weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

Nice Glow, Iain, well exposed and well executed. The reflection on the top right of the bulb is a cracking addition.

Crit....hmmm, I'd like to see a tad more on the top.

Good show :clap:

Cheers Andy (y)
I would have liked more on the top as well Andy but I was at full stretch painting this, the light wasn't bright enough to light the top of the tunnel.

Well, that is a cracker Iain, really like it. A great bit of light painting, or is that light drawing? Can't really fault it.

Thanks Michael (y), I would go with light drawing myself :LOL:

superb can't fault it in any way :clap:

Cheers Allan (y)

Bloody hell Iain, give the rest of us a chance will you!

Brilliant! I can come up with ideas like this, but it's the execution that gets me: how on earth can anyone's spacial awareness be good enough to draw that in mid air, right down to the perfectly placed catchlight! Is there a trick to it?

Crit? How about "stop showing off"?

Wonderful stuff!

Hi ya matey

bloomin' heck..... can't even begin to crit your Glow image.....how the hell do you manage to draw in thin air & get it so spot on ? even down to the catchlight....fan bloomin tastic mister...:clap::clap:

Brilliant! I can come up with ideas like this, but it's the execution that gets me: how on earth can anyone's spacial awareness be good enough to draw that in mid air, right down to the perfectly placed catchlight! Is there a trick to it?

Wonderful stuff!

:LOL: Massive thanks for your comments Mark (y)
Drawing it took a couple of goes to get everything aligned, catchlight, filament etc.
A little "how I did it":
I was positioned in the middle of the tunnel, I found a dry patch of ground and used that as my reference point to work over. The base of the lightbulb is about the width of the dry area. You will notice that the top of the thread of the bulb is level with a line on the brick course at the sides of the tunnel , that was my next reference.
The main part of the bulb was me at full stretch, drawing the curve.
The catchlight I could line up with the arch at the tunnel entrance which as I looked at it was just inside my full stretch sweep to draw the outline IYSWIM. The filament I used the ground reference point to draw it inside the bulb. Are you still reading this? :LOL:
Essentially, it was about reference points which I could take from my position, go back, look at the camera and adjust position accordingly.

Hi ya matey

bloomin' heck..... can't even begin to crit your Glow image.....how the hell do you manage to draw in thin air & get it so spot on ? even down to the catchlight....fan bloomin tastic mister...:clap::clap:

:LOL: Massive thanks to you too Lynne (y)
If you need some bedtime reading, have a look at my "how I did it" above, guaranteed to put anyone to sleep. ;)

very creative and clever.. nicely done... and a bit of sky glow at the end of the tunnel too ;)

very creative and clever.. nicely done... and a bit of sky glow at the end of the tunnel too ;)

Thanks John (y)
I meant the sky glow at the end of the tunnel.........err not really :LOL: but I will have the reference anyway.

Another brilliant shot Iain, I really can't crit it and would have been soo pleased if I'd managed to get a shot like this!:) Thanks for the explanation and I won't forget reference points should I be brave enough to try this!!:):)

wow that is amazing - I know how hard it is to do this stuff, but thank heavens for railway tunnels :) :clap:

Southdowns said:

Wonderful stuff!

:agree: Especially the bit about showing off, but I think I said that already on Flickr ;)

It's just too clever for words:clap:

Oh and I have three pebble feet prints framed and awaiting a wall space! They look fabulous, thanks again :)

Brilliant. Great explanation of how you set it up as well. I like the addition of the catchlight as well. It just adds to the overall image.

Thanks Peter, I am surprised anyone read to the end of my "how I did it" explanation :LOL:
I am paricularly pleased with the catchlight, it came to me in a moment of inspiration when I was mucking about under that dark railway bridge :D

Another brilliant shot Iain, I really can't crit it and would have been soo pleased if I'd managed to get a shot like this!:) Thanks for the explanation and I won't forget reference points should I be brave enough to try this!!:)

Thanks Sarah, its well worth a go at this light drawing, start simple then get creative, the outcome I think is quite satisfying.

wow that is amazing - I know how hard it is to do this stuff, but thank heavens for railway tunnels :) :clap:

Thanks Summer, yes the railway tunnel was a great find, I will certainly revisit it.

:agree: Especially the bit about showing off, but I think I said that already on Flickr ;)

It's just too clever for words:clap:

Oh and I have three pebble feet prints framed and awaiting a wall space! They look fabulous, thanks again :)

:LOL: Thanks Marsha

You're welcome!
I am glad you like the prints, please send me a photograph of them when they find the wall space. :)

Late again :LOL:
I was away from home for most of the week for a family issue in Scotland (God's country btw ;)) so just managed to get the time to do this once I was home. C&C welcome as always.

Round by iain blake, on Flickr

Late again :LOL:
I was away from home for most of the week for a family issue in Scotland (God's country btw ;)) so just managed to get the time to do this once I was home. C&C welcome as always.

