tiny camera, not a bad shot for its dinky size, but boy it sounds like hard work!

I've caught up again :) the way I'm going it'll probably be Christmas before I pop in again!

Hi Marsha,

Thanks for finding time to drop in....as always i'm lagging behind on leaving feedback for other folk :|

I've started to drop back a little with my 52 too although i do have some scanning to do today....hopefully i'll have something to post!
I've ear marked the cameras that i'd like to use to complete the challenge and have indeed already tried to obtain results without much success.......Yes, it can be hard work....very time consuming anyway!!

I'm presuming the bright edge on the left side of week 42 is the white line along the edge of the brickwork???......If so, then yes it's part of the photo / structure of the building.
Dealing with very harsh contrasts can be difficult.......with the strength of the sun and the reflective properties of some surfaces, there can be as many as 6 stops of light difference between one side of a road and the other ( one in sun, the other in shade)......typically it is 3 stops which is much easier to average meter for!

Time to get some more shooting done......need to ensure i'm upto date before visiting the UK in December...don't want to be playing catch up when i get back!

Hi Asha,

It's been a while since I commented but it great to see that you are still be creative with your old camera collection. Do you ever get any comments from people when you are out and about ?

Hi Nick,

Creative???.....well i try but how creative can one get witha fixed F/16 and 1/50!! :D .......sometimes I do get frustrated with the limitations of the gear ......i would never want to not use it, it's just that when shallow DoF etc isn't possible with some of it, the end results resemble nothing much more than a snapshot....saying that most of my shots are like that regardless of kit :D :D

It is too easy to expect more from any given camera/lens set up than what it was originally designed to offer.

As for comments from people.....well that's one reason i usually end up making an error when shooting as I become distracted by their questions and indeed being watched tends to induce a lack of concentration in me...
Saying that, I get immense pleasure in showing, explaining and indeed letting people have a play with the gear.

I was out with a 1930's folder a couple of weeks back which caused a lot of interest for a young lad of about 10 years old......The look of fascination on his face when he could see his dad inverted in the waist level finder just made my day ....naturally i made his day by talking him through adjusting the aperture, shutter and focusing and actually pressing the shutter release.....
His comment of " your camera is older than my grandma" made me grin from ear to ear!:D :D

The usual comments from adults relate to using cameras for which film is no longer available.....they are quite impressed to have come across someone passionate enough to manipulate other formats to work.

Wow, Asha, just found your thread and spent 30 of the most interesting minutes reading and catching up to the end, what wonderful results you have been having from your varied and rare camera,s. I just love it and a big congratulations for all your efforts in this project, it has given me a lot of joy.

Thanks.

Well thank you!....Obviously your passion for film and old gear equates similar to my own.......So nice to know people like yourself enjoy seeing this old gear kept "alive".

Tbh the challenge has indeed been just that......a challenge! The "pressure" of a different camera each week has at times been a little overwhelming so much so that on more than one occasion i felt like packing it in.

I'm glad I haven't as it has "pushed" me to use some of the lesser used cameras in my collection.

All this said i doubt I will do similar next year, I will however be continuing to shoot with all my kit but in a more "leisurely" manner and without doubt posting in the f&c section.

Week 45: Bubbles!

Youngsters enjoying the HUGE bubbles made by the street entertainers in Nice

This is one of those shots that without doubt looks better viewed from a distance (most of my photos are like that!:D) .....the quality is poor, however the scene captured is, for me, quite appealing.

wembleysports.jpg

Camera used: Wembley Sports c. 1950

117wembleysports.jpg

Back to Bakerlite this week.

This particular camera cost £4 17s and 6d when it was first launched by Truvox, a company well known for loudspeaker and radio production, back in 1950....Perhaps camera production was simply a sideline for them?!!

I have used this camera for my 52 simply because of it's different style and operation in so far as the focusing is set by unscrewing the lens barrell from the body to differing distances.

I possess a camera very similar in style and operation ( a Photax Boyer) which produces much better quality shots to this one.

