Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will never be able to afford one of those bad boy cameras, too expensive for me. I have had the a200 for a few months now, having come over from the darkside, and I have to say I love it. My next natural step will be to go to the a300/350 and then call it quits. I have no additional lens, only the the kit lens and I am quite happy with it at the moment but I would like a 70 - 300mm however I have heard some horror stories that the alpha strips the AF threads as its very aggressive, has anyone else suffered this problem. Anyway I am not that concerned about getting the biggest and best, my little a200 is just great as it is. Keep on clicking peeps and enjoy :)

i've not had any problems with my sony 75-300..it's been a great lens.i've just sold it,but only because of my purchasing of the 70-200.i was in cardiff today,and a camera shop was selling the tamron 70-300 macro for £100...sounds like a bargain to me..

i've not had any problems with my sony 75-300..it's been a great lens.i've just sold it,but only because of my purchasing of the 70-200.i was in cardiff today,and a camera shop was selling the tamron 70-300 macro for £100...sounds like a bargain to me..

Agree about the 75-300. I originally got mine as part of the twin kit with my A100 two years ago and I still use it today (In fact, use it on a paid job last weekend!). Having said that, I've heard the Tamron 70-300 is a very good lens for the money.

I've got another paying job tomorrow. The management at work want me to take some photos from inside the warehouse of the machinery we use so the photos can go into a new training guide for new starters. In all about 12 photos required. Think I'll use the 24-70 f2.8 for this job, although I may take along the 16-80 to use the wide end if need be.

I would like a 70 - 300mm however I have heard some horror stories that the alpha strips the AF threads as its very aggressive, has anyone else suffered this problem.

I think you will find that this happens with certain Sigma zoom lenses, I don't think you will have this problem with a nice Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di (which I may just have for sale in a week or two for velly nice plice)
:D

I've got another paying job tomorrow. The management at work want me to take some photos from inside the warehouse of the machinery we use so the photos can go into a new training guide for new starters. In all about 12 photos required. Think I'll use the 24-70 f2.8 for this job, although I may take along the 16-80 to use the wide end if need be.

Good luck for tomorrow. I had 3 jobs yesterday and spent half of today processing the pics. Saturday evening I've got to do the Polo club's end of season party. Tomorrow I sleep methinks! :D

Well I will never be able to afford one of those bad boy cameras, too expensive for me. I have had the a200 for a few months now, having come over from the darkside, and I have to say I love it. My next natural step will be to go to the a300/350 and then call it quits. I have no additional lens, only the the kit lens and I am quite happy with it at the moment but I would like a 70 - 300mm however I have heard some horror stories that the alpha strips the AF threads as its very aggressive, has anyone else suffered this problem. Anyway I am not that concerned about getting the biggest and best, my little a200 is just great as it is. Keep on clicking peeps and enjoy :)

Gaz - I feel the same. I bought my a100 with the twin lens kit and have just acquired a Minolta 50mm AF 1.7 - but I think that's it for me! I'd feel guilty (and skint!) if I spent much more. Guilt is a real spoiler - I wouldn't enjoy a top end camera knowing how much I'd spent on it!

Fair do's to those who want and can afford the shiny kit. Personally, if I took a dozen pictures every day for the rest of my life, I don't think I'd outgrow all the possibilities a basic level of kit can offer. My approach to limited funds is to use my imagination to compensate. Creative thinking really makes the most of the gear you have.

Gaz - I feel the same. I bought my a100 with the twin lens kit and have just acquired a Minolta 50mm AF 1.7 - but I think that's it for me! I'd feel guilty (and skint!) if I spent much more. Guilt is a real spoiler - I wouldn't enjoy a top end camera knowing how much I'd spent on it!

Fair do's to those who want and can afford the shiny kit. Personally, if I took a dozen pictures every day for the rest of my life, I don't think I'd outgrow all the possibilities a basic level of kit can offer. My approach to limited funds is to use my imagination to compensate. Creative thinking really makes the most of the gear you have.

i agree that being limited to a certain amount of kit makes you think more creatively.i'm also on very limited funds,and have only been able to get some nice glass by selling my bike..hence one hobby giving way for my photography.i'm no experienced tog,but having the 70-200 has made a huge difference to my shots..for sure...

or is it i never feel guilty about spoiling myself :LOL:

having spent 27 years bringing up a family,i'm gonna get what i want/can as you only have one shot in life..this is not a trial run :D

so long as you enjoy it..that's all that matters...

