Canon 5D MkIV specs wish list.

Name
Rod
Edit My Images
No
OK, so after a suggestion from 'Lost' we thought we'd put our thoughts towards what I hope will be included in the 5DMK4.

Personally, I have been delighted with the 5D3 for every use other that action, in which case i'd rather use a potato. Again, personally I've found the AI Servo hit rate to be poor and the rather sedate FPS rather limiting. But the 5D3 was never intended as a sports camera, so I'll forgive this. What I'd like to see, realistically included in athe MK4 is the following:

20-28MP sensor with a 1.3-1.6x crop mode.
8-10 FPS in RAW with a larger in built image buffer. 100?
Twin CF cards - Full speed (None of this crazy SD/CF combo slowing things down)
2 stops better dynamic range (not going to happen!)
1080p @ 60-120 fps with autofocus option as per 7D2 (Not bothered about 4K)
NFC - I'd absolutely love this feature to be able to share images immediately.
Intervelometer built in.
A step forward in ISO performance 1 -2 stops?
Love the MK3 silent mode - Include this as is, or with slight increase in FPS in this mode.
More reliable AI Servo AF - I'm not a fan of these AF 'Case' examples. Simplify.
GPS option for geotagging images with battery saver mode to quickly grab a rough location not wasting battery to get an exact fix.
1/500th flash sync - Not going to happen.
A reasonable price!

I'm sure I'll eventually be buying this camera whatever the spec simply because the 1Dx doesn't suit my needs and my other cameras cover all my other requirements for the time being. The MK3 is such a competent all round performer, I'll be in no hurry to pay top dollar for the MK4 upon release, rather I'll wait a year until the price levels out.

What features would other photographers want to see...realistically?! (Not thinking about film makers, but rumours suggest that canon might make a photographer's version and a videographer's version of the Mk4 - although I don't see that happening).

Looks good Rod.

Here's my offering;

22Mp Foveon sensor
Twin CF cards
Spot metering aligned to AF points
Optional eye control focus (a la Eos3)
EC in manual (via iso)
A grip that takens LP-E4's
8-10 fps
Usable at Iso 50k
Drop in focus screens
Radio based wireless Speedlight control (ST-E3 clone system via the menus that can also double as a wireless remote release)

OK I'll play.

Resolution increase only if noise control maintained at current levels.
Twin CF cards
EC in manual (via iso)
8-10 fps
Custom function settings from the 1DX with all the ones from the 7DMkII that the 1DX doesnt have.

Last edited:
OK I'll play.

Resolution increase only if noise control maintained at current levels.
Twin CF cards
EC in manual (via iso)
8-10 fps
Custom function settings from the 1DX with all the ones from the 7DMkII that the 1DX doesnt have.

That sounds pretty good to me
ISO improvement over resolution for me another stop and a half
Twin processors
Improved buffer
4k video
You guys have covered the rest

It should definitely have 4K video, 1080p is starting to look dated once you have anything to do with working with 4K.

As others have said, 4K video with 4.2.2 would be great but I am losing faith in Canon keeping up with Panasonic and Sony when they are trying to maintain demand and prices for their Cinema range

Really 4K video? The 5D is a photographers' camera first and foremost, surely the video side of things will be kept well muted on this range to keep Canon's 'interesting' marketing strategy intact ;)

Really 4K video? The 5D is a photographers' camera first and foremost, surely the video side of things will be kept well muted on this range to keep Canon's 'interesting' marketing strategy intact ;)

Hi Rod
I think the 5d range was a camera for everyone so The thought of 4k would fit if I remember rightly wasn't the mkiii the first Canon SLR to have the HDR function.
Rich

Hi Rich, I'm not sure on the HDR feature, but it sounds about right. I'm sure a few compacts had this beforehand but the Mk3 was probably the first Canon SLR to do this. I've found the HDR to be very last resort and usually use manual bracketing instead. The only issue I can see with Canon trying to do 4K internally is that their video codecs are awful for videographers, and no S-Log. Canon seem to love shooting themselves in the foot over the video quality and the rest of the market has cannibalised Canon's fantastic head start with the Mk2. Better off cannibalising your own sales that letting a rival do it for you!

I like the suggestions but I'm definitely not in favour of going to 2x CF slots. One of the big advantages of the dual system for me is that wherever you are it's quite easy to get replacement SD cards but CF cards are few and far between.

Add to this that CF slots have a nasty habit of breaking pins which leads to an expensive repair. Assuming Canon can solve the speed problems with the SD slot then I'd say keep the current system

4K video is pretty much essential for the 5D Mk IV seeing as how other brands such as Sony are starting to erode into Canon's low end videographer market (those who would buy 5D/6D/7D models, not 1Dx/1Dc customers)

I have no idea how they could make it work except with some very clever fiddling around, but being able to have an EVF in the viewfinder in live view mode would be a killer feature.

WiFi, NFC and GPS would be sensible options to build into a new optional battery grip as you probably wouldn't want to use these unless you had the extra battery power to compensate.