Aperture: F/11
Shutter speed: 1/100
FOMAPAN ACTION 400
ISO 400
Ilfotec LC29
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 46: Keep Fit

Ughh I know, another shot of me :D

A ride out on pushbikes into the local hills and a visit to Aspremont village.......beautifull weather albiet cold especially on the descents.

minolta16iic.jpg

Camera Used: Minolta 16 II c.1960

326minolta16iikit.jpg

An ideal little camera for carrying on the bike.

Uses 16mm film....The cartridges can be reloaded which is what I do by cutting 35mm film in half lengthways.....A 40cm length rolls up and fits perfectly in the cartridge and is enough to offer approx 20 frames each measuring 10 x 14mm !!

The film winds on with a "push/pull" system of the camera ( similar to Minox cameras)

Apertures from F/2.8 - F/16

Shutter speeds...B, 1/30 - 1/500

A selection of slip on filters allow for varying distance focusing from 1.8ft to infinity.

Aperture: F/4
Shutter speed: 1/250
AGFA VISTA + 200
ISO 200
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (1600ppp)

Week 47: Better Half

Only fair to post a portrait of my beloved this time.....

week47six20kodakusamode.jpg

Shot in failing light, handheld, "wide open" F/6.3 @ 1/25

Camera Used:confused:ix-20 Kodak UK model c: 1932 / 1933

38six20camerausa.jpg

This camera originally used 620 format film which is no longer available, however by transfering 120 film onto the 620 spools, the camera can still be used as originally intended and produce 8 frames 6 x 9cm on a roll.

A very "art deco" camera....one of my favourite folders with perfectly operating mechanics but sadly the bellows are very tired and invite lots of light entry.

Used in dim /failing light as i did with this shot, it is possible to still obtain reasonable results.

Like with most of these types of camera, the focusing distance has to be judged or measured with a rangefinder then the focusing ring set to the required distance.

Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/25
ROLLEI RPX 400
ISO 400
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 48: Vorsprung durch Technik

Came across these two guys filming a promotional video for the Audi A1 Sportback. Unfortuanatley I haven't captured the car in the shot but never mind, my interest was on watching the film crew, not the car!

There are lines on the image which have occured as the film has passed over the film guide rollers inside the camera.

week481fexultrafextlr.jpg

This picture shows the hairpin route the car was taking.

week482fexultrafextlr.jpg

Camera Used: Fex Ultra Reflex TLR c: 1952

Apertures: Normal (F/11) and Intense (F/16)

Shutter 1/25 and 1/100

Film format 620

week48229fexultrareflex.jpg

Fomapan 400 Action (120 format film respooled onto 620 spool)
ISO 400
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Hi Asha, I love that one of the film crew! Yet again I nearly forgot I was looking at film shots and was going to suggest cloning the dead end sign out. I really must try to remember how easy we have it these days!

Hi Asha, I love that one of the film crew! Yet again I nearly forgot I was looking at film shots and was going to suggest cloning the dead end sign out. I really must try to remember how easy we have it these days!

Hi Mark....yeah you digi shooters...easy life you have :D

Although shot on film, the negs are scanned digitally so in a sense they are a digital shot of sorts.

I actually did consider cloning the sign out as it is a bit obtrusive ....if I decide to print the shot then i will probably take the time out to remove it.

Btw, I do shoot digi occassionally, in fact I'm attending a meet later this month when in the UK and will be shooting digital ......could do to practice a little before leaving here as have hardly used my D80 in quite a while!

Week 49: Bridge over the River Kwai??....Nope River Bevera!

This is the River Bevera which flows through the mountain village of Sospel, litterally splitting the village into two halves.....fortuanatly there is a bridge for the locals as following heavy rain or melting snows, the river is a raging torrent!!

week49detectivedropplat.jpg

Camera Used: Detective Drop Plate Camera c: ???

