Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I've decided my Fuji itch is too much, so am selling up my 5D mk1 and DSLR kit if anyone's interested.

Thread details can be found here :)

I've just joined the 5Dc club ;) Got a 50mm 1.4 and 100m f2 on the way with it.

Just need a wide angle (preferably a small prime) and a motorsport lens, seriously considering a Sigma 100-300mm f4 as I've had one on a Sony body before and loved it.

Any suggestions for a decent, cheapish (sub £300 used) wide prime?

Well there's the Canon 24mm 2.8 (here), or you should probably be able to pick up a 28mm 1.8 for that money used.

Would one of the 70-200s be long enough for your motorsport needs?

Well there's the Canon 24mm 2.8 (here), or you should probably be able to pick up a 28mm 1.8 for that money used.

Would one of the 70-200s be long enough for your motorsport needs?

I picked up a 100-300mm f4, works very nicely on the 5D.

Sadly I have the dirtiest sensor I've ever seen, f22 panning shots have more dust spots than actual image! Any recommended products for cleaning a FF sensor?

I use Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads.

What I do is wrap a Pec Pad around a slice cut from an old credit card and add a drop of fluid and then clean.

The idea of the slice from a credit card is that you can cut it to a size you're happy with and it'll flex meaning that you can't put a lot of pressure on the "sensor."

I've cleaned my camera sensors with this method many times without issue.

On the subject of dust, is this camera more of a magnet too the bloody stuff than any others.

Had mine cleaned by dales in Leeds, didn't change a lens and the first shots a few weeks later were covered.

They claimed it was clean when it left them and that dust from within the camera would be responsible, not sure if it's **** service or valid ?

John

I'm certain that I've read that much of the stuff that ends up on the sensor is internally generated such as oil and little bits that come off the moving parts.

With later cameras they used (so they say...) better materials less prone to shedding bits off and sensor coatings got better too.

If it helps at all... both my 20D and 5D improved with age / shutter count, I assume as the internal parts shed most of the crap they were going to shed.

This is about 1/20th of the frame, the rest is the same...

i-2zwXX5R-L.jpg

I think I need another (new) body specifically for motorsport with a low pass filter, I hate editing so sorting out this mess every shot is soul destroying...especially as I've had 6 months with Fuji X gear and never picked up a single speck.

You maybe need to do what I do - before heading out for the day test the camera and clean it if required then you know you're starting with a clean sensor. I'd probably check mine when home again too.

Once you get into the swing of cleaning the sensor it's a 5 minute job.

Will do. One thing I'm struggling to find is somewhere to buy Eclipse E2 as I'm sure the sensor will need a clean.

My plan is to try and use the 5D as my general use camera and the 7D for motorsports. The 5D will double up as my paddock camera with a 24-105. I just need a new telephoto lens for the 7D now as I sold my 70-200 and 1.4x extender. More money to spend :D

Have you guys got any examples of shots with a 5D1 and a 40mm pancake lens? I've leant my 40mm to my sister so won't be able to try it when the 5D arrives tomorrow.

Wohoo, it's arrived and she's a beauty. A couple of over exposed shots to look for dust and I can see 3 small specks around the edge of the shot and all very easily removed in PP before I venture into sensor cleaning.

There's quite a lot of dust in the viewfinder though. Do I need to open the focus screen compartment to clean that or should I just live with it for now?

5D's are a magnet for dust in the VF so if it isn't too bad I think I'd just leave it.

It could be on the focus screen or could be further up but if you want to clean the focus screen be careful as they're easily marked. To avoid damaging it what I've done in the past is just take it out and rinse it under warm water and dry carefully.

Don't go trying to remove dust behind the focus screen mechanism., if you start blowing it about pretty sure your sensor will have more than three specks on it.

Got a few specks visible through my VF, but I just ignore them although did put a new focus screen in mainly because I like the grid pattern type.

Not sure where all the crud comes from that gets on the sensor, usually a blast of air does the job, if not quick scrub with a sensorklean pen works a treat.

Evening all

Not sure if this is the right place for this, just tried today my 5d with a vivitar lens, got two issues, first err01 code 3 times in 25-30 shots? Second was when the lens was at f4 clean and clear but when stopped down to 8-11 the shots appear cloudy or over exposed even though I'd dialed the exposure down?

Not sure if I have a duff old lens or not..

Evening all

Not sure if this is the right place for this, just tried today my 5d with a vivitar lens, got two issues, first err01 code 3 times in 25-30 shots? Second was when the lens was at f4 clean and clear but when stopped down to 8-11 the shots appear cloudy or over exposed even though I'd dialed the exposure down?

Not sure if I have a duff old lens or not..

I'd clean the lens contacts, carefully, with a rubber and try again.
I'd also make sure the lens is compatible with a DSLR and press the DoF button to check if the lens close the diaphragm like it should. I bet it isn't...

