canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be loverly to be ITK but at this point am confused.. is the camera a croc then?

It could be a reverse logic thing...

Don't let files out to keep demand down as they are producing so few on the manufacturing line :bonk:

Or they need to do work on the firmware and the guy who writes it was on holiday in the UK but has got lost at Heathrow Terminal 5 :D

I think with the way people are always wanting to pixel peep and find fault companies do want to control pre release files. The Internet can be a very damaging place with all the bogs and what not.

Having said that the garbage canon released initially had most of us asking questions.

Which means the cameras that are out there aren't up to scratch for one reason or another.

Other than firmware they can't be changing things now surely.

You can have the best product in the world but if people are deliberately trying to find fault with something they will.

Especially when it comes to something like a photo where there's also the user to take into account. Personally the files seen here are much much better than the ones canon officially released.

So is it a pre-release thing or not?

If the pre-release models are up to scratch why don't they let pros who they give them to post files. If you give it to a pro before it's officially released I am sure you'd expect them to be able to produce stonking work - unless they think firmware updates will fixes things they aren't happy with.

:rules:...NDA...:muted:

Ivan - I perfectly understand an NDA and maybe things will become clearer once it's released.

However I suspect once it's released these things tend to be forgotten.

Ivan

In AI Servo does the fcosu point light up red? I read on Canonrumours that it doesn't.

Below is some technical information about why (correct me if we’re wrong).
The transmissive LCD is the issue with both the 5D Mark III and the 1D X. Despite greatly improved AF, the exposure is affected by the red light of the AF point. This is why they do not light up in AI servo just prior to the exposure reading being made.

Just to clear things up, no NDA involved just a question of timing.

Ivan

In AI Servo does the fcosu point light up red? I read on Canonrumours that it doesn't.

Below is some technical information about why (correct me if we’re wrong).
The transmissive LCD is the issue with both the 5D Mark III and the 1D X. Despite greatly improved AF, the exposure is affected by the red light of the AF point. This is why they do not light up in AI servo just prior to the exposure reading being made.

You can set that up as you like in the options menu. (or at least it was so in the one I had)
***EDIT***
To be clear, I did not mess around with it too much. I do recall seeing it in configuration menus, But, it may have been for one shot AF. In AI servo the focusing point would light up upon selection but, it did not light up whilst tracking or shooting.

Also, I shoot in manual exposure so, I don't know if having the focusing point light up red whilst tracking has any effect in how the camera calculates exposure..

Last edited:
Canon are holding on to it so that they can put it up against the Nikon D5 :puke:

Would love to see what's really happening at Canon HQ, bet there has been a few sleepless nights/firings/meetings in recent months.
It's looking like Canon themselves don't really know what's been going on.

Wonder if marketing wanted the announcement before the product was anywhere near ready?

Wonder if marketing wanted the announcement before the product was anywhere near ready?

No that never happens....

I want them out and to be superb. The sooner that they are out, the sooner 2 years are up when I'll be able to afford one...

OK OK I give up :( whats NDA :(

Non Disclosure Agreement.

They let you the camera but you aren't allowed to write about. They will have all the T&Cs in the NDA.

So WEX will have all the details beforehand for example so that they can update their website as soon as it's announced.

Or you can have the camera but not post any photos.

Last edited:
NDA stands for Non-Disclosure Agreement (although National Doughnut Agency would be more interesting)

I really hope it's not been delayed again.

I held off on the 5diii initially as the first dx delay didn't seem bad, then pushed to June... If things are as bad as the canon rumours site seem to want to make out we won't be seeing the dx in production models for many many months.

I guess as there has been a few issues in ore production models to iron out they either don't want another 1diii fiasco, or this is another 1diii........

I think that they will get it right. Why don't they just announce it when it's ready for full production.

I initially suspected that it was just firmware but to delay it this much does suggest a hardware fix.

Oh and so far it about 227 days since Canon announced this camera :bonk:

Considering some of the stuff that I'm reading about the D4, you should be seriously glad that Canon aren't releasing the 1Dx until it's ready and passed proofing!

Where's that Mark?

..and colour rendition, and focus in general...

Funny that, I would have expected Mr Rob Galbraith to give the Nikon D4 a savage negative review. Yet and, even though it has all those problems you mention, his silence is deafening.

Me thinks it may have something to do with all that revenue he gets from advertising Nikon products in his website.

I can't wait to read his 1Dx review.....:notworthy:

Yep no review on his website that I can see.

Funny that, I would have expected Mr Rob Galbraith to give the Nikon D4 a savage negative review. Yet and, even though it has all those problems you mention, his silence is deafening.

Me thinks it may have something to do with all that revenue he gets from advertising Nikon products in his website.

I can't wait to read his 1Dx review.....:notworthy:

I'm not quite so cynical! :p

From what I understand it isn't a cross body problem (ie not every unit is affected) and the manifestation is somewhat erratic.

However the guys reporting this are highly experienced photographers.

Two resent comments I have seen over here

- A Photo magazine editor here in Sweden has been told by Canon he will receive his production body mid June
- A sport shooter has received a preproduction unit as a loan and was told his production units would be delivered to him when he is at the Euro

(I know their names but would rather not publish)

I just hope this is some sort of indication that we won't see any more delays... ;)

That's good news Thomas.

Two resent comments I have seen over here

- A Photo magazine editor here in Sweden has been told by Canon he will receive his production body mid June
- A sport shooter has received a preproduction unit as a loan and was told his production units would be delivered to him when he is at the Euro

(I know their names but would rather not publish)

I just hope this is some sort of indication that we won't see any more delays... ;)

Prepaying we don't tbh... Although the big shows I originally wanted the dx for have been and gone. As long as I'm set up for August bank holiday weekend that's my important one.

I just heard about a press photographer in Stockholm that was a victim of a break in, all his gear was lost, INCLUDING a pre production 1DX... :eek::eek:

I just heard about a press photographer in Stockholm that was a victim of a break in, all his gear was lost, INCLUDING a pre production 1DX... :eek::eek:

Any warranty on it? :LOL:

Canon rumours forum now saying that the June/July will be small numbers for selected sports photographers and the main bulk of orders looking more like August/September :(

I really hope this isn't the case!

Canon rumours forum now saying that the June/July will be small numbers for selected sports photographers and the main bulk of orders looking more like August/September :(

I really hope this isn't the case!

To be honest i wouldnt touch one wiht a bargepole now :( not until next year.. I would wait until everyone has them and everyones happy then get one... I was desperate and wanted to be in the front que for one.. my confidence is shattered wiht it now though..

I will have one but only when its proven... I didnt think the mkIII debacle was possible again.. now not prepared to spend thousands on a maybe ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back