Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I was using my 85L at nearish distances at first and it was fine, but the first gig I went to I noticed immediately that it was out. I think it was around -7. My sigma 50mm1.4 was waaaaaay out. So much so it took me a long time to get it close but I think I'll need to get it calibrated to the camera as I wasn't happy when I finished. Annoying as it was 100% on my 60D I gave away!

Have you got FoCal?..if not, check it out.
It's an excellent programme and really makes a difference.

Loving the 5D3!! It outperforms the 7D and the old 5D2 by miles. I can hardly stop smiling about it!

If I update the firmware to the latest on my 5d mk3, will it alter all the personal touches I have made to the settings ? Do most people who have updated feel it is worth doing ?

No changes were made to my settings as far as i could see.

As to should you do it, only you can decided, but im glad i did as i needed the AF assist issue fixed for tomorrow :)

I upgraded from a 40D! So this is like jumping up 3 decades in technology for me! It's a beautiful piece of equipment!

Wow, i remember my 40D. Even going to a 60D was a big jump for me (i never thought the 50D was worth upgrading to).

Ive just noticed this image, that i took on Sunday but was going to delete a few days ago, has almost got 1200 views. Glad i didn't bin it now :LOL:

American Yellow cab at the World on Regent street. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

I've held onto my 40D for a couple of years, learning to use it inside out. With a payrise coming in I decided to stop saving for a second hand mark ii and make the big jump to a mark iii. I'm so glad I did!

That's a great shot, good job you didn't bin it. I love the bokeh.

Thanks Andy. Im going to keep it simple tomorrow. Ill do them proud, although i think i might let myself down a bit. Ive seen so many stunning wedding images recently, that shows what can be achieved, but im sure ill not get close to those.

There'll always be people out there better... that's life, just don't worry about it though as you can only do your best and if you were as good as those guys you'd be making a good living off doing just what they are doing.

I know what you mean though and it can be tough looking at other people's work and wishing yours was as good as that... but they probably look at other people's and think that too (y)

Sounds like you're setting yourself high standards which is great, but remember you can only do your best, and if you do that then you've achieved exactly what you're capable of, no more, no less... and judging by the few pics I've seen of your on here I think you're best will be more than good enough :)

I've held onto my 40D for a couple of years, learning to use it inside out. With a payrise coming in I decided to stop saving for a second hand mark ii and make the big jump to a mark iii. I'm so glad I did!

That's a great shot, good job you didn't bin it. I love the bokeh.

My 40D was the last camera i brought after considering if i wanted it or not. My next two, 60D and 5DMKIII were really spur of the moment purchases. Going FF had never even crossed my mind, and in fact it was the opposite as i loved the reach i had with my 60D. Just after getting a text about doing the wedding, and in a moment of madness at work i ordered it.
I got in to a lot of debt but i really dont regret it one bit. Best (and most expensive ) camera ive ever owned, and will probably be the last for a good few years to come.

That shot was quite boring until i cropped it and did a bit of work in LR5, but im really happy with it now. Thanks.

There'll always be people out there better... that's life, just don't worry about it though as you can only do your best and if you were as good as those guys you'd be making a good living off doing just what they are doing.

I know what you mean though and it can be tough looking at other people's work and wishing yours was as good as that... but they probably look at other people's and think that too (y)

Sounds like you're setting yourself high standards which is great, but remember you can only do your best, and if you do that then you've achieved exactly what you're capable of, no more, no less... and judging by the few pics I've seen of your on here I think you're best will be more than good enough :)

Thanks for the words of confidence, and compliment.
I know ill get them some great shots, they will be over the moon, but i know what im like under pressure. I tend to make mistakes, and forget to check settings etc.
Im capable of a lot more than ill get tomorrow, but with so little time im going to give up on getting too arty and just concentrate on getting decently exposed, focused images. Ill probably stick to using my 24-70 +5D most of the time. My son can take my 60D and 70-200 off and do some candid s when everyone is standing around. He has a good eye.