My first shots with the 5D and a 24-105L.

Dust is definitely not a problem and a simple blast with the rocket blower has removed all the dust from the viewfinder. Perfect :D

It definitely takes some getting used to after using the 7D, but I'm hoping to play some more when I get my 40mm 2.8 back (leant to my sister).

IMG_8535 by david.cane, on Flickr

IMG_8655 by david.cane, on Flickr

IMG_8601 by david.cane, on Flickr

IMG_8609 by david.cane, on Flickr

IMG_8643-2 by david.cane, on Flickr

IMG_8623-2 by david.cane, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice David, not bad for an eight year old design camera is it?

Detail is just so clean with lovely realistic colours, personally think it knocks any crop sensor camera into a cocked hat

Is that red brick building the Prudential in High Holborn? (actually just called Holborn)

Last edited:
Yes, it's in Holborn. I had a meeting at Golin Harris, so took the 5D with as it was the only opportunity I'm going to get to try it in central London this week.

My first thoughts when I looked at the pics was that it's no better than my 7D. Then only closer inspection I've started to notice the detail that it's captured. I need to go out with both the 7D and 5D to compare them side by side taking the same shots.

Looking back on those photos, I'm really liking them now. I want to do some portrait shots, but haven't really got a location or subject. The other half will probably wonder why all of a sudden I want to take different types of photos ;) She still hasn't noticed that I've got a 500d and 7D. There's no way she'll notice the 5D is a different camera :D

IMG_8588 by david.cane, on Flickr

It's an easy thing to check as the fix is visible at the corners of the mirror when you look inside. Mine's done :D

Not had it done and great believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it

Wasn't all the bodies affected and hopefully on the later ones such as mine (serial number starts with 2) they addressed the problem

Coming up to 20k clicks and alls well, maybe shouldn't have said that though

Also read that some of the early models had a green tinge to the LCD, not got that and unsure if it existed anyway

Last edited:
Surely its only easy if you can compare 2 bodies lol.

No, you can clearly see the additional little brackets on the corner of the mirror and if you've ever seen a mirror before you'll see it's different.

Recently sold - Sigma 20mm f1.8, 85mm f1.4, 150mm f2.8 macro, 12-24mm.

Still got my 5D, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Canon 20-35mm and 70-300mm + Zuiko 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 amd 135mm f3.5 that I can use via a cheap adapter.

My 5D produces nice images and it's lovely when fitted with my Sigma 50mm f1.4 but I'm just not using it these days and mostly use my G1 as it's smaller, lighter and attracts much less attention. I'm shopping for a newer CSC and if it's usable in low light (my G1 isn't) my 5D and my remaining three DSLR lenses may be going up for sale.

This thread was a bad idea to sit and read through, currently have a 50D but would really like to go FF (2nd body initially). Reading through here has made the mk1 look like a real contender. I mostly shoot light painting and motorsport.

Hopefully santa is good to me and I can afford one :D

If you get one I think you'll be impressed. The price they go for I think they're amazing value and if you can get hold of a 50mm f1.4 you might decide that a 5D+nice fast 50mm might be all you'll ever need :D

Ok thanks to this thread I've just got a quote from mpb to shift on my 50d and tamron 18-50 f2.8, for a 5d mki. All of that would cover the 5d then I'm left with my 70-200 F4 L.

Plan would be to get a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 and leave it at that for a while. Freeing up some extra funds for a half decent CNC - possibly an XE-1 or Nikon 1J-1 - for travelling/those times I don't want to use the DSLR.

Depending on the biased opinion I get in here I may make a thread in the equipment section :LOL:

Any thoughts?

Any mk1 users using their cameras with adapters and manual focus lenses? If so, what adapter and lens combo and how do you find it?

I have used my Zuiko's on my 5D and they perform well but other than for close up stuff manual focus on a DSLR just isn't for me. There are focus confirmation adapters... and indeed I have one but from what I've read they're not as accurate as AF.

Any mk1 users using their cameras with adapters and manual focus lenses?

Be warned! I've tried to use it with a 50mm Zeiss on a Contax/Yashica adapter. But the mirror collides with the aperture pin of the lens. Luckily there wasn't any damage on the camera, the mirror did go up, but not return down as long as the lens had been on the camera.

I've just bought myself an early Christmas present, a Canon 5D mk3, I've still got my 5D and 5D mk2 so I'm going to have to mmove them on, albeit reluctantly. The mk2 is currently on Gumtree. What price are 5D's going for ? Its a really clean example, I reckon 17K actuations, clean sensor, genuine Canon battery grip and 4 batteries, 2 original, 2 oem. Comes with box and leads etc I've had any oppurtunity to sell it twice before, but both times I decided to hold on to it, it just produces such lovely images.Anyway I've decided this time it has to go to pay for the MK3, as I said what would be a reasonable price to ask for my 5D kit ?

Back