Charging the batteries through the USB port would also be an exceptionally useful function. Based on Canon's recent experiments i suspect wireless charging will be more likely (which is no bad thing).

I like the suggestions but I'm definitely not in favour of going to 2x CF slots. One of the big advantages of the dual system for me is that wherever you are it's quite easy to get replacement SD cards but CF cards are few and far between.

Add to this that CF slots have a nasty habit of breaking pins which leads to an expensive repair. Assuming Canon can solve the speed problems with the SD slot then I'd say keep the current system

4K video is pretty much essential for the 5D Mk IV seeing as how other brands such as Sony are starting to erode into Canon's low end videographer market (those who would buy 5D/6D/7D models, not 1Dx/1Dc customers)

I have no idea how they could make it work except with some very clever fiddling around, but being able to have an EVF in the viewfinder in live view mode would be a killer feature.

WiFi, NFC and GPS would be sensible options to build into a new optional battery grip as you probably wouldn't want to use these unless you had the extra battery power to compensate.

Charging the batteries through the USB port would also be an exceptionally useful function. Based on Canon's recent experiments i suspect wireless charging will be more likely (which is no bad thing).

I assume you mean buying cards abroad do you as I've never found any problem buying CF cards in this country no matter where I've been.

Having consistency right across the top models would make more sense and that would include batteries. Produce a system that minimises the changes photographers need to make when moving from body to body

None of my Canons have ever given me a problem with the CF pins nor have any bodies from all the canon users I know.

I assume you mean buying cards abroad do you as I've never found any problem buying CF cards in this country no matter where I've been.

Having consistency right across the top models would make more sense and that would include batteries. Produce a system that minimises the changes photographers need to make when moving from body to body

None of my Canons have ever given me a problem with the CF pins nor have any bodies from all the canon users I know.

It is true that you can find SD cards just about everywhere, whereas CF cards ar hard to find quickly - unless you like slapping 'Mug me' on your back and walking into a branch of Dixons or Maplins. I've never had any issues with bent pins but I have has issues with expensive SD cards falling apart! I prefer the robust nature of CF cards. Although I think manufacturers are going to consider adding CFast 2.0 cards very soon, which will be a real pain in the ****.

It is true that you can find SD cards just about everywhere, whereas CF cards ar hard to find quickly - unless you like slapping 'Mug me' on your back and walking into a branch of Dixons or Maplins. I've never had any issues with bent pins but I have has issues with expensive SD cards falling apart! I prefer the robust nature of CF cards. Although I think manufacturers are going to consider adding CFast 2.0 cards very soon, which will be a real pain in the ****.

Surely though if your serious about your photography you will take the trouble to make sure that you have a sufficient supply of cards.

A point to remember the best CF cards clear the buffer faster i have just been checking this point to see how quickly the 5ds buffer clears. There seems to be about 30 mb/s difference.

I like the suggestions but I'm definitely not in favour of going to 2x CF slots. One of the big advantages of the dual system for me is that wherever you are it's quite easy to get replacement SD cards but CF cards are few and far between..

This - dual media is useful, simple to drop the SD card into something (laptop/ipad) for editing/viewing.
No way should this be a crop camera - full frame all the way. There are other models inthe range if the OP wants a cop camera for sports.

I'd like to see thicker paint. As I've posted before, the paint has worn significantly from the base corner of my camera just from a years street photography and carrying the camera on a shoulder strap

Is this just because you want to use existing battery packs? Or because you expect better performance?

The big batteries from the 1 series bodies can drive the big tele lenses faster if the camera is optimised for them. The 7D MkII was the first non 1 series that could do this with the LP-E6 batteries. Personally I found that my 1DX was still faster to acquire focus.

There is a definite advantage to using fast CF cards in the 5D3, dont know whether thats been carried over to the 5DS though

This - dual media is useful, simple to drop the SD card into something (laptop/ipad) for editing/viewing.
No way should this be a crop camera - full frame all the way. There are other models inthe range if the OP wants a cop camera for sports.

I'd like to see thicker paint. As I've posted before, the paint has worn significantly from the base corner of my camera just from a years street photography and carrying the camera on a shoulder strap

When I say crop - It's a full frame camera with the ability to select a crop option, lowering the MP but giving more effective focal length. Like the D750 in 'crop mode'. This makes the camera so much more flexible. As for cards, adding an SD seems to slow the Canons down significantly, but I can live with it. It is convienient to be able to pop the SD card into built in readers. I agree about the paint although I'd never considered this before.

Is this just because you want to use existing battery packs? Or because you expect better performance?

Mainly becuase the LP-E4 batteries last so much longer, provide a higher voltage and last over a longer lifespan, in my exprience. Another big point is being able to not travel with two seperate charging systems which takes up valuble space when flying about the place.

The 5D MkIII is a very popular camera for videographers in no part due to the large range of lenses available hence the need for 4K if they are to retain this group of users

Any idea of a potential date/event for an official announcement ?

Back