Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

@ Joe.
All hasve been downsized for web publication.
By ISO 3200 it is getting noisy and you will need to use NR (most likely).

ISO 1600 1/40 @ F2 Available light in a theatre (hand held)

Young man. by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#2 ISO 800 (F2.2) available light hand held.

E (1) by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#3 ISO 3200 @ F2 (hand held available light) NR would have been definately applied when PPing.

Fine tuning by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Welcome to the Club :)

Battery-wise, I use these, and have had no problems with them.
(They don't come with covers, but those are available in bulk on ebay.)

As for CF cards, any basic brand name card will do. Don't bother with the super-speed ones (unless you're planning to use them in newer cameras later on), as the 5Dc doesn't read/write fast enough to benefit from them.

Could some kind folk post some high ISO pics...? IS0800/1600/3200.

Preferably portrait/wedding sort of work.

Much appreciated,

- Potential 5D owner.

Low light ISO 800 85mm at f1.8
8735092725_5fb8d2ea7e_c.jpg

40mm pancake f2.8 iso 800
8736052350_b67b090722_c.jpg

Low light ISO 800 85mm at f1.8
8736040946_c85c79e019_c.jpg

Nifty Fifty at f1.8 ISO 1600
9151359073_935fb9feae_c.jpg

Last edited:
I like the framing & the grain in the last shot David, good to see there's still some people loving the old 5D here :) One of my favourites of late:

Don by Jimwah, on Flickr

I have had my 5d classic for about 2 years now & still love it:)(y)

Some stunning shots on here. Married with a 50mm 1.8 I guess the setup would be awesome?

I have a Sigma 50mm f1.4 on mine and it's a nice combination. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is probably a better lens though, it the length suits.

Can I get any screen protectors for my 5D ?

I've never used them myself but my sister uses mobile phone screen protectors. You just cut them to size and they seem to work very well. Might be worth looking in a mobile phone shop and will probably be cheaper than a made to measure 5D screen protector.

Considering one of these in the near future to work alongside a 50d, finding at high ISO the 50d Struggles alot, how does this compare? Would like a mk2 but they are still out of budget :( as I have lens setup with ef-s fit lenses mainly I will be using this with a 70-200mm l f4 so if anyone has some high ISO shots with this setup would appreciate it :)

How come the 50D is struggling at high ISO? What settings?

Aifocus, anything 1600 and above and noise starts to become obvious, exposure bang on centre and using sigma 30mm at f1.6, maybe I'm being to fussy? Also using av mode, but I have the shutter fixed to 1/250, I'm wondering now is this my mistake? I do love my 50d infact I contemplated getting another :) but wondering if I will see a big jump in ISO performance with a 5d classic?

Using both a 40D and 5D you see about 1 stop extra in noise performance. (probably a bit more than with a 50D which I have never used.)

I do own a 70-200 F4 L however in low light shootoing, where I cannot use a flash or long exposures, I switch to using fast primes.

Thanks I think this pretty much sums up my question, looks like i need to improve my technique and/or invest in some good primes :) wife will be so pleased to see some more shiny glass :)

Before investing in lenses a relatively cheap option may be to invest in noise reduction software and learn how to use it. It may even help when shooting at high ISO with your 70-200.

Re the primes - I shoot a few classical music events (indoor) a year and that is where I mostly use the fast primes along with the 40D and 5D.
Mostly it is a 35mm F2, 85mm F1.8 and a 135mm F2.
Back up lenses are a 24mm F2.8 and a 50mm F1.8

just bought a mint one from clifton cameras yesterday to go with the 17-40 lens i bought last week.:)
hopefully will be here tomorrow and my wife is at work so won't know(y)

Before investing in lenses a relatively cheap option may be to invest in noise reduction software and learn how to use it.

I only just discovered (by reading the service manual) that the 5Dc has some noise-reduction capabilities built in:

Set with C.Fn-02 [Noise reduction] set to [Auto] or [On]:
(1)[Auto]: The noise level is detected automatically and noise reduction is performed.
(2)[On]: Noise reduction is performed if the exposure is 1 sec. or longer.

Some other things I discovered (or possibly, re-discovered!):

• Centre cross-type AF point is only cross-type with F/2.8 and faster glass (I think I'm reading that right)
  • Hidden AF points for servo mode are enabled with C.Fn-17-1
  • Apparently, If a high ISO speed is set, fewer images can be captured. As per the design. (The LCD panel will show the remaining shots which varies depending on the ISO speed.) I've never noticed this!

[*]Apparently, If a high ISO speed is set, fewer images can be captured. As per the design. (The LCD panel will show the remaining shots which varies depending on the ISO speed.) I've never noticed this!
[/LIST]

I think that this is because high ISO shots tend to be larger, as in more mp's, because they contain more noise which is just more detail to the camera and so... a larger (in mp's) file.

This thread has me desperately wanting to add a 5D1 to my kit :( I have a 500d and 7D, using the 500d as a backup or to save me from swapping lenses.

However, if I got a 5D1 and sold the 500d I'd need to invest in lenses as my general purpose (17-85) and UWA (Sigma 10-20) are EF-S/crop body lenses.

But I want FF for weddings/street/Landscape photography, but would have to keep the 7D for motorsports. Grrrrr, this is an expensive hobby!

I think a 24-105 F4 and 17-40L will have to make thier way onto my wishlist for now.

This thread has me desperately wanting to add a 5D1 to my kit :(

This thread is certainly an inspiration for wanting to grab such a classic camera. They are an awesome bit of kit for sure, I've really enjoyed mine. Just toying whether the time is right to move it on and jump into a Fuji X100 - it really starting to become a buyers market for 5D's.

If you do decide to buy one, I'm sure you'll pick one up for a great price just now.

Back