canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am buying the 1dx for its higher iso capabilities.. needed for winter months and indoor work (schools sports) so I now wouldnt get the benifit of one until around september.. I may as well wait until they ahve been used by a few before I buy mine..

Disgusted wiht canon customer service... but will still need to get the 1dx before next winter..

PLUS My 500 quid in someone elses account for 6 mths is wrong!

I wouldn't disagree with that either but again, back at Photo Solutions, Park Cameras were taking orders w/o the need for deposits. That said, I can understand your disappointment.

PLUS My 500 quid in someone elses account for 6 mths is wrong!

Somebody has been earning the interest on that, and it hasn't been you. :( :LOL:

Not really now are they, they announced the D4 way after canon announced the 1DX yet lots of folk already have their grubby mitts on them and theyre showing in stock all over the place, to me the only thing which has affected supply of any Nikon product has been the Tsunami and floods, the upping of the price was a major no no but that was simply supply and demand.

There's 'some' people with stock, maybe not lots. ;)

'Simply supply and demand' is not reason for changing the price after the prices have been announced. Saying that it was an error is 'b****x' from a multinational company.

They knew what their stocks were going to be for months in advance, and months to come, that they may have underestimated the demand is irrelevant, upping the price doesn't make them make them any quicker, it just penalises those that want to get the camera quickly and profiteers from the demand. Those early adopters already pay a premium to those who wait a few months or a year to buy.

Apple could do this every time they bring out a product, as demand always exceeds supply. Say it is going to be X pounds but when they know the demand is there, we'll make it XX pounds. Yes, Apple are premium products that come with a premium price, but so are cameras, especially at the top end. That Nikon got the price wrong, especially compared to Canon and the 5DIII is no reason to up the price either, they just use it as an opportunity to try and get people to change from Canon because it is a good deal for a good product. :shrug:

Nikon customer service has never let me down

Long may it last. (y)

No userguide yet in PDF format but here's the 1Dx AF Settings guidebook

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/camera/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide2.pdf

Well now, this will also apply to the 5D3, won't it?..and as I suspected, this is a camera for the olympics with Canon's usual emphasis on sport, when I said this to Frankie Jim at focus, he said there would be a wildlife guide coming out some time.
Also it confirms that there will be no f8 ability, (as again was stated by Frankie) so such rumours were unfounded.
Canon really have to start addressing what is a substantial part of their customer base, the wildlife enthusiast. Why they keep ignoring them is beyond me!!:thinking:..and I know quite a lot of Canon people feel the same way.

from the canon cpn newsletter just recieved...

Canon has won six prestigious 2012 TIPA awards - including Best Professional DSLR for the EOS-1D X - for its imaging products.

It's won an award... which is a little annoying to say the least considering its not even available yet :(

Got this in the mail the other day :)

manual.jpg

A lot of good reading!

from the canon cpn newsletter just recieved...

It's won an award... which is a little annoying to say the least considering its not even available yet :(

Not what you want to hear but, it's not available to YOU :( but those who count (in Canons option) will have got the camera already, the delay is in MASS PRODUCTION.

It seems to happen every year. Seems to be lots of 'in industry' stuff that is only an aid to marketing. If a camera is not available to buy, then it can't win an award imho. :shrug:

Hopefully it would still be good enough to win next year. ;)

It's seeming more odd as time goes on to announce a camera so long before availability. :thinking: The 5DIII looks like it was ready to be sold, (light leak problem aside ;) :LOL:) but not the 1DX. :shrug: Maybe they just wanted to muddy the water for the Nikon D4.

Nikon are just about better though as there is some stock actually getting to people though charging people the 'premium' re adjusted price for the privilege. ;) :LOL:

Used my 1DIV for the first time in a really dark hall last night & phew it struggled. It maybe that I expect too much. I was trying to focus from the back of hall to stage (maybe 30ft away. There were no lights on that area.

The point?

I'd love to see if the 1Dx would have locked on every time. I can't afford one yet but I'm looking forward to the reports when they do come out.

As our American cousins would say 'hurry up already Canon'.

Probably still deciding how much they can charge the masses for it and get away with it. Any philanthropists out there wishing to donate to my camera fund just drop me a PM and I'll send you my paypal details.

Here's hoping.

Used my 1DIV for the first time in a really dark hall last night & phew it struggled. It maybe that I expect too much. I was trying to focus from the back of hall to stage (maybe 30ft away. There were no lights on that area.

The point?

Were there no lights on the stage or something? even my 500D will focus on something at that distance with simple stage lighting, ok it has constant aperture 2.8 lenses attached which is what makes the difference, I haven't tried the 1DIV under those conditions yet but I will assume it will work just as well. but allow me faster shutter speeds due to the improved ISO settings.

Bet he getting a free one :D

If not free, probably a good price.
As I read on another forum. The ambassador's reputation is also on the line when jumping in bed with a specific brand. I'll bet any negative things would have been discussed in the early stages ;)

And so the count down begins.. 1 Month now (or so I hope)...

And so the count down begins.. 1 Month now (or so I hope)...

Well I'm getting a loan of one for a full day, coming Tues and leaving Thurs.

Will be interesting.....:clap:

Well I'm getting a loan of one for a full day, coming Tues and leaving Thurs.