I think you will find that this happens with certain Sigma zoom lenses, I don't think you will have this problem with a nice Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di (which I may just have for sale in a week or two for velly nice plice)
:D
I will be watching:eek:

Just been and tried the new exposure bracketing that came with firmware 4 on the A700, it works a treat. Now able to use -2 0 +2 values and this will come in handy for exposure blending shots.

Just been and tried the new exposure bracketing that came with firmware 4 on the A700, it works a treat. Now able to use -2 0 +2 values and this will come in handy for exposure blending shots.

Looks like v4 could be a big hit. I'm impressed with the ISO handling and the ability to turn off the in camera noise reduction.

You bought the 2x converter yet? Stan and I are waiting for a review. It's just dropped in price as well! ;) :D

always tempted..but i'm gonna do some research before i decide yay or nay..

(or wait for either you or JPS to commit):LOL:

Told you, I've got until next summer! :D

Having said that, I did get a bit of useful info when I asked about it on another forum:

All teleconverters tend to reduce the absolute image quality to some degree but by and large OEM converters which are normally limited to use with the top end range of lenses minimise this about as much as is possible. Even with the Sony 2x converter your 70-200mm is unlikely to be quite as good as a 100-400m of similar optical quality would be let alone a 400mm prime. In print though unless you crop heavily or print very large it's unlikely that the difference is that significant.

Additionally the converter is rather lighter and cheaper than either an additional longer zoom or prime lens...

For a photographer who requires 400mm on a regular basis a dedicated lens is the probably the best option but for anyone who only needs 400m on the odd occasion a 200mm lens and 2x converter may well be more cost effective. I strongly suspect that the 70-200+2x combo will still give better image quality than many cheaper long zooms can manage.

AF issues usually only occur when the effective aperture of the pairing (actual aperture x converter strength) exceeds minimum usable aperture of the AF system. For instance on my Canons an f4 lens plus 2x converter gives an effective aperture of f8 but the maximum usable aperture for AF is f5.6. With a dedicated Canon converter the AF would be turned off - Canon converters report the real aperture to the camera and this disables the AF system. With a non-Canon converter the AF is not disabled but it does tend to become a little bit sluggish and tends to hunt a bit before locking on, for effective apertures beyond f8 it just hunts without ever locking on...

useful information marc..i've just asked the question on the dyxum forums...

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36147

so i'll post any useful replies i get on here if it helps...(y)

JPS..the 1.4X works very well with the 70-200. AF is still very quick,and IQ isn't affected so far as i can tell...

these shots were taken with the combo last weekend..

DSC01051_filteredcopy.jpg

DSC01022_filteredcopy.jpg

:shrug:

heres a reply off the dyxum forums.....

I have tried 70-200/2.8 with a 2X and image quality is not as good as 1.4X and AF performance is slower as well.
You'll need to stopped down to at least F8-F11 to getter better results.
You should try the 2X with your 70-200/2.8 and decide whether the image quality and AF performance meets your expectation.

IMO, using a prime 400mm lenses and or using 200/2.8 + 2X will get much better results than using 70-200/2.8 + 2X
so the results aren't that favourable it would seem...stopping down to F/8-F/11 would mean a big increase in ISO to get the right shutter speed in poor light..possibly

so the results aren't that favourable it would seem...stopping down to F/8-F/11 would mean a big increase in ISO to get the right shutter speed in poor light..possibly

Hmmm. Unfortunately I would need the zoom so a 400mm prime would not be great (Not to mention bloomin expensive, if you can even get one for the Alpha). Maybe best not to sell the Bigma just yet.

BTW, your pics with the 1.4x TC look great to me! (y)

Hmmm. Unfortunately I would need the zoom so a 400mm prime would not be great (Not to mention bloomin expensive, if you can even get one for the Alpha). Maybe best not to sell the Bigma just yet.

