Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Thats a good clear read with a lot more explanation.. however I am sticking to my settings.. i do so much low light work that I ahve set to +2 on focus priority and I did notice last night a lag between shots.. but only slight... didnt bother me.. the 1dx is fast enough to have a slight lag.. getting the shot is more important as the other end of scale is to always shoot 12fps but your relying on them all being sharp and thats not always the case..

It might be a good idea to change the above in summer.. but would I remember :)

One thing.. I was expecting VIEW ONLY LOCKED FILES as that was suppsoed to be in the new update but seems not :(

Biggest thing for me is the exposure for auto ISO in manual I can set aperture and shutter and no longer worry about anything froping or changing.. such a massive boost this for someone who does low light work all the time

One thing.. I was expecting VIEW ONLY LOCKED FILES as that was suppsoed to be in the new update but seems not :(

Playback: display only “protected” images
This is an addition to the JUMP options during image playback on the camera’s LCD monitor. Press the Playback button, then turn the top Main Dial and only images you’ve previously protected will play back. This can be useful for those who use the “Protect” function (to prevent accidental erasing of images). It’s now possible to show a client only those files you’ve protected, avoiding outtakes and other images you perhaps don’t want to show. This is in addition to the “RATE” function; many shooters will find the Protect function is arguably faster to apply during breaks while on-location.

Playback: display only “protected” images
This is an addition to the JUMP options during image playback on the camera’s LCD monitor. Press the Playback button, then turn the top Main Dial and only images you’ve previously protected will play back. This can be useful for those who use the “Protect” function (to prevent accidental erasing of images). It’s now possible to show a client only those files you’ve protected, avoiding outtakes and other images you perhaps don’t want to show. This is in addition to the “RATE” function; many shooters will find the Protect function is arguably faster to apply during breaks while on-location.

Oh wow.. I ahdn't seen that in any of the info.. more good news ... THANK YOU PHILIP :)

I use the lock function all the time so photomechanic only dwnloads locked images.. this is how to speed things up pitchside or any live event when time is important for sending images..Now I can review what I ahve locked and change accordingly.. eg: If I am looking for an action shot of player X .. lock it.. then get a better one 5 minutes later..its easy to go back and unlock one.... great stuff...

Bleeding hell, what happened to just turning on and shooting like back in the days of the MKIIN

you need a degree in how cameras work nowerdays son :)

A

And a degree in reading instruction manuals helps.

I was brought up with old computers and loads of "read_me.doc" .. you learn to ignore them :)

I'm all for that. The manuals are getting too big anyway, it's a good read if you can't sleep, two pages and I'm zzzzzzzzzz

Just an update on my auto ISO exposure comp problem from a few days ago. Turns out I was trying to set it up on C1 which, although having manual settings for aperture and shutter speed, just wouldn't have it.

I had to go in to manual mode proper, do all my settings, set exposure comp on auto ISO, then I could save that all as C1. Worked a treat at the night game on Tuesday.

Thanks again to all you guys that came to my assistance. It's very much appreciated

Glad to hear it's sorted, Nigel, but I have been altering my c1-3 settings without any trouble, perhaps it's the way they were set up before.

The one thing I would say is that reading the link which I posted above is extremely useful, I've re-red it a couple of times nd think I now have the settings I want, but this camera has the biggest learning curve of any I've had to date, especially the whole AF malarky!!, but it sure is worth the effort as it's far and away the best af yet in any Canon IMO.

Here is the link again..

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_firmware_upgrade.shtml

Really pleased with the 1 DX...

George.

Last edited:
They've certainly been pushing out a lot of articles and info on this upgrade, don't think I've ever seen as many!!

Just had to send mine back to Canon. Been having issues with the focus, everything comes out just a bit soft. I had this issue before it went in for the lube thing but when it came back from that it was pin sharp but over the last two months it's gone back to how it was.
I'm a CPS gold member so hopefully I'll have it back by next weekend.

The Camera should be back with me today, I can't fault the service, they got it Monday and back to me Wednesday. Let's hope the thing is fixed!

The Camera should be back with me today, I can't fault the service, they got it Monday and back to me Wednesday. Let's hope the thing is fixed!

What was the fix, Iain?

Yep, it's a mk2 and I don't think it can be much better than this.

How do I turn off a saved focussing point ?
Inadvertently turned one on and can't figure how to remove it
thanks

How do I turn off a saved focussing point ?
Inadvertently turned one on and can't figure how to remove it
thanks
If I understand you correctly, Eddie, you need to move to the new point (or centre point if you don't want another) and then press and hold the "assist" button and the "FEL" button simultaneously.

Bob

Thanks Bob
excuse my ignorance but the FEL buttons the one marked with an asterix on back of camera ?
which is the assist button ?
cheers

Sorry Eddie, I was a generation out in my memory. Press and hold the focus point selection button and simultaneously press the "+/-" button

Bob

Thanks Bob
that fixed it
never know what this setting a focus point is for or how to set it up
doesnt seem that obvious in the manual

Apologies if its been mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone have any issues with the battery info.

I check when its fully charged which shows 100% then move out of the menu screen and immediately back and its gone down to 96%.......the menu info continues to give differing readings in a short time without actually shooting anything.

When I was using the one I had before the battery was fine, in fact it was excellent. It didn't drop like your is doing.

Well I've just turned camera on and battery was showing 83%.......I then moved out of the menu screen and immediately back in, it then showed 80%

I've never had that problem. I've just put a fully charged battery in and did what you did and it's still 100%.

I remember reading about this before somewhere but can't remember where.

Nice one Icee.

Just tried it without a lens attached (400mm 2.8) and the battery reading doesn't appear to be so arratic.

This problem was mentioned before in the thread quite a time ago, and from memory the firmware update before last seemed to help it....except some of the more cynical of us suspected that Canon just altered the software/firmware so that the problem disappeared!!

I had a couple of batteries exchanged in the early days, and it seems to be fine now....we were getting an error message in the log showing unusual battery performance, but since these firmware upgrades it hasn't come back.

I assume you are running the latest firmware,Ian?

Will have another look tomorrow.

George.

Yes George I'm on the latest firmware.
Hmm, thought you would be...how old is the camera?

I'll do another more controlled check tomorrow and report back, haven't done one for a while...did you check the log?

Camera approx 4 months old bought new.

Nothing at all in the log George.

Anyone thinking of downgrading to a mkIV yet ?:) Time for me to get another 1dx ...

Back