Round by iain blake, on Flickr

This is very strange :thinking: I've just said in another thread that they beat me to Negative. I've just this moment taken another Negative photograph and I've done the very same...but not with an egg :D

Anyway. Another cracker, excuse the pun :D, well composed and the thought process is superb, Round become oval. Nice and sharp, liking the processing and border.

Crit, well, I always like to leave something and it can, I guess, be viewed and über critical, but slight warm spot on the top of the egg.....

Cheers and posted well within time....maybe time enough for another :clap:

This is very strange :thinking: I've just said in another thread that they beat me to Negative. I've just this moment taken another Negative photograph and I've done the very same...but not with an egg :D

Anyway. Another cracker, excuse the pun :D, well composed and the thought process is superb, Round become oval. Nice and sharp, liking the processing and border.

Crit, well, I always like to leave something and it can, I guess, be viewed and über critical, but slight warm spot on the top of the egg.....

Cheers and posted well within time....maybe time enough for another :clap:

Thanks Andy, yes a slight hotspot as you say but it was again a compromise in throwing enough light to create the shadow whilst trying not to blow the highlights.
:LOL: Not posted within time I'm afraid this is for round so a day late.
I am still in the thinking of an idea stage for negative, still plenty time though. Cheers again (y)

yet another really clever shot Iain... it took me a while, wondering, and reading to realise what I was looking at and why the shadow was egg shaped :bonk:... very well done.

Great one Iain :) Very clever thinking, and very nicely lit.

Like it Iain, nice lighting giving a great shadow. The pic really draws my eyes in.

Thanks Michael, as mentioned above, the lighting was a compromise in the end but its just about held all the detail so quite happy with it.

yet another really clever shot Iain... it took me a while, wondering, and reading to realise what I was looking at and why the shadow was egg shaped :bonk:... very well done.

Cheers John, it appeals to me that the image took a wee bit of working out.

Great one Iain :) Very clever thinking, and very nicely lit.

Thanks Mark, as said lighting compromise but happy with it.

Thanks for popping by T :)
Are you going to be doing a 52 next year then?

Hmmm well miss indecisive is me!.. i think so, someone is triple daring me to go straight in for the 365:eek: but i'm just not sure. At least with the 52 i get a week to be indecisive lol :D

Hmmm well miss indecisive is me!.. i think so, someone is triple daring me to go straight in for the 365:eek: but i'm just not sure. At least with the 52 i get a week to be indecisive lol :D

You could always do both :D
Thats not as mad as it seems, start off with the 365 making sure you get at least one which can go towards the 52 theme for that week. If the 365 becomes too much, you can then default to the 52 simples ;)

You could always do both :D
Thats not as mad as it seems, start off with the 365 making sure you get at least one which can go towards the 52 theme for that week. If the 365 becomes too much, you can then default to the 52 simples ;)

And i thought i was mental!!:p

On a serious note tho, i get what you are saying and i guess it is quite doable, the thing with the 365 is having to get that shot every single day, it worries me, i don't know maybe that could be a good thing.....

:thinking: head on! lol:D

And i thought i was mental!!:p

On a serious note tho, i get what you are saying and i guess it is quite doable, the thing with the 365 is having to get that shot every single day, it worries me, i don't know maybe that could be a good thing.....

:thinking: head on! lol:D

Its easy for me to say T but then i have never done a 365. I suppose I would fear that it would become a chore to take a photograph every day and quality would suffer. A 52 is quite enough for me :D

blakester said:
Its easy for me to say T but then i have never done a 365. I suppose I would fear that it would become a chore to take a photograph every day and quality would suffer. A 52 is quite enough for me :D

Yep exactly! Well I guess I have 2weeks to decide! :)

love the lightbulb.... sorry not been reading through 52's too much lately.... some really good stuff in here mate...

Yep exactly! Well I guess I have 2weeks to decide! :)

I say go for it T. It gets you thinking, its fun (most of the time ;)) and it's an achievement when finished.

love the lightbulb.... sorry not been reading through 52's too much lately.... some really good stuff in here mate...

Cheers Lynton, no worries about reading through the 52. Thanks for looking/commenting.

Simple yet clever for round (y) I'm desperately trying to find something to critique but can't :coat:

I hope everything is ok back home.

:LOL: Thanks Marsha, simple suits me :LOL:

Just some dramas that life throws at us all now and again. Things could be better but thats a discussion for another time and place. I appreciate your concern. Thankyou :)

Hi Iain

Round - that is very good. Creative use of a prop and lighting - simple setup on the face of it and great outcome.

Thanks Alan, it was a very simple set up, the results of which I am pleased.

Another great shot. I like the fact that the round object is actually oval with the shadow. The PP and border work with this as well. Nice one.

Thanks Peter, again not an original take but one I am quite pleased with. A simple set up, it keeps me up to date now. I am struggling for ideas for negative at the moment though.

Hi Iain, I really like that! Great use of negative space, and an interesting subject. I'd have liked to see the lighting even all the way to the top of the shot, but that's my only crit :)

Negative, bang on these and another minimal photograph that works well. Even lightening has been mentioned and it looks a tad soft on my iPad:thinking:

Cheers...you doing next year??

Back