I can always give them the "wedding look" in LR afterwards ;-)

My 40D was the last camera i brought after considering if i wanted it or not. My next two, 60D and 5DMKIII were really spur of the moment purchases. Going FF had never even crossed my mind, and in fact it was the opposite as i loved the reach i had with my 60D. Just after getting a text about doing the wedding, and in a moment of madness at work i ordered it.
I got in to a lot of debt but i really dont regret it one bit. Best (and most expensive ) camera ive ever owned, and will probably be the last for a good few years to come.

That shot was quite boring until i cropped it and did a bit of work in LR5, but im really happy with it now. Thanks.

My 40D was my first DSLR, before that it was all point and shoot on a bridge camera! This was a spur of the moment purchase for me too, it was either a camera or I was going to buy a Corsa VXR. I've been in plenty of debt due to cars, so I decided to buy the camera, it makes me happy being out shooting, and I wanted something FF and good quality for the Isle of Skye.
I won't be selling this camera, I will probably have it for many years to come.

Last edited:
Just took the 5D3 through its paces with all my glass today and I am in seventh heaven with the results. The ecstasy continues! I tried to post an image but it did not work. AGAIN. What am I doing wrong?

Ok So I sorted out the posting thing! I hope!!

My 40D was my first DSLR, before that it was all point and shoot on a bridge camera! This was a spur of the moment purchase for me too, it was either a camera or I was going to buy a Corsa VXR. I've been in plenty of debt due to cars, so I decided to buy the camera, it makes me happy being out shooting, and I wanted something FF and good quality for the Isle of Skye.
I won't be selling this camera, I will probably have it for many years to come.

Ive spent much too much on bass gear over the past 8 years.
Im now settled with that but decided the camera gear gets a lot more use, and so i get more pleasure from it, so this so where my money goes now.
Funny enough its the Bass playing hobby that actually brings money in, but im hoping my photography will bring a bit in at some point.

I took this on the way home form work yesterday. Ive shot it before, and from the same area, but i quite like how this came out.

Standing in the city of london. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

@Dominic. Nice shot. Love the DOF.

Great shot!! Dave

Regularly shooting ISO 6400/8000 past few evenings with my badgers, bit of NR and smooth loveliness

This camera produces good looking noise if that makes sense. Love it

Greetings,

looking to get an SD card for all the important backup card!

Can the MK3 take Class 10 cards?

if so can anyone recommend any?

I use a Sandisk Extreme 45Mb/s card which is class 10.

Be aware though, while the Mk3 can take them the read/write speed will not be maximum - more like about 20mb/s

I have the 5D MK3, I have been thinking of getting the Black Rapid 7 strap, if I were using it with a 70-200 or the Sigma 150-500 I would secure the strap to the lens mount, I like to use a 24-105 quite a lot, as I have the battery pack on the 5D, I have been thinking it would be quite a bit of stress as the battery pack only screws to the camera with a single screw, other opinions would be welcome, does any one use a Black Rapid with a battery pack and a lens along the lines of a 24-105. Thanks for any opinions.

I have the 5D MK3, I have been thinking of getting the Black Rapid 7 strap, if I were using it with a 70-200 or the Sigma 150-500 I would secure the strap to the lens mount, I like to use a 24-105 quite a lot, as I have the battery pack on the 5D, I have been thinking it would be quite a bit of stress as the battery pack only screws to the camera with a single screw, other opinions would be welcome, does any one use a Black Rapid with a battery pack and a lens along the lines of a 24-105. Thanks for any opinions.

I'm trying the BR double strap this weekend, one of the bodies it the gripped 5D3. I'll let you know how I get on.

I had a BR double strap with a gripped 5D3 and gripped 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II & 24-70 f/2.8 L on respectively for most of the day on Bank Holiday Monday - ended up able to sleep that night with no back ache which was more than I can say after a few hours with just the 7D / 70-200 over my shoulder or round my neck!