Unsure of the age of this camera....Detective drop plate cameras were available from the turn of the 20th century....I don't think this is a very early version as it has an array of shutter speeds and other adjustments which possibly came along later. However it is knocking on in years (a little like me but in better nick :D)

It is a huge think to lugg around (photo includes a 35mm film cassette for comparison) and would have been much heavier in it's day when loaded with a full set of 12 glass plates 9x12cm.

It presently houses 4 plate holders with sheet film adaptors which stand vertically behind each other in the rear of the camera.

Once the shot has been taken, the knob located on the front at the top between the two viewers, is pulled out.....this drops the exposed plate holder horizontally into the bottom of the camera thus revealing the next plate holder that was stacked behind it.

A very simple but clever idea that works brilliantly.

The plate holders are removed and the film/ plates developed......the cool thing being that the exposed plates can be removed at any time ( in the dark of course) even if there are some unexposed plates left inside the camera ready to be shot.
Apertures: F/8 - F/64

Shutter: 4 speeds listed as "Ultra Rapid " ("Very fast" approx 1/100),
"Rapid" ("Fast" approx 1/50),
"Lent" ("Slow" possibly approx 1/25)
"Pose" ("Bulb" for long exposures)

Focusing 2 meters - infinity

img0003qze.jpg

Shutter speed: 1/50 ( Rapid setting)
Fomapan 100 sheet film 9 x 12cm
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Thats a Monster!

Nice shot, though it looks like image shack has over compressed it or something, the buildings on the left look a little "painted on"

Thats a Monster!

Nice shot, though it looks like image shack has over compressed it or something, the buildings on the left look a little "painted on"

Yeah it's no good for street! :LOL:

I'll try uploading the pic again later see if it makes any difference....haven't had that problem before though.

Week 50: Kit DOES matter! lol

Although I believe it is the photographers skill that obtains good results, there are occassions where, without doubt, kit plays a definite part.....this weeks shots prove that point.:p

Two shots taken by 2 different photographers ( myself and a fellow TPer out here on holiday).....One shot in bright sunshine by myself, the other on a grey, wet murky day with light levels approx 4 stops under what would have been ideal to test the abilities of one of my "sophisticated digital photographer" friends!:D

Focusing and sharpness of the lens is pretty much non existant.

The scene resembles very little to what is seen through the viewfinder.

Aperture (F/16) and shutter (1/50) are fixed and the camera is prone to light entry!

The negative is 18mm x 18mm.

Although virtually unrecognisable, the first shot is of a nearby village called Eze, perched high above the Mediteranean sea.

Silhouted buildings can be made out to the top right of the shot along with the sea horizon in the lower middle of the pic.

The hillside to the center and right is an ornamental garden housing a number of sculptures.

Sadly the lighting was pants and even with pushing the film 2 stops in developing and playing around in PP there is very little in the way of detail.:(

The santa shot however was taken in brilliant sunshine, nonetheless the quality of the image available from this subminiature camera is consistantly carp!:D

Why bother to shoot with it then??.....for fun! and of course so I can post it up in my 52!

week50merlinjr.jpg

week50merlin.jpg

Camera Used: Merlin Subminiature c. 1930s

Linky for more info on this camera here

merlin2z.jpg

Aperture: F/16
Shutter speed: 1/50
Adox CHS 100 sheet film cut to size
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Jeepers that's a tiny camera! I'm suprised you can get any sort of results out of something that small. I'm sure I would lose it in my pocket every time I tried to use it :D

Jeepers that's a tiny camera! I'm suprised you can get any sort of results out of something that small. I'm sure I would lose it in my pocket every time I tried to use it :D

lol...I thought I'd go from one extreme to the other with camera size between weeks 49 and 50.