BTW, your pics with the 1.4x TC look great to me! (y)

i'd love a 400 F/2.8 prime for the wildlife and motorsports shots,but there ain't no way my missus is gonna let me have one..PERIOD!!! :eek:

maybe i'll just stick with the 1.4X TC and just crop to get the shot that i want,and use the dosh to get the A700 instead :thinking:

maybe i'll just stick with the 1.4X TC and just crop to get the shot that i want,and use the dosh to get the A700 instead :thinking:

Sounds like a plan. I'm seriously tempted to get a second A700 body myself. Waiting until they come under £600.

BTW just got this response on the 2x TC thread:

Nig has pretty well covered the subject but you should also remember that manufacturers design/optimise their tele-converters to work specifically with their 'top-end' pro lenses and to provide very good results from wide open in the case of the 70 - 200, f2.8 whereas with OEM converters you would have to stop down a stop or so to obtain comparable results.
The main benefits you will probably see with the 70 - 200 SSM and 2x converter is much faster and accurate AF and better Boké and hopefully better images all round

Hi everyone i got a a100 and just the kit lens was looking to buy a zoom lens either a 70 - 200 or 75 - 300 any manufactures you recommend ? i live in tredegar wales are there any shops i could visit i have walters photo video near me but they are not very good stockists of sony fitting lenses any answers will be appreciated

Hi everyone i got a a100 and just the kit lens was looking to buy a zoom lens either a 70 - 200 or 75 - 300 any manufactures you recommend ?

How much are you looking to spend?
If you are on a low budget, then Tamron, Sigma or maybe a second hand Minolta AF lens. It's possible to pick something up for around £100.00 (or even less)....
Don't know anything about shops in your area though...

Hi everyone i got a a100 and just the kit lens was looking to buy a zoom lens either a 70 - 200 or 75 - 300 any manufactures you recommend ? i live in tredegar wales are there any shops i could visit i have walters photo video near me but they are not very good stockists of sony fitting lenses any answers will be appreciated

hi mark,and welcome :wave:

the camera centre in cardiff are doing the tamron 70-300 macro for £99.99p,a bargain i would say.details here...

http://www.cameracentrecardiff.co.uk/

thanks stan i will be phoning them to see if there is any in stock

maybe possibly upgrade to a alpha 350 if the boss ( the wife ) allows
any idea how much i would get for the a100 or is it worth keeping ? any suggestions greatly appreciated markf

Tell you what guys, after my 'paid job' yesterday at work, it has become apparent that my poxy Jessops tripod is not longer suited to the A700 with the 24-70 hulk of a lens on the front. Even when you tighten the 'pod as far as you can without breaking it, the camera and lens combination is still too heavy and there is too much play in the head.

It's only an el cheapo £50 one that I got the other year, so looks like more money to dish out soon for a stronger support.

any idea how much i would get for the a100 or is it worth keeping ? any suggestions greatly appreciated markf

Unless you are desperate for the trade in money, I would keep the A100. I have kept mine and is ideal as a second unit or indeed to let the Boss use if she ever takes up the hobby or even comes out and takes a photo or two with you.

Hi MarkF, On ebay you can expect about £200 for an A100 with kit 18-70mm lens.

hi mark..i got £200 for my A100 private sale,but i was only offered £120 trade in price with the camera centre in swansea.either sell it privately,or i'd keep it as a second/backup camera.i upgraded to the A350 about 6 weeks ago,and it's a little belter...i doubt you'd be dissapointed.

they had the lens in the window on thursday,and i was looking at it,so they should have one in stock.

Tell you what guys, after my 'paid job' yesterday at work, it has become apparent that my poxy Jessops tripod is not longer suited to the A700 with the 24-70 hulk of a lens on the front. Even when you tighten the 'pod as far as you can without breaking it, the camera and lens combination is still too heavy and there is too much play in the head.

It's only an el cheapo £50 one that I got the other year, so looks like more money to dish out soon for a stronger support.

i have a 190XPROB with the 804RC2 head,and it supports the A350 and the 70-200 no problem.if you're over 6ft tall..opt for the 055 XPROB.

Quick question...

This memory card:
Ultra II CF 4GB by SanDisk
is compatible with my A100 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back