I found it very comfortable and spread the weight well. Only small snag is that the shutter on the grip of the camera on my left side kept firing on my thigh so I'd have to turn the grip off and on again.

Ive spent much too much on bass gear over the past 8 years.
Im now settled with that but decided the camera gear gets a lot more use, and so i get more pleasure from it, so this so where my money goes now.
Funny enough its the Bass playing hobby that actually brings money in, but im hoping my photography will bring a bit in at some point.

I took this on the way home form work yesterday. Ive shot it before, and from the same area, but i quite like how this came out.

Standing in the city of london. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

@Dominic. Nice shot. Love the DOF.

very nice.

wherabouts do you work? near bank station?

Im doing my daughters wedding tomorrow. I think im more nervous than she is, but id be even more nervous, probably terrified, if i was only using my 60D and 15-85IS, which is what i had when she first asked me.

Oh that is a big responsibility. I am sure you will be fine though. I had to photograph a friend's civil partnership a few months back before I had the 5D3, I did it with the 5D2 and the 7D, I aged about 10 years in those few hours! It all went well though. If I can do it, you definitely can!

Enjoy the day!

I went to use my 430EXII for fill-in flash yesterday but it didn't fire every time. The flash was fully charged and the camera was in AV mode.

I'm sure it's a set-up error on my part as whether or not it fired seemed to depend on ambient light but I can't see what I'm missing.

Anyone care to solve my problem?

I went to use my 430EXII for fill-in flash yesterday but it didn't fire every time. The flash was fully charged and the camera was in AV mode.

I'm sure it's a set-up error on my part as whether or not it fired seemed to depend on ambient light but I can't see what I'm missing.

Anyone care to solve my problem?

clean the contacts? You did you use high power and fast fps? Bare in mind it can take up to 4s recharge if you nuke it

Terry, I used it today on the gripped 5d3 for 13 hours and not one issue at all...very impressed with it. 1DX with either 24-70 or 70-200 2.8isII on the other. Brilliant ! !

And that's with a 600EX-RT each too !

Last edited:
Terry, I used it today on the gripped 5d3 for 13 hours and not one issue at all...very impressed with it. 1DX with either 24-70 or 70-200 2.8isII on the other. Brilliant ! !

And that's with a 600EX-RT each too !

Thanks for getting back to me, that gives me more confidence in it, I presume when using the 24-70 you had the strap in the battery grip itself.

Last edited:
Stunning images here with the 5D/3.

I've been using a 5D Mk1 body for nearly 2yrs now, but fancy moving up to either a Mk2 or Mk3 body, can't decide..??
I don't do any sports photography, I mainly shoot with manual focus prime lenses etc, so anyone here might know if a Mk2 or Mk3 body would suit me best..?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Thanks for getting back to me, that gives me more confidence in it, I presume when using the 24-70 you had the strap in the battery grip itself.

Terry, I've been using a BR double strap with two gripped bodies for a while, with a mixture of lenses, and no issues with grips falling off.
I do check everything is still tight at regular intervals though, just to be sure!
Just wish I had a 5D3 so I could post here!

Hi everyone,
I seem to have done something with my Canon 5D MKIII play back setting without knowing that its stuck on just showing a 4 split screen when I click PLAYBACK. when I press INFO button all it shows is just the alternative SS and F/stop on top plus the file number still with four images split, next press brings me back to without the data.
I want to get back to normal screen with HISTOGRAM but can't seem to be able to.
On the Menu I tick PLAY ONE BY ONE on the Image Jump setting but still this is what I get when I press replay.
Anyone has any idea how to get back to normal single viewing mode?

Many thanks

Sorry I have found it now, thanks if anyone tried to check this.
I found that it needs to be brought to single viewing with the wheel first and then the INFO button activated again. Otherwise it stay stuck on split screens.

Back