Was looking at a humendous wet plate camera the other day in a local shop which makes all my gear look miniscule....I posted a pic of a rather large wooden plate holder in the new toys thread a few weeks back......I reckon I may have found the camera for it:nuts:

Hard to believe that the person taking that shot at Eze could claim to be a pro! Just about the worst shot I've ever seen. Saying it wasn't a particularly sophisitcated camera is a poor excuse. A bad workman blames the tool. :LOL:

Hard to believe that the person taking that shot at Eze could claim to be a pro! Just about the worst shot I've ever seen. Saying it wasn't a particularly sophisitcated camera is a poor excuse. A bad workman blames the tool. :LOL:

:LOL:Good on ya for having a go Jon.....I'm sure you will have captured a keeper with the Box Brownie though...We'll see soon enough once I finish the film off.

Perhaps it's best if you just take the "easy" :p route and shoot digital!!!!:D

jonryancaptioned.jpg

Many thanks for taking the time out to meet up Jon....It was a pleasure to spend some time with you and your better half.

As they say here "A la prochaine" ( "Until next time")

Week 51: Dive in for lunch!

"La Reserve" ....What used to be a fabulous outdoor restaurant near the Port of Nice.

The shot was timed for waves crashing in the foreground not far from my feet but due to the difficulties in composing, they have not appeared on the negative.

Full sun was also shining in towards the camera lens just to the right of the scene. For a camera of this era/age to handle that is imo quite impressive.

week51no2bullseye.jpg

Below is an image ( obtained from the internet (This is not my image!) showing how the restaurant looked back in the 19th century.

Along with some history :

The area of the Reserve begins its history in 1862 by a wooden pavilion where citizens came to eat shellfish. In 1875, a hotel restaurant with Italian architecture with gazebo and terrace was born. A cement sailboat was built on a rock with seating for customers... At the foot of the building, a sheltered beach welcomed new holidaymakers to Nice.

The diving boards came about sometime throughout the 20th century but are no longer in use.

The La reserve restaurant still exists but only as part of the main hotel building.

lareserverestaurant.jpg

Camera Used: Kodak No2 Bulls-Eye 1898 Model c.1898 - 1904

347kodakno2bullseyespec.jpg

This camera is my oldest box camera ....at least 108 years old!! complete with its original red velvet lined leather case.

Originally used 101 format film which produced negatives 3.5" x 3.5" .

The film is no longer available but 120 format film can be used although what is seen in the view finder is cropped considerably.

This camera has undergone repairs during it's lifetime to ensure it remains light tight and usable.

The shutter mechanism does have a tendancy to jam at slower speeds, these being 1/25, 1/50 and 1/100 along with B & T modes.

Aperture range from F/4 through to F/128

Aperture: F/32
Fomapan Action 400
ISO 400
Ilfotec LC29
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 52: Completed!...Thanks to these guys.

Here is the 52nd and final image of my challenge showing the cameras that enabled me to obtain the previous 51 shots:

Obviously I would never have been able to do such a challenge without the gear, however, it has been the encouragement and feedback from TP members that has given me the drive to complete what has, I have to say, been one h*** of a challenge.

I look forward to continuing shooting with these cameras ( and others in my collection) throughout 2013 and sharing the results wether they be good bad or indifferent.

A big thank you to you all (y)

week52marionwholeplate.jpg

A shot of the actual negative simply to show it was shot on whole plate film, producing a negative approx 21 x 16cm:

week52wholeplatenegativ.jpg

Camera Used: Marion Whole ( Full) Plate Tailboard Camera

week52marioncowholeplat.jpg

A little bit of info here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Marion

Difficult to put a precise age on the camera, however the company history of Marion & Co along with changes in their London address places it somewhere between c. 1866 and 1901, after which date Marion & Co became a Ltd company through until 1921 with an address change in 1913

Aperture: F/16
Shutter speed: Long exposure of 2 minutes ( to include recipricol failure)
Ilford FP4 Whole plate sheet film 6.5" x 8.5"
ISO 125
Ilfotec LC29
Canoscan 8800F (1600ppp)

Asha - Apologies for not stopping by and commenting during the year. There's been plenty going on with keeping up to speed with the"official" version. Every credit for doing this film based over the 12 months. It was hard enough doing it on digital. More importantly well done and congratulations on completing your 52.

Back