Will be interesting.....:clap:

Shhhhhhh :muted: You are supposed to keep that quiet....;)

Last edited:
well i cancelled my order because i was fed up of being messed about and treated like i didnt exist...i also informed canon in a pleasent way that i could be taken off prority list

seems canon dont care even when there losing a customer ... heard nowt :( nobody trying to convince me to buy one.. not even a reply to my email:(

well i cancelled my order because i was fed up of being messed about and treated like i didnt exist...i also informed canon in a pleasent way that i could be taken off prority list

seems canon dont care even when there losing a customer ... heard nowt :( nobody trying to convince me to buy one.. not even a reply to my email:(

That's really awful treatment.

Tony you are going to regret canceling mate.
I had the camera for 10 days (first camera I had for 3 days but, it had a little bump on the top and was replaced by a mint one). I can stress enough how good this camera is mate. I was not allowed to post images but I can assure you is heads and shoulders above all other 1D series. Burst of 20-30 shots of a fast peregrine falcon in flight all in focus!!
usable ISO 51K out of camera... the list goes on mate... Tony get your order back in or you won't be able to buy one well into next year.

Tony you are going to regret canceling mate.
I had the camera for 10 days (first camera I had for 3 days but, it had a little bump on the top and was replaced by a mint one). I can stress enough how good this camera is mate. I was not allowed to post images but I can assure you is heads and shoulders above all other 1D series. Burst of 20-30 shots of a fast peregrine falcon in flight all in focus!!
usable ISO 51K out of camera... the list goes on mate... Tony get your order back in or you won't be able to buy one well into next year.

STOP IT!!!!!!!! :)

Ivan - I don't NEED this camera but from what has been written about it I sure as hell want one.

I really think this camera, if it's as you & others say could be my last DSLR for many many years.

I think Canon don't care about people like Tony as they know for a while they wont be able to satisfy demand. And that people like Tony will buy it anyway sooner or later.

n.b. if it was nearer to 4K I'd be all over it.

LOL @ Tony...

Robin, I hear ya mate but, what's the alternative?... Nikon is not better and, we need these to work so, canceling was not an option for me. It will be like cutting one's nose to spite the face.

Besides, my canon representative has been good to me. In fact, he has gone well beyond the call of duty to accommodate me. So no complains from me.
Roll on June...

Ivan I don't earn enough from photography to justify it.

I really do look forward to see reviews of production models in real world situations from people on here.

It will be like cutting one's nose to spite the face.

yes thats what I have done :(
Its just the lack of info.. You ahve to find out stuff yourself.. nothing from canon... even told by my rep that its been on forums and websites.. then agreed he should have been more forthcoming..then didnt tell me about the next delay

5.3k camera order and maybe another in the next 12 motnhs (thats how the mk2 then the mk3 then the mk4 went)

I didnt get invited to the trials.. i found out on here and had to get an invite..

then when i saiud enoughs enough.. sent a polite email saying i wasnt too pleased and have withdrawn my deposit.. any other company would make an effort... but nothing.. not even a sorry to see you go.. nothing..

just complete and utter ignorance :(

I will be sick as a parrott when its out.., the deposit is still on the credit card and i ahve a buyer for a mkIV ..I can get one.. but complete ignorance from canon is so offputting :(

yeagh yeagh i know... moan moan moan :)

Hopefully there will be plenty of stock come winter when it will be most beneficial to you Tony.

Hi Tony.
I was not invited per se. I attended the Canon Pro solutions show back in October and placed my interest there and then.

No info what so ever about delays. 500 and 600 mm MKII supposed to come out last December. My 500mm was sold last November and I have been on a rent as you need basis since.

Same story with my cameras. There was a gap in my schedule that allowed for the seamless sale and (had it been in time) replacement. Alas, we all know what happened there.

Frankie is really gone beyond the call of duty for me with loaners but, these being sparse, you can imagine the nightmare I am living through.

Hopefully there will be no more delays... I just want it in my hands for real so that I can move on.

Last edited:
Frankie is really gone beyond the call of duty for me with loaners but, these being sparse, you can imagine the nightmare I am living through..

Thats why he hasnt the time of day for me then.. too busy with you!! :) hehehe

its if/but/maybe time... i dont know if its gonna be true that unless your on priority then you wont get one htis yr..

Tony I really feel for you, disgusting treatment for a customer whether a pro or not.

I don't understand why a pro should get preferential treatment anyway...at the end of the day my money is a s good as yours and truth be known....me posting how good a camera is on a forum may get get Canon more revenue than a pro taking shots for the papers........

The last 4 years of Canon camera business has been one big mess.....is it possible that Canon were infiltrated by some one at Olympus????

I don't understand why a pro should get preferential treatment anyway...

neither do I .. I ahvent looked back but I dont think I mention being a pro anywhere ?

I htink your right about infiltrated.. agent nikon maybe? :)

neither do I .. I ahvent looked back but I dont think I mention being a pro anywhere ?

I htink your right about infiltrated.. agent nikon maybe? :)

Not mentioned by you but others deffo have...and all this Frankie nonsense.......customers are customers.

Precisely Tom. I think Canon rely on people owning lots of Canon glass ho they no wont swap to Nikon easily.

I fully agree that customers are customers but...
I suspect the strategy from Canon is to have their rep to cater for the professionals and all other customers are supposed to be handled by the retailers.

Thats why he hasnt the time of day for me then.. too busy with you!! :) hehehe

its if/but/maybe time... i dont know if its gonna be true that unless your on priority then you wont get one htis yr..

He's busy with everyone mate. I really do feel for him. Thankless job that he has. Not ease trying to cope when everyone is shouting Me! Me! Me!.... I need, I need, I need and now! now! now!

Maybe they have ramped up production so that they can deliver all the pre-orders worldwide in one go rather than in dribs and drabs. It would also have given them more time to work on the firmware...

Or maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back