Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Well, here are today's battery test results. Don't ask me to explain them. In a room with constant temperature, so that doesn't cause the variation.

Battery removed from charger (fully charged) at 0930, camera fitted with 70-200 2,8 L IS mk2, switched on and battery condition read......
first reading 0930.....100%

10.30......91%
11.00......93%
removed from body, replaced and reading was 88%
12.00......92%
13.00...87%
14.00...91%
19.30...99%!!

camera set to go in to standby mode after 4 mins, wasn't switched off at all.

Will do a check in the morning, then I'll repeat today's test with my other battery, and see what happens.

Perhaps we are expecting too much from the battery info?

George.

so anyone know any decent priced 1dx ... cheapo used? part ex would be nice.... ebay not so clever..

so anyone know any decent priced 1dx ... cheapo used? part ex would be nice.... ebay not so clever..

$5649 offer in the US, Tony!!......just over 3.5 grand!!irrelevant but interesting!!

Yeagh hong kong £3700 new... Saving 1 thosuand ..IF anyhting goes wrong you can pay out your pocket to fix.. wont be thosuands :) however would rather buy a used one.. someones been using then I know works... and brilliant if part ex :)

Yeagh hong kong £3700 new... Saving 1 thosuand ..IF anyhting goes wrong you can pay out your pocket to fix.. wont be thosuands :) however would rather buy a used one.. someones been using then I know works... and brilliant if part ex :)

Can't fault your reasoning there, Tony..but this battery info is interesting!!...doesn't make sense really, 'suppose you take it as an indication and nothing else.

Today's results look interesting, will post later.

My battery does about the same as yours... had the 1dx a long time now.. doesnt worry me fluctuations in battery... works thats all that matters here :)

Well, here are today's battery test results. Don't ask me to explain them. In a room with constant temperature, so that doesn't cause the variation.

Battery removed from charger (fully charged) at 0930, camera fitted with 70-200 2,8 L IS mk2, switched on and battery condition read......
first reading 0930.....100%

10.30......91%
11.00......93%
removed from body, replaced and reading was 88%
12.00......92%
13.00...87%
14.00...91%
19.30...99%!!

camera set to go in to standby mode after 4 mins, wasn't switched off at all.

Will do a check in the morning, then I'll repeat today's test with my other battery, and see what happens.

Perhaps we are expecting too much from the battery info?

George.

...Update after further tests.

2nd battery gave following results..

0900......100%
0945.......100%
1045......88%
1200.....89%
1700......92%
1830.....87%
2000....91%

Next day....13.30....91%
Next day......1100....90%
Next day......1200.....89%

Meanwhile, original battery on the 4th day, was replaced in the camera and read..86%

Conclusion?....make up your own mind but I think it's really just an approximation to the state of the battery, I certainly find battery life fine, looks as if there's an initial drop of but then it stabilises.

George

:):), don't think I'd chance a non standard battery, Gary!!
George, theres a thread on here somewhere about Canon batteries, not specifically the 1DX but in general, some opened up one of the 7D batteries and inside has 4 bog standard Panasonic rechargeable batteries AA sized glued together much like you would find in the lithium battery sets the Chinese torch sellers sell on Ebay, canon just put nice plastic packaging round these ordinary batteries and charge you a fortune mate, ill see if i can find the info/thread anywhere

George, theres a thread on here somewhere about Canon batteries, not specifically the 1DX but in general, some opened up one of the 7D batteries and inside has 4 bog standard Panasonic rechargeable batteries AA sized glued together much like you would find in the lithium battery sets the Chinese torch sellers sell on Ebay, canon just put nice plastic packaging round these ordinary batteries and charge you a fortune mate, ill see if i can find the info/thread anywhere
Thanks, Gary...but I think there's also some chip to get the state of charge info etc?...but I'm sure you are correct, the OE batteries have to be a bit of a rip off, just don't think I'd want to chance it!

Got a couple of so called equivalents for my original 1 Ds and they were terrible, sent them back to 7 Day shop..(who to giv them their due, credited me without any problem!)

Just make sure you buy decoded batteries then the charging info will show correctly, oh hang on a minute the IDX batteries dont even do that LOL

Heres a thread about the BP-511 battery, a guy cracks one open and low and behold, a couple of unbranded cheapo 10 pence batteries inside http://forum.mflenses.com/is-there-battery-refurbish-service-t45972.html

Canon and Nikon do not manufacture batteries and know full well that we, or at least some of us know they are scamming us over their pricing for batteries but they try to frighten the consumer by telling them that their warranty will be void if they use non OEM batteries, rubbish mate, scare mongering at its very worst

Last edited:
Cheers for that... would be perfect if i could sell my 1d4 quick :)

Just had a look.. I didnt know wex did used equipment..so will keep an eye on there.. thanks for that ... the 1dx is sourced from outside UK though.... and have you seen the example football shot.. what a load of rubish haha :)

Last edited:
No worries... :)

My mkiv didn't get any interest on tp, for what ever reason

Tbh sourced outside the uk wouldn't bother me that much I don't think, wex still have to give some form of guarantee

Yes there is, when I press "Menu" it goes straight there!...so long since I set that up, i've forgotten how to do it!!

Will have a search!

OK, got it!

Go to "my menu settings"(last option) then scroll down to the bottom..."display from my menu" and set this to "Enable"...that's it!

Grid Q ?

can I set the grid to show in the viewfinder of my 1dx ? I can get it to show in movie liveview but cant seem to set it in the VF.
any help appreciated

Cheers

You certainly can Eddie....simply select Viewfinder grid display in the menu....second page of the menu group with the spanner icon (page 61 in your user guide)

Bob

Top Multi-Controller button just come off, Anyone else had this happen?
Lehmann quote £210.
Dropped camera off today 13-03 £140.

Last edited:
Thanks

It's arrived, can't wait to test it out tomorrow at Dog Agility

It's a Bute

Should work great for you straight out of the box but theres a million settings you will want to change as you go along I guess... Enjoy :)

Does anyone out there in the ether know if there is a way of discharging the E4-N batteries apart from the obvious way of using them.

I'm confused with the instructions on the battery charger and thought there was a way of forcibly discharging them using it. If so I'm obviously being thick. I've a couple of these batteries and when not in use don't like leaving them charged up.

If you can't discharge them with the charger do you know if there is a discharger you can buy?

Your charger does it for you when you press the CALIBRATE button in the middle of the two bays... it discharges when the red lights are on then auto charges when the green are on..... I believe thats what happens...

Appreciate your replies, thankyou BUT....

I assume when you discharge that's NOT the same as re- calibrating or am I being extra thick here?

Appreciate your replies, thankyou BUT....

I assume when you discharge that's NOT the same as re- calibrating or am I being extra thick here?

I think you need to explain why you want to discharge your battery and what brought you to that decision.. its generally considered a poor thing to do unless your letting the charger do it at recalibration which is discharge and charge..

Only because I'm due to be going away abroad on business for a month (cannot take this camera), and not keen on leaving fully charged batteries. Also, just having read Canons instructions it does say on P31 of the manual "storing the battery when it is fully charged may lower the battery's performance"

Perhaps I'm being paranoid.

Only because I'm due to be going away abroad on business for a month (cannot take this camera), and not keen on leaving fully charged batteries. Also, just having read Canons instructions it does say on P31 of the manual "storing the battery when it is fully charged may lower the battery's performance"

Perhaps I'm being paranoid.

I am no expert.. but if i was going away for a month i would just take battery out of camera and leave at that... imagine how long they are stored before you buy it.. they are never fully discharged always somehting in them if i remeber.. never heard it being a big problem anyways :)

Back