Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

I am no expert.. but if i was going away for a month i would just take battery out of camera and leave at that... imagine how long they are stored before you buy it.. they are never fully discharged always somehting in them if i remeber.. never heard it being a big problem anyways :)

Good point. Thanks

Fwiw modern battery advice at least for li ion is to aim at 40% charge for storage hth.

Fwiw modern battery advice at least for li ion is to aim at 40% charge for storage hth.

Thank you. All this advice greatly appreciated.

Whilst having checked the manual, properly, it appears you cannot actually discharge/calibrate your batteries yourself at will. I've put my batts in the charger, pushed and held the button and the three green lights come on, indicating a healthy battery. The lights will not turn red indicating discharge/recalibration. I assume from this it is something the charger identifies from the state of the battery/ies automatically although I think the IB is a bit misleading on this as it implies that by pushing the button you can/will discharge etc.

Both my batts are currently holding about 40-50% charges.

An interesting article on the AF set up, more aimed at wildlife than the Canon sports stuff
http://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/understanding-canon-eos-1dx-autofocus-firmware-ver-2-0-3.

Also I've just come back from a 3 wk trip in the Mara,Serengeti and Ngorongoro conservation area (not the crater, which I regard as a large zoo...!!!) and had the most keepers I can remember with the 1 Dx and 70-200 2.8 mk 2 and 200-560 4-5.6 lenses.
Further demonstrated what a great body the 1 Dx is.
George.

Has anyone done there own sensor clean on a 1dx?

Has anyone had a shutter replaced or know of anyone who has.. mines getting done next month :(

Is the shutter replacement a precaution or has it failed and how many shots has it done?

Is the shutter replacement a precaution or has it failed and how many shots has it done?

if it failed it would be dead and done... its done 381 thousand at the moment.. I ahve a 25% off letter from the CPS that expires in a month or so... rather than wait for shutter to go (wont be under warranty over 400k) I may as well get it done ...esp as working camera... get done cheaper and thus new shutter warranty

Good move as it's done a fair bit of work.

none stop for nearly two years :) as most of my work is indoors then it gets used more than the 1dmkIV .. However thats on its last legs as well so also getting new shutter ahead of cricket season when its gonna get hammered... hoping the 25% off covers total bill :)

In to Canon for the third time for soft focus issues. I'm hoping its third time lucky and it's a permanent fix this time otherwise I'll not be happy.

Have you seen the posts elsewhere re mirror box replacement?....if not I'll try and find the link.

In fact, here it is..
http://www.canonrumors.com/?s=1+Dx+focus
and although it says in cold weather one of my friends had this problem in Namibia and eventually Elstree agreed to replace the mirror box and it's been fine..that was well before this notice came out.

yes, i've seen those George. It was in for the so called fix, came back with sharper focus than it ever had but in the space of a few months had gone soft and hunting again. In it went with the same result and after a few month the same problems.
This time it has gone in via my Canon rep so we will see what happens.

The ideal result would be a replacement body but I'm not holding my breath.

My 1dx is so good at focus.. it even latches onto tiny raindrops in front of the subject....aaaargh

the 1dx is about 2 yrs old now.. the price isnt dropping and there isnt a sniff of the next camera..after 2 years... has canon hit a walll?

My 1dx is so good at focus.. it even latches onto tiny raindrops in front of the subject....aaaargh

I didn't realise that it rained in Accrington.

Seriously though Tony.....I had the same problem at a wet match last year (albeit big rain drops) and had to slow the tracking down to get it to stick.

Bob

Got it back today. Not much said on the sheet that came back with it, it looks like its had a service reading between the lines. Time will tell.

Got it back today. Not much said on the sheet that came back with it, it looks like its had a service reading between the lines. Time will tell.

Didn't your Canon rep get on to Elstree service dept and get the story, Iain?..

Just contacted my rep to see if he can find out what was done.

I noticed something today, I tried the same lens on my 1Dx and my 1Dmk3 on a static subject af setting single point and my mk3 focused faster than my 1Dx.

Anyone found this to be the case?

In a word, Iain, no!!1Dx faster than any other body i've had..

I noticed something today, I tried the same lens on my 1Dx and my 1Dmk3 on a static subject af setting single point and my mk3 focused faster than my 1Dx.

Anyone found this to be the case?

Controlled tests performed by "The Imaging resource" support your findings Iain....the 1D3 was bloody quick (even when it missed focus!)

I've had a look on the image resource site but can't find the tests. Can you point me in the right direction please Bob.

Hmmm am I not getting th emost out of my 1dx.. canon CPS newslatetr says new 1dx AF setting handbook out wiht updates and more examples....

Well yes theres loads of ways to setup the AF and even a few preset for us.... Is it just me or? I have AF set to case 1. I use center point movable wiht joystick.. ai servo ...I never change it.. I ahve tried the other modes but either no difference or convince myself worse and go back to the all round case 1...

Is anyone seeing a massive difference when changing settings for different sports?

Is anyone seeing a massive difference when changing settings for different sports?
All marketing hype mate, they pay a few top rated pros to say its much better and stick an extra grand on the price and hey presto, we all go out and buy it. (well not me, i shoot Nikon and it just works out of the box)

All marketing hype mate, they pay a few top rated pros to say its much better and stick an extra grand on the price and hey presto, we all go out and buy it. (well not me, i shoot Nikon and it just works out of the box)

You need to come out of P mode now and again Gary.. just for a change :)

Well.. I have only gone and done it........ Good news for 1dx owners ...the camera passes 400 thousand shutters no problem :)

Well.. I have only gone and done it........ Good news for 1dx owners ...the camera passes 400 thousand shutters no problem :)

Nice one! How long did it take to reach that count?

Has anyone done there own sensor clean on a 1dx?

I did mine last week as I had a few spots in the corners that weren't shifting with the built in cleaning function. I think some may have been very small oil spots or the super sticky dust you only get when changing lenses at motor racing circuits ;-). Having failed miserably using wet swabs on my previous 1D3 (I just made things worse), I tried one of these sticky pad on a stick things (http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Eyelead_sensor_cleaning_kit_SCK-1_t2649_6789), though I only found this website which is a few £ cheaper after I'd bought it through Amazon. It took a few attempts - I wasn't pushing hard enough to start with and kept touching the edges when getting into the corners, but it cleared all the bigger dust spots, and just left a few very minor ones near the corners that you can barely make out at f22 at 100% crop that I can very easily live with.

I ended up doing the whole sensor at once in a series of quick presses without cleaning the sticky pad every time as recommended, as it minimised the time I had the sensor exposed.

Nice one! How long did it take to reach that count?

got mine pretty early so guess its gotta be 2 years.. workign camera so out all week... for example I ahve five football cup finals to photo this week.. thats midweek.. weekends always busy as well :)

I did mine last week as I had a few spots in the corners that weren't shifting with the built in cleaning function.

cheers for that but I ahve decided its all too scarey for me.. being a whimp :( going to send in for new shutter soon anwyays :)

i seem to be having a focus issue when auto focusing to near infinity the AF just stops trying to focus
if i move the focus manually it will have another try and usually focuses or if i switch the camera off and on again sometimes that works
it doesn't happen that often but when it does it tends to do it quite often during that session of using the camera
it's happened with 2 different lenses ( 70 - 200 2.8 L non is and 70 - 200 2.8 L is ) i don't think it's a lens issue
anyone else had similar focus issues ?

I had that with a 1D IV and a 70-200mm and it was the lens

I had the same problem with a 1Ds mk3 and a 70-200 2.8 mk2, and again it was the lens, however strange that it's happening with 2 lenses, how long have you had the 1 Dx and did you buy it locally?
Should still be under warranty, Elstree will check body and lenses under that